SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sally2_gw

White Spelt flour as substitute for all purpose flour?

sally2_gw
13 years ago

My DS #2 moved across the country, and left me with much of his food, including white spelt flour. Last night I made a starter for ciabatta, but realized I'm out of all purpose flour. I have whole wheat flour and the white spelt flour on hand. Could I substitute the white spelt flour for all purpose flour? I've never used spelt flour before. As it is, the recipe I'm using is a white bread recipe, so using whole wheat flour is already an aberration from the original. This recipe is from The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion. I've made it according to the recipe several times, and it is very good. Now I'm ready to play with the recipe.

Biga

1/4 teaspoon instant yeast

1/2 cup (4 ounces) water

1 1/2 cup (6 1/4 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour

Dough

1 teaspoon (a very scant 1/8 ounce) instant yeast

2 teaspoons (1/8 ounce) nonfat dry milk

1 1/2 teaspoons (1/4 ounce) salt

3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons (7 3/4 ounces) water*

1 tablespoon (3/8 ounce) olive oil

2 cups 8 1/2 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour

* Use an additional 2 to 3 tablespoons water in the winter, or in very dry weather conditions.

To make the biga: Mix all the ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. cover the bowl, and let it rest for about 12 hours, or overnight.

For the dough: Use your fingers to pull the biga into walnut-sized pieces, and place the pieces into the bowl of an electric mixer. Add the yeast, dry milk, salt, water, olive oil, and flour, and beat slowly with a flat beater paddle or beaters for about 3 minutes. Replace the beater paddle with the dough hook, increase the speed to medium, and knead for 10 minutes. Teh dough should be very sticky and slack. Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl or dough-rising bucket, cover the bowl or bucket, andlet the dough rise for 2 to 3 hours, gently deflating it and turning it over every 45 minutes or so.

To shape the loaves: Transfer the dough to a lightly greased work surface and use a bench knife or dough scraper to divide it in half. Working with one half at a time, shape the dough into a rough log. Transfer the log to a parchment-lined baking sheet, or one sprinkled with cornmeal or semolina, and flatten it into an irregular 10 x 4-inch oval. Use your fingers - your entire finger, not just the tip - to indent the surface of the dough vigorously and thoroughly. Repeat with the remaining piece of dough. Cover the loaves with heavily greased plastic wrap or a proof cover, and set them aside to rise until very puffy, 2 to 3 hours, depending on the warmth of your kitchen.

Baking the bread: Half an hour before you want to bake the bread, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Spritz water into the oven with a clean plant mister for about 5 seconds. Place the bread in the oven and spritz water into the oven three more times during the first 10 minutes of baking. Bake the loves for a total of about 25 minutes, or until they're a deep golden brown and their interior temperature measures 210 degrees F. Remove the loaves from the pan and return them to the oven. Turn off the oven, crack the door open a couple of inches, and let the loaves cool completely in the oven. Dust the loaves generously with flour.

I've actually never done the last to things - letting the bread cool in the open oven or dusting them with flour, and I doubt I will, as I have a toddler living with me now, and it's just to dangerous.

Anyway, what do you all think about subbing spelt flour? I just have no idea.

Sally

Comments (7)