Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
piccalilli aka green tomato relish aka southern chow chow

Posted by moonwolf (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 27, 12 at 12:29

Hi everyone,

I found this recipe a while back and mentioned it to my sister. She and my cousin showed great interest in it lol. We have never eaten it but it sounds really delicious! Has anyone ever tried it? Here is the recipe:

Piccalilli AKA Green Tomato Relish AKA Southern Chow Chow

Yield: About 9 half pints (8 ounces each)

8-10 large green tomatoes-Makes 6 cups chopped
4-5 sweet red peppers (yellow and orange may also be used for color)-Makes 1 1/2 cups chopped
3 large green Bell peppers-Makes 1 1/2 cups chopped
1 large or 2 medium heads of cabbage-Makes 7 1/2 cups chopped
2 1/4 cups chopped onions
1/2 cup canning/pickling salt
3 Tablespoons mixed pickling spice
4 1/2 cups white vinegar (5% acidity)
3 cups brown sugar

Wash and chop vegetables as finely or as coarsely as you like. In a large pot, mix veggies with the salt and pour enough hot (NOT boiliing) water over the veggies. Let stand for 12 hours. Prepare canner, jars, and lids. Drain and dry veggies. Add spices to a spice bag, a piece of cheesecloth, or a piece of clean, thin cotton, and tie. Add spice bag, vinegar, and brown sugar to a large pot. Bring to a boil, add veggies, and return to a boil. Remove spice bag. Fill jars to a 1/4 inch headspace, remove air bubbles, wipe rims, and seal. Process 5 minutes in a boiling water canner. Remove jars from canner and let cool for 24 hours. Once jars are completely cooled, label and store. Enjoy!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: piccalilli aka green tomato relish aka southern chow chow

My grandmother made something like that.....but it included some cauliflower. I don't have her recipe....and frankly I doubt if she had one....just dumped stuff in a pot!
Sounds good to me!
Linda c

o
re: piccalilli aka green tomato relish aka southern chow chow

Hi Linda, lol my grandmother (the one who's recipes I share all the time), doesn't have a written recipe for anything she made either. Just had to watch her make it to see how it was done lol.

A correction to the recipe, it's supposed to be 1/2 inch headspace, not 1/4 inch headspace.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

My grandmother always added a little tumeric to make it neon yellow (and the cauliflower bits). I have fond memories of it!

Alexa

o

Cauliflower sounds like a wonderful addition. I have two medium heads of cabbage- but one is green and one is purple. Think it would work?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here