Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cocoa question

Posted by countrygal_905 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 22, 12 at 12:14

If a recipe calls for cocoa, can you use either dutch-processed or hershey's cocoa? When can't you sub one for the other? I didn't even realize there were different kinds until the chocolate ice cream thread. Thanks your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cocoa question

If the recipe has only baking soda as a leavener (no baking powder) and no acid to react with the baking soda, you should use Hershey's and not Dutch-process. Dutch-process cocoa is alkalized, that is, processed to make it less acidic.
That's the only time it really matters.

o

cc - thank you so much. I never knew. I have used Hershey's for everything.

o

countrygal, I've also used Hershey's almost exclusively because that's the only kind available here in my small independent grocery.

Then I went to Grand Rapids and found Rodelle dutch processed. Oh my, it's my favorite now, it's so much better than Hershey's.

I don't use cocoa all that much, I have a couple of cake recipes and frosting recipes that use it, my favorite brownie recipe calls for it, a couple of cookie recipes use it. I've not had any trouble subbing yet and I haven't used it to make hot chocolate, but I'm betting it's gonna be good!

It's more expensive than Hershey's but if you can find some, try it, it's very good.

Annie

o

countrygal, I've also used Hershey's almost exclusively because that's the only kind available here in my small independent grocery.

Then I went to Grand Rapids and found Rodelle dutch processed. Oh my, it's my favorite now, it's so much better than Hershey's.

I don't use cocoa all that much, I have a couple of cake recipes and frosting recipes that use it, my favorite brownie recipe calls for it, a couple of cookie recipes use it. I've not had any trouble subbing yet and I haven't used it to make hot chocolate, but I'm betting it's gonna be good!

It's more expensive than Hershey's but if you can find some, try it, it's very good.

Annie

o

I know purists prefer dutch process, but when I've used it, I've found there's a HUGE difference in the finished product. Hershey's seems to give a much better texture, and more moist product. Everytime I've tried the DP, my baked goods have come out dry and NOT with the great chocolate flavor I expect.

But, I'll be the first to say, it all depends upon what you grew up with. Mom always used Hershey's, it's the flavor I'm used to, and the one I still prefer.

o

The best use for Dutched cocoa is when it is a stand alone flavor in a beverage, frozen dessert (such as chocolate ice cream or frozen yogurt), or for dusting - due to the less acidic, but rich taste. The flavor of Dutched cocoa is easily lost in a mixture of other flavors, such as cherries or almond flavoring.

Dutched cocoa has a pH of 6.4-7.8 while Natural cocoa and chocolate comes in at 5.3-6.0. For general baking use regular (nonalkalized) cocoa powder.

-Grainlady

o

annie, azzalea, & grainlady - thanks so much for the additional information. I truly appreciate it. I learn so much from this forum.

o

azzelea, I'm definitely not a purist and I grew up on Hershey's, but I am far more fond of dark chocolate than I am milk chocolate and that's why I like the Rodelle's. It's just darker and more chocolate-y, and seems far less sweet.

I haven't noticed a texture difference but I haven't tried in in a couple of my old "stand-by" recipes because I don't have it all the time and it isn't easily accessible, while Hershey's is just half a mile away, LOL.

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here