Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking like a good year for peaches!

Posted by rob333 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 22, 12 at 13:14

I'm so excited. I just ate a peach they gave us at our employee appreciation lunch, and it wasn't mealy or hard or... it was good. And juicy. Last year was so disappointing, so I am doubly excited! Not to mention, the last couple of years crops have been hard hit here by tornadoes. Should be a good year for peaches

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking like a good year for peaches!

Bring 'em on! I'm ready for them...were they freestones?

jude

o

Oh I hope you are right. I adore a good peach. There have been years when every one I had was a dud. My niece brought some up from NC and they were delicious. Just perfect. Crossing my fingers. I wonder what makes the difference?

o

Pam, I've heard the weather has a LOT to do with it. whether there's too much rain, not enough rain, too hot, too cool etc. Anyhow I love the South Carolina peaches. DD#1 used to live in Spartanburg and she would always bring us some when she came our way. A couple of years ago she and I and 2 friends made an overnight trip to do a little shopping and get peaches. It's only a 3 hour drive for us.

jude

o

Was in Greer SC at Fishers Peach Orchard on Thursday. Peaches are outstanding, sweet juicy perfect. Freestones will not be ready until about the 2nd week of July. A big sign said the peaches are about 10 days early this year due to the extremely mild winter and early perfect spring. I plan to go back the 2nd week of July and get some freestones....they are the best.
Here is a link

Here is a link that might be useful: http://fishersorchard.com/

o

It is so disappointing to get a peach that never ripens or is just a mushy, mealy mess inside. Ugh. New Jersey peaches (it's not called the Garden State for nothing), are usually outstanding but they have their disappointing years.

Of course the grocery stores seem to import peaches from heaven-knows-where instead of providing the local produce that grows nearby.

Oooo, I want a peach!

o

Archie loved Cling Peaches.
Check out the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Archie's Cling Peaches

o

oops! I forgot about this thread. They were from our farmer's market, but they didn't say what type they were. Didn't even say Georgia or South Carolina, which they normally do. I think weather has everything to do with peach crop. At least it sure seems to, to me.

o

I got a few small but tasty Saturn, or donut, peaches off my baby tree a couple of weeks ago. And now the Babcock tree fruit is getting bigger and looking good. I bought a bag of large donut peaches at the Korean market nearby. So juicy.

o

Gina,

How do you prepare them? Or do you just "grab and go"?
-smiles

o

The quality of the peach depends on how far away from the point of purchase it was grown.
In Iowa, Missouri peaches are always best....in New Jersey, the Jersey peaches are heaven. In Colorado, the Colorado peaches are wonderful!
Toward the end of the season last year I got some California peaches....made jam and it tasted just like sweet stuff, only faintly peach flavored.
I wish I knew someone who had a plum tree....
Linda c

o

I can tell you, the very few Gerogia and SC peaches we've gotten the last couple of years have been awful. Good before and good this year. It's a four hour drive to Atlanta, so maybe 1 1/2 to the border? Close enough.

If we're talking trees, I'll take a lemon, lime and peach! I can live without apples, plums, or figs. Those always taste the same to me. I must not have ever had a "great" one of any of those. Of course, in the last couple of years, I've had local eggs and dairy, and they didn't strike me as all that different. They were organically raised too. Must just be my tastebuds (smile).

o

Grab and eat! No washing!

o

Twill be no local peaches this year and my trees that were loaded last year don't have a single one either, the early heat/late frost got them all.

I've gotten peaches twice from the grocery store, labelled only "product of the USA", who knows from where. They were small, mealy and didn't taste like anything. Sigh.

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here