Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cooking for one!?!

Posted by klseiverd (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 11:48

I swear by my Food Saver as someone usually cooking 1-2 portions of about anything... for dinner and then lunch the next day most of the time.

A regular sized package of something like boneless/skinless chicken breasts or even ground beef is WAY more than I want to cook. I repackage into individual portions and vac seal... no freezer burn.

And yesterday had 2 MAJOR scores at yard sales. Spent $10 and came home with bags easily worth $50... an UNOPENED box of 4 rolls, a package of 30-40 (I'm guessing" quart bags, and 2-3 almost whole rolls. AND an upgrade to the FS I already have!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cooking for one!?!

that has to be one of the best yard sale finds ever! My recipes are for two people and now it's just me so I vac-seal leftovers and don't have to cook as often. :-)

o

That certainly WAS a great find. I once was in a salvage store that had FoodSaver pre-cut bags and rolls of bags "dirt cheap" and I purchased all they had and used them for years.

Personally, I'd rather cook large batches, portion/freeze/vacuum-seal, and only have to make some things a few times year, when possible.

You can pay around $1 for one cup of rice you can microwave in one minute (comes 2 containers to a box) - which is very convenient for people who are cooking for one or two. Or you can buy rice in bulk and it will cost around 5-cents per 1 cup of cooked rice if you cook it yourself and freeze it. I try to make the largest amount I can in the rice cooker and then freeze it in user-friendly portions. I may only make rice twice a year using this method. Same thing for a variety of beans - it's much cheaper than buying canned beans.

-Grainlady

o

I'm pretty good at cooking JUST enough rice for 1-2 servings, BUT I'm one of those people who always cooks too much pasta!?! It vac seals well (rice, too) and ready to eat in no time from frozen.

The 2 main supermarkets I go to will often SLASH prices on meat/chicken when it's 2-3 dates BEFORE sell-by date. I'll reportion, vac and freeze for future meals.

The FS bags aren't terribly expensive, but certainly NOT CHEAP... it's gonna be a nice LONG time before I'll even have to think of buying more!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here