Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grilling question

Posted by triciae (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 11:33

It's hot. It's humid. I don't feel good. DH still has no enthusiasm for cooking/eating. I've got a pork tenderloin, a pound of young tops-on carrots, and 3 small Yukon Gold potatoes. For dessert, I've got blackberries and blueberries. Plus, a bit of leftover watermelon that we are sick of eating.

I was thinking of grilling the tenderloin outside, making muffin cup scalloped potatoes and a carrot pudding in those individual white porcelain souffle cups using a water bath. The tenderloin is easy but can I make the sides on the grill? I could make a water bath for the carrots using a cast iron skillet to hold the porcelain cups. My muffin cups are just the standard ones - don't have any cast iron ones.

Will this work? Or, will I ruin my cookware and dinner both?

Any better ideas????

Also, what can I make for dessert with those ingredients using the grill?

Thanks.

/tricia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grilling question

Dessert - make the berries and watermelon into a smoothie, serve it nice and cold.

I don't see why your muffin cups would be discolored as long as they are not directly on the grill grate.

DH getting better?

o

I'd grate the carrots and eat as a salad w/apple/raisins/pineapple - whatever you have on hand. (not sure about watermelon, but it might taste good). I use vanilla yogurt as a dressing with some cinnamon, but mayo is traditional. chunk the potatoes and put in foil on the grill with some oil or butter and herbs.

You could make a berry cobbler or crisp in your cast iron and cook it on the grill.

Here is a link that might be useful: grilled fruit crisp

o

Why not just grill the whole dinner on the grill. You can grill the carrots and potato slices directly on the grill.

Just rub the potatoes and the carrots with oil, salt and pepper. You can also season the oil with fresh garlic before brushing.

If the potatoes are small, just cut them in half, rather than slices.

o

You got ingredients for a healthy and delicious meal.

Grilled Pork Tenderloin, [in fact, Paula Deen's recipe. :-) ]

Just substitute tamarind concentrate with blackberry blueberry puree.

dcarch
------------------------------------------------------
Ingredients:

Marinade:
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 oranges, juices
1 lime, juiced
1/2 cup tamarind concentrate
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon chopped scallions
1 pork tenderloin (about 12 ounces)
Olive oil, for brushing

Directions:

Combine marinade ingredients in measuring cup and stir to combine. Place the pork tenderloin in a plastic, sealable bag. Pour marinade over the tenderloin and seal bag. Marinate overnight in the refrigerator.

Preheat an outdoor grill or preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Remove pork tenderloin from marinade and pat dry. Brush olive oil onto grill and over meat for extra flavor. Reserve marinade. Grill tenderloin until cooked through, about 30 minutes to 40 minutes over medium heat. Or roast in oven for 35 to 45 minutes. Allow meat to rest about 10 minutes before cutting into 2-inch serving pieces.

While meat is grilling, bring reserved marinade to a boil in a small saucepan, then lower the heat and gently simmer until it is reduced to about 2 tablespoons. Stir occasionally. Drizzle a small amount of marinade over each piece of meat.

This post was edited by dcarch on Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 14:39

o

I'd grill it all, also. I'd want some browning on my potatoes which the water bath wouldn't promote.

o

Hot and humid here too. Temps are 86 and 78% humidity and no breeze. I say grill it all. Rub the tenderloin with your favorite herbs after oiling, put the pots and carrots in a hobo packet. I like Penzeys Greek seasoning for the pork.

Or grill the potatoes and nuke the carrots.

Top the berries with vanilla yogurt or sweetened sour cream. Use the watermelon pressed through a sieve and the juice added to lemonade. Add vodka if you like.

I don't handle humidity well so I am not even grilling. Biting the bullet and baking a pizza. We also have storms in the area and I can guarantee you that the minute I would want to put something on the grill it will pour.

of course, you could always make reservation or grab take out. Just take care of yourself in the heat.

o

I grill less when it is hot and humid so I would fillet the tenderloin, rub with something and roast at 500 with the carrots all drizzled with olive oil.

