Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there anything you bake with strawberries . . .

Posted by lpinkmountain (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 10:59

that you like?? I'm not talking about something with strawberries as a topping, I'm talking about strawberries baked into it. I think they kinda wash out when baked, but I always seem to have ones sitting around that I can't eat up. I've tried a few recipes, even one that sounded great, strawberry lemon yogurt bread, but it just wasn't all that great. Anyone have any tip or recipes using baked strawberries that they like? I'm going to try this recipe for strawberries and cream muffins next time I have some berries around. Jane's Sweets & Baking Journal, Strawberries and Cream Muffins. I'm also thinking they might be good on a summer torte using Marion Burros(?) recipe, but I'm going to need to get a torte pan if I'm going to try that one!

Of course I eat tons of them fresh, but sometime I like to bake and freeze things for later, its hard for single me to always eat up all the produce I buy. I wonder too if I will attempt jam this year. Probably depends on how good the strawberry crop is.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there anything you bake with strawberries . . .

I don't, because I don't like cooked strawberries. I only like fresh strawberries. I don't care for jam and cooked strawberries taste like jam to me. They don't retain the same flavour when cooked.
Strawberry rhubarb pie is quite common.

~Ann

o

ATK did a strawberry cake recently, and I recorded the show so that I could make the recipe later but have not done it yet.

When I was about 19 or 20, I saw Julia Child make a strawberry souffle, and it was to simple that I was able to make the recipe right after watching the show. It was fabulous, and I do recommend looking for the souffle recipe if you want something baked with strawberries, but I'm not sure how it would freeze. If I want to freeze strawberries, I make strawberry ice cream.

Lars

o

Lpink,

If I have extra strawberries I dehydrate them. Like Ann T., I don't care for strawberries cooked (although other fruits I do like cooked). After dehydrating, I snack on them straight from the Mason jar or use as a topping for granola. Their flavor is intensified - one of my favorite snack type foods.

/tricia

o

That was the first and only souffle I made Lars, strawberry souffle. That was back in the day when I was living at home so I must have been either in high school or middle school. I wonder if I used Julia's recipe? I doubt it, we didn't have that cookbook. But I do remember it tasted good. Funny, I don't remember actually making the souffle, just eating it. I wonder if my mom made it. It might have even been souffle with warm strawberry sauce. In fact that might have been it.

I make strawberry rhubarb pie every year because it is BF's favorite. I make strawberry preserves to use as sauce later in the year, that's the best way to preserve the strawberry taste, IMHO. They loose a lot of flavor upon freezing too. Strawberry freezer jam tastes quite fresh though. Anyway, I am still interested in baking with them, I rarely make fresh desserts, they mold on me before I can eat them all up. I guess I could make individual pies and freeze those. I haven't had luck in the past with this though because I loathe fussing with pie crust. My attempt at hand pies was not all that great, kinda doughy. Making individual small pies is like everything I dislike multiplied! That's why I'm more of a crisp and cobbler gal!

o

The only baked goods I make with strawberries are strawberry-streusel muffins for morning meetings or the strawberry cake at the link below. Both need to be eaten soon after baking and start to get soggy right away from the berries so neither would be a candidate for freezing.

I have tried a couple of quick bread recipes with strawberries and they went into the Do Not Repeat category.

If I have extras, I wash and hull them, mash half and quarter half and mix them together and freeze. When defrosted, they're fine for smoothies or serving over pound cake or ice cream.

Here is a link that might be useful: Martha Stewart's Strawberry Cake

o

Oooh, I'm gonna have to try dehydrating them with my new food dehydrator that BF got me for Christmas. So far all I've done with it is cherry toms. Snacking strawberries sound great for using with granola!

o

Hey Lars I found that recipe from ATK online and they basically macerate the strawberries and then reduce the juice to a syrup and then add that and the strawberries back into the cake. That's the same trick they do with their famed blueberry muffin recipe to intensify the blueberry flavor. It is a great trick for these watery berries. Basically it is making fresh strawberry preserves. I had a feeling the secret was going to be something like that. Yet another reason for me to make my strawberry preserves, that way I can save the strawberries and then make a fresh cake any time of year I want to, particularly if I mix the preserves with some re-hydrated or frozen berries. I can't wait for strawberry season! Last year my job was so crazy I totally missed it. Didn't even get so much as a pint to eat fresh.

o

I haven't done it for a long time, but I used to make strawberry cake (don't make a lot of cakes now). No preserves step. Just cut up the strawberries and mash them a little with a fork and stir them into a stiff cake batter (i.e., without too much liquid. That way you get strawberry pieces all through. YUM!

