SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

fresh pineapple ice cream

Lars
10 years ago

Yesterday I made a sort of pineapple ice cream, using fresh pineapple, and it turned out to be trickier than I expected. I had a hard time finding a recipe that I liked but finally settled on one that was essentially a creme Anglaise with pineapple added to it. It also used the pineapple juice, but since I did not get much juice from my pineapple, I used juice from some strawberries that I had macerated in sugar and lemon juice, thinking I might be making strawberry ice cream instead. The custard recipe used three eggs, one cup milk (I used reconstituted powdered milk), 1-1/2 cups cream, and 2/3 cup sugar, and so it was not a large recipe, but seemed right for the amount of pineapple I had left. I cut the pineapple Saturday morning and removed the eyes one by one to maximize the amount of pineapple I was going to get, and this took some time, but I was watching Rawhide on MeTV at the time, and was unaware that Clint Eastwood had the supporting role in that show, back in 1960.

Anyway, I ate some of the pineapple Saturday with some of the strawberries. The next day I added some sugar to the pineapple to make a syrup/juice to add to the custard before freezing it. Sunday was a bit warm, and when I tried to freeze the custard, it would not get hard, and I think either the freezer was not cold enough to start out with, or it warmed up quickly in the warm kitchen. I had intended to make a strawberry/pineapple ice cream, as I had added the strawberry juice to the the custard, but after I added the minced pineapple, there was really no more room for the strawberries, and there was enough pineapple that it didn't need it.

To finish freezing the ice cream, I poured it (it was still liquid) into plastic containers and stored those in the freezer. Then I took them out every 30 minutes to stir them to get the fruit suspended. I had to do this about three times before I felt that the fruit was not going to sink. Some recipes I read said that it was difficult to make ice cream using pineapple, but I can't remember exactly why.

Does anyone have a recipe for pineapple ice cream that would not be this labor intensive? Is it better to make vanilla ice cream and then add the pineapple as a topping? Today when I did another search for recipes, it occurred to me that I should have searched for helado de pina receta, and when I did that, I actually did find more recipes. Some of them did recommend making vanilla ice cream and then add caramelized pineapple after it was frozen. One recipe I found yesterday also recommended cooking the pineapple before adding it to the custard for freezing.

How would you make pineapple ice cream? There are very good pineapples in the market now, and I think making them into ice cream is a good way to preserve them, but I might also consider sorbet.

I haven't tasted the ice cream since it has been frozen, and so I'll let you know after lunch how it tastes.

Lars

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida