Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cold Soups/Hot Weather

Posted by tjmb (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 13:04

We're in for a week of 90+ weather and I'm already melting.... What's your favorite cold soup? Can it be made ahead?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cold Soups/Hot Weather

I think almost any cold soup can be made ahead of time. My own favorite is Vichyssoise, but I also like avocado soup and gazpacho, although I have never made gazpacho myself.

It's not hot enough here for me to think about cold soups, but I made them when I lived in Texas in the late 1980s. I used to get avocados for very cheap back then, but they came from Mexico.

Lars

o

I had the oven on this morning and what a mistake. Even the nighttime temps have been hot.
Kicked off the covers last night and now running the AC for the first time.
I was inspired last year by a Bittman NYTimes. Experimented with what i had on hand. Coming up on 4th of July, i always have seasonal things...watermelon, fresh corn, cukes.

I'm adding the link to the 12 cold soups but i don't want to use stove-top heat at all, so this is mine...

Watermelon Gazpacho

Tomatoes
Watermelon
cucumber
cilantro, chives, (or green onion)
lime or lemon, tbsp ac vinegar, just a swig of olive oil
-cube the above and pulse together in processor until smooth/chunky-not puree. top with salsa.

chunky salsa topping

(saving a bit of watermelon, fresh tomato, cucumber-left chunky chopped)
add avacado, fetta, greek yogurt, cilantro, lime
-the yogurt i just dollup on the soup before adding the salsa topping.
(or do a controlled cute swirl)

-I've added a bit of fresh habanero, fresh thyme, corn off the cob, avacado into the first processor blend or the greek yogurt with that blend for a variation. Both the soup and salsa topping can be made a day ahead. -Needs the citrus, lemon/lime, to keep the fresh flavor and color.
Like the copy part of the article states...use what you have fresh and on hand. I actually prefer my leek and potato based soups warm so i never make that in this heat.

Here is a link that might be useful: NYTimes 12 cold soups

o

I prefer hot soups to cold most of the time but one exception is this easy green pea soup.

Simmer some chopped onion or leek in chicken broth until it's soft. Then add a bag of frozen green peas and cook until they're defrosted and just barely cooked. Next, add a handful of mint and parsley leaves and purée with a stick blender. You could also purée in batches in a regular blender. Add S & P to taste and chill until ready to serve (can be a couple of days).

Add some milk or cream right before serving, if desired, but we like it plain.

photo Mintpea.jpg

o

My Dad loved soup and wanted it very hot. And the hotter the weather, the more he wanted soup.

o

I am going to make a creamy celery soup because my celery has really taken off. I found two recipes that say they are good hot or cold. One is celery and fennel. The other is celery, caraway seed and buttermilk.

I tried a new variety of celery this year in addition to the others I grow. This one is called Conquistador.

Sorry - saved version of the photo is not sideways! :-)

This post was edited by teresa_mn on Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 11:18

o

Thanks everyone for the recipes and the link to the NY Times. I’ll have to go shopping tonight. This is one of my favorite cold soups.

Cucumber Yogurt Soup
(Jane Brody)

2 medium cucumbers (1 pound)
peeled, seeded and finely diced
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 Tbsp. olive oil (optional)
1 Tbsp. snipped fresh dill or 1 tsp. dried dill
4 cups (1 quart) plain low-fat yogurt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh mint

Place the diced cucumbers in a colander over a bowl and sprinkle them with the salt, tossing to coat. Let them stand for 15 to 30 minutes.

In a large serving bowl, combine the cucumbers, garlic, oil (if desired), dill and yogurt. Mix the ingredients well.

Chill for at least 1 hour. Before serving, check the seasonings and add more salt & pepper if desired. Add mint. If the soup is too thick, dilute with a little ice water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here