But, of course, if you make preserves, as you said, you can make cake any time of year.

o

My wife makes a strawberry rhubarb pie using no recipe. She mixes the strawberries with the rhubarb, butter, sugar, tapioca and whatever she feels like the just pours it into a frozen pie crust and bakes it. Idea apparently passed down from Norwegian Mormon ancestors.

o

i decided to dehydrate some strawberries the other day. Absolutely fantastic! The flavor is so concentrated and really shows up in the baked goods.

My daughter used them in place of dried apricots in a cookie. Delish!

She then use them in muffins in place of dried cherries. Excellent!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dehydrator I Use

o

I made this last year and it was very good! Originally posted by Suzytwo

STRAWBERRY RHUBARB COFFEE CAKE

** FILLING **
3 cups sliced rhubarb, -- 1 inch pieces
1 quart fresh strawberries, -- diced/mashed
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch

** CAKE **
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup butter or margarine, -- cut into pieces
1 ½ cups milk (buttermilk is even better)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

** TOPPING **
¼ cup butter or margarine
¾ cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup sugar
Preheat oven to 350.
In a large saucepan, combine rhubarb, strawberries and lemon juice. Cover and cook over medium heat about 5 minutes. Combine sugar and cornstarch, stir into saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened; remove from heat and set aside.

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. (I used my hands, pressing the butter into the flour. Use cool butter) Beat milk, eggs, and vanilla; stir into crumb mixture.

Spread half the batter evenly into a greased 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Carefully spread filling on top. Drop remaining batter by tablespoonfuls over filling.

For topping: melt butter in microwave over low heat, stir in flour and sugar until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over batter. Lay foil on lower rack to catch any juicy fruit spillovers.

Place coffee cake on middle rack, bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes. Cool in pan. Cut into squares.
Posted 6/10/08 by Susytwo

Linda

o

We only had 2 bananas for a banana bread recipe that called for 3 bananas. Added some slightly overripe strawberries instead, and it was quite tasty...

o

My grandmother made Azar's Strawberry Pie and it was delicious. I still have her recipe. Grandma would be 118 if she was still alive so I think this recipe is from the 1950s or 1960s.

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Azar's Strawberry Pie

o

I love strawberries but they are high on the dirty dozen list and I wouldn't go out of my way to eat more non organic ones. I don't have access to organic ones here but I wish I did!

o

I am lucky, I can buy mine locally, i can see them growing behind the farm stand. There are also tons of U-pick options where I live. I'm sure they use pesticides but probably not as much as the ones we get here in the Midwest off-season shipped in from CA. I have researched how to wash them too. The thing you most have to worry about is pesticides that are absorbed into the tissues of the plants and fruits. The FDA doesn't test for that very much and there is no way to wash it off. That's why I prefer to get my berries locally and preserve them for the rest of the year. I can't afford the ones shipped in from warmer climates off-season here, and I don't think they taste all that great anyway, not to mention the pesticides. That's why I make strawberry jam and preserves, to have some "summer in a jar" after the season is over! Sadly, I no longer have access to a big freezer so it's going to be jams or preserves or dried this year. I think that is actually fine for most fruits.

Strawberry banana bread sounds great, BTW. Right now I am enjoying "hummingbird" cupcakes, which are basically banana pineapple cakes with coconut. I'm sure I could sub mashed strawberries for the pineapple!

This post was edited by lpinkmountain on Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 9:28

o

Strawberries are good on a Summer Torte, alone or with other fruit. I don't have a torte pan; i just bake it in a regular cake or pie pan. It's a very forgiving recipe.

o

I was making a crisp while visiting at our son's house a couple of weeks ago and came up short on available fruit (what I didn't have to go shopping for). I used blueberries, strawberries and apples and it turned out well.

o

I make strawberry cobbler when they are in season and very tasty. I get 2 PB refrigerated pie crusts and use an 8x8 square glass pan. I spray the pan with Pam and work one of the crusts to cover the bottom and come up the sides as best I can. I cut the strawberries in half with tops gone. I rinse them off but don't try to drain them too dry. I add sugar, about 1/2-3/4 cup, and about 1/3 c. cornstarch. Pour the strawberries into the bottom crust and dot about 2T of butter cut in small pieces over the berries so that all areas are likely to get a little butter. I take softened butter and smear the top crust, then cut strips to make the top, leaving only small gaps between the strips; I am too lazy to do lattice. I sprinkle the buttered side of the strips with a bit of sugar. Bake at 350 until the pie is bubbling and the crust is golden. Great with ice cream, but plenty good to stand alone.

o

This showed up in my inbox today

The Yankee Magazine recipe box for strawberries.

Ours have peaked, though there are still good ones left to pick.

Farther north, they should be about ready to go

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

o

Cream cheese pound cake with strawberry sauce may just have to be Dad's father's day present! I wonder if I could use ricotta instead, I have a whole bunch of that!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here