Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Homemade Chocolate and Caramel Sauces

Posted by ann_t (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 12:43

I want to share two new recipes.

I've tried a number of chocolate sauces over the years, some better than others.

But I think I have finally found one that I think is better than any of the others I have tried.

Chocolate Sauce
Source: Lenotre's Desserts and Pastries

9 ounces semi-sweet chocolate (I used 9 ounces of Callebaut Milk Chocolate)
1 cup milk
5 teaspoons creme fraiche or heavy cream
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons butter

Melt chocolate in double boiler. Bring milk to a boil, add the creme fraiche and bring back to a boil. Remove the pot from the heat, stir in the sugar, the melted chocolate and the butter. Replace the pot on the stove and boil the sauce for a few seconds. Pour into a bowl and cool.

Caramel Sauce with Condensed Milk

I was out of heavy cream and wanted to make a caramel sauce. So I used a can of condensed milk to make this sauce.

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup butter
Pinch of salt
1 can condensed milk
Vanilla

Mix Sugar, Maple Syrup, Butter and pinch of salt. Bring to a boil. Simmer for two or three minutes. Add Condensed milk, stirring until well mixed. Simmer for 60 seconds. Remove from heat, add vanilla. Pour into bowl or jar with lid and refrigerate.

If you can resist eating these sauces by the spoonful, they are wonderful warmed up and served over ice cream.

And the caramel sauce was perfect over bread and butter pudding.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Homemade Chocolate and Caramel Sauces

Swoon.

o

I only have bittersweet chocolate (although I have the rest of the ingredients) - should I double the sugar to make it with bittersweet instead of semi-sweet? I only have powdered milk, but I'm sure that would be fine in this recipe. I reconstituted some for another recipe, and it tasted like bottled milk to me - unlike powdered milk for the distant past.

I've been keeping heavy cream in stock so that I can make emergency ice cream, but I have enough ice cream in the freezer now, and so a chocolate sauce would be perfect. How do you think it would be on strawberry pineapple ice cream? I think I'm going to have to try it to find out!

Thanks for the recipes!

Lars

o

Mmmm! They look wonderful. Thanks for posting the recipes.

o

Oh, Ann, get your bad self (for posting such sweet temptations!) onto a plane heading for San Diego *right now!* and you can have at it in my kitchen!!!!! :O)

Soooooo lovely--thanks for posting the photos and sharing the recipes!!!

Smiles,
Sooz

o

If you can resist eating these sauces by the spoonful, they are wonderful warmed up and served over ice cream

Honey, you know I can't resist the spoon! Looking good, lady.

o

They look like either would be a very special treat. Thanks for sharing the recipes and pix.

One question though - for the caramel sauce, is the condensed milk the pre-sweetened kind or unsweetened evaporated milk? I wasn't sure if the terminology is the same in Canada as the U.S.

o

OP would have to verify, but I'm thinking NOT "sweetened/comdemsed", since significant amount of sugar(s) added... but DON'T take my word on that.

BUT I've made a pretty tasty caramel sauce from sweetened condensed... actually dulche de leche. UNopened can (remove paper wrapper) in pot deep enough to cover by an inch or so. Bring up to simmer and let go for... 1 hour will give you something about the color of posted picture... 2 hours darker and thicker. DO not attempt to open can till COOL. Makes for a nice cheese cake... layer on crust before base goes in, swirled thru base before baking or drizzled over finished/chilled cheese cake. A spoonful in your coffee is a nice change from sugar. It's addictive!

o

Ruthanna, yes, it was the sweetened condensed milk. Here evaporated milk is not referred to as condensed.

Klseiverd, I also make dulche de leche with condensed milk, but not in the can. It is not considered save to cook in the unopened can. So I pour a couple of cans into a pie plate, cover with foil and bake in a bain marie (water bath) for about 1 1/2 hours.

Thanks Shelley and Sooz.

Rob, me too.

Lars, did you make the sauce with powdered milk and Bitter Sweet Chocolate?

~Ann

o

I haven't made it yet - I was waiting to see how much sugar you thought I should add, but I guess I can do it by taste. I think I will start by increasing the sugar by 2 tablespoons and see how that is. I think I want to try this sauce on some angelfood cake that I have and add strawberries to it. Before I was eating the angelfood cake with strawberries and whipped cream, but now I think I will use the leftover unwhipped cream for the chocolate sauce. I do like strawberries with chocolate. The strawberries already have sugar added to them, and so I might not want the chocolate to be too sweet.

Lars

o

Lars, I would be tempted to increase the sugar by another 1/8th of a cup. The sauce was quite sweet using the milk chocolate and I'm sure it would have been sweet using the semi sweet chocolate.

~Ann

o

Thank you, Ann. I would have used the sweetened one but wanted to make sure.

o

I made the chocolate sauce this afternoon, and after it was cooled, it had the consistency of chocolate pudding - but a very intense chocolate pudding. I would have to say that it definitely is impossible to resist eating it with a spoon, but when it was warm, it was the perfect consistency for fondue. I think using reconstituted powdered milk in this recipe works perfectly fine. I used 9 oz. of bittersweet chocolate, 6 tablespoons sugar, and the rest of the recipe was unchanged.

I'm glad I made this - it was very easy, and I will make it again. Thanks, Ann!!

Lars

o

Ann I am drooling at your photos.

And tho I haven't (yet) tried these recipes, I must say that in my opinion the caramel sauce from your B&B Pudding recipe is tops in my book!

Linda

o

You are welcome Lars and Ruthanna.

Thanks Linda. I must say that I love the original caramel sauce too. It is good on so many things.

~Ann

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here