Start the cubed or baked potatoes and a fruit crisp earlier then crank the heat up.

I have ac but outside is yucky.

o

Grill the watermelon until nicely marked and just slightly golden, toss with a few of the berries and drizzle with honey. Serve warm or chilled. Yum.

Steve

o

John, a smoothie would be perfect for me but DH would not think it was dinner. He's a Colorado boy. That pretty much summarizes his preferences in cuisine. He's feeling better but still has "episodes". We haven't heard a word from the State or town on the investigation.

Olychick, the grated carrots sound cool and refreshing but past what I can do physically. :( But going to give that grilled crisp a try topped with a scoop of ice cream. Thanks!

Ann, sounds good but I know I can't stand long enough to watch the carrots/potatoes if they are directly on the grill.

dcarch, your marinade sounds yummy but I don't have any citrus or taminard. Keeping for another time though.

FOAS, I was going to make the carrots into a pudding-like dish and use the water bath for those. Then, cook the 3 small spuds in muffin cups.

Peppie, your hobo packs sound perfect! Done deal. I'll start the grill about 7:30 when it's cooler with an eye to the sky. We're supposed to have a slight chance of storms tonight also.

BB, we've got AC but sorta have a "rule" that it doesn't get used until July. A couple more days.... Also, I really can't stand and lift stuff in/out of the oven.

Thanks everybody. I was over complicating things. Peppie's right...I forgot to KISS! :)

/tricia

o

Had a time when had no oven... burners worked but range was old enough that I felt not worth PAYING someone to come in and tell me it was something that would cost BIG $$ to fix. Happened during warm weather when I generally avoid the oven anyway, so went pretty much that whole summer using grill as "oven". Would heat both sides of grill to high... not a high end model, so no real idea how hot it was? Then would turn off one side and cook over indirect heat (lid closed). Remember roasting a chicken in a pan, so I could get juices for gravy. A veggie casserole came out very nice in cookware that could be in oven or burner, like Corningware. Even made a bundt cake... and did NOT taste like it was BBQd!!

o

Very ambitious for not feeling well. : (

I've been doing 'packets' prepped early morning and all ready to put on the grill later.
(i caved and set the ac on 82 but still hot trying to get some yard work done)

I've been avoiding the grocery and using what i have on hand as well.
I bet the cast iron water bath would work fine. I'm always putting mine on the grill for this and that...keeping bbq sauce warm...
Last weekend i used a vintage enameled pie tin, two big bits of foil pressed in, then parchment, then a dry rubbed hunk of pork tip scored with x's, wrapped it all up and grilled to braze in its own juices, then slid it out onto the tin with its juices for final browning.
(the enameled tin was black, oops, but a soaking overnight with baking soda and a blurb of bleach and it was cleaner than i have seen it in years)
I have to do similar 'packets' for veggies...a layer of thin sliced potato, sweet potato, onion, herbs and any garden veggies on top like baby carrots, even greens like collards sliced thin.
-i have to get crafty at the mountain cabin.
We eat so much fresh fruit during the day that i like a warm dessert in the evening no mater the hot temps. I might try the cast iron water bath since i should have an abundance of fruit this year. I have had success with a rustic crostini on the grill. Always a bit smokey, lol.
I do have some heavy thick coffee mugs in the barn from a yardsale, thick like diner mugs.
A chunk of dark chocolate, then berries, maybe a quick crumble top? yum.

o

tricia, was it you that gave instructions on grilling Lobster tails? Have you ever bought frozen ones? If so are they okay? TIA for any information you can share.

o

Hi eandhl,

Yes, I gave Lars instructions for grilling a couple lobster tails maybe about two years ago.

No, I've never purchased frozen lobster. When I was in Denver, we went out for lobster. Now, my DH has a recreational lobster permit and we trap our own as a hobby. But, lots of people buy and enjoy frozen. I'd give it a try!

/tricia

o

tricia, would you give the directions again?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here