Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
starting a new canning hobby need pickle recipes

Posted by okie_redhead (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 16, 10 at 12:19

Good Morning,

I have decided I want to start canning more than just blackberry jelly and am wanting to start with pickling. I have found a place to get the small pickling cucumbers and am looking for some good safe recipes. I have some from my grandma and great grandma but they don't include water baths and I am scared to make them. Does anyone have any really good dill, sweet and bread and butter pickle recipes? I am getting a 1/2 bushel they say around 25lbs to start with this weekend. I am so excited.

Thanks
Melissa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: starting a new canning hobby need pickle recipes

Here's a great Sweet Pickle (posted by LindaLou on the Harvest forum who is a Master Food Preserver in Washington State).

Sweet pickle chunks

Pour boiling water over 24 pickling cukes for 4 days. On 5th day, drain, cut cukes in chunks (or spears if you prefer).
Make this syrup and pour over cukes:
8 cups sugar
4 cups cider vinegar 5% acidity
3 1/2 tsp. pickling and canning salt
2 Tbsp. pickling spices, tied in a bag.

Drain and heat syrup for 3 more days.(It is the same batch of syrup, just drain and reheat.I get lots of questions about that part.) On 4th day, pack pickles into jars, seal with lid. Process in water bath canner for 10 minutes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And here's a safe Dill Recipe that is very good (same source).

Kosher Dill (Heinz Recipe)

4 lbs pickling cukes
14 cloves garlic, peeled & split
1/4 cup salt
2 3/4 cups distilled or apple cider vinegar 5% acidity
2 3/4 cups water
12 to 14 sprigs fresh dill weed
28 peppercorns

Wash cucumbers; remove 1/16 inch from blossom end, cut in half lengthwise. Combine garlic and next 3 ingredients; heat to boiling. Remove garlic and place 4 halves into each clean jar, then pack cucumbers, adding 2 sprigs of dill and 4 peppercorns. Pour hot vinegar solution over cucumbers to within 1/2 inch of top. Immediately adjust covers as jar manufacturer directs. Process 10 minutes in BWB. Makes 6-7 pints.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm not a big Bread & Butter fan, so don't have a T & T recipe for those, but I'm sure someone will post one.

I do have recipes for Fermented Dills, Zucchini Relish and Dill Relish if you're interested too!

Have fun and be sure to check out the Harvest Forum for lots of canning, preserving recipes and advice!

Deanna

o

I can sure vouch for that first pickle recipe, I love it. I don't care as much for sour pickles, or dills, but I love those sweet chunks, they're great in tuna salad and yummy just by themselves. Ashley and her friends tend to start snitching the chunks of pickles out of the bucket as soon as they've set for a day in the syrup.

Oh, and that first step? I use fresh boiling water each day, but when you get to the syrup step, you just reheat the syrup, don't make new stuff.

I also have this bread and butter pickle recipe from the Ball Blue Book, although I like the onions better than I like the cucumbers:

Bread and Butter Pickles
(taken from Ball Blue Book of Preserving)

4 pounds 4 to 6 inch cucumbers, cut into 1/4 inch slices
2 pound onions, thinly sliced
1/3 cup canning salt
2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons mustard seeds
2 teaspoons turmeric
2 teaspoons celery seed
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon peppercorns
3 cups apple cider vinegar

1. Combine cucumber and onion slices in a large bowl, layering with salt.
2. Cover with ice cubes and let stand 1 1/2 hours.
3. Drain, rinse, drain again.
4. Combine remaining ingredients in a large saucepot. Bring to a boil.
5. Add drained cucumbers and onions and return to a boil.
6. Pack hot pickles and liquid into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
7. Remove air bubbles. Put on 2-piece lids.
8. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
9. Allow 4 to 6 weeks for flavors to develop.
* Makes about 7 pints

Remember, you can pickle lots of stuff, I made bread and butter jalapenos with Carol's recipe last year and Elery loved them. Ashley likes the dilled green beans and I like pickled beets, there's lots of room out there for pickled vegetables.

Right now my modem at home is on the fritz, so I can only post at work and most of my recipes are not here, so hopefully someone else will bump in and help you too.

Annie

o

REFRIGERATOR PICKLES

Pat - Holy Cross Cook book
Tami OH

Slice onion in bottom of gallon jar. Slice pickles to fill but do not peel. Boil syrup, until dissolved and pour over pickles and refrigerate

4 c. white vinegar
1 t. mustard seed
4 c. sugar
1 t. tumeric
c. canning salt
1 t. celery seed

For 1 quart Jar = recipe

1 T. canning salt
1 rounded t. mustard seed
1 rounded t. tumeric
t. celery seed
3 large cucumbers

18 pickle size cucumbers make about 2 quarts of pickles.

These are great. Like bread and butter pickles. Just pour the hot syrup on, put the lids on and refrigerate. No boiling water bath or anything. They MUST be refrigerated. I do them year round, if I can get the small cukes at a decent price in good condition. My MIL made them in gallon jars, but I don't have that kind of room, so I make quarts.

Enjoy your new endevor.

Tami

o

I hope Sharon (Chase) posts. You definitely need her Dill Pickle recipe. It is the "BEST". I've never had better dill pickles.

Ann

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here