Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Your favorite roasted veggies?

Posted by angelaid (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 10:49

Just getting into roasting veggies. Last night was crookneck squash, zucchini, crimini mushrooms and onions. Drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with a little sea salt. Roasted at 350 for half an hour.

What are your favorite roasted veggies and methods of cooking?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Your favorite roasted veggies?

Cauliflower, brussel sprouts, beets, carrots, parsnips, leeks - all with olive oil and garlic. I am not saying I mix them together - just listing the ones I like in the order of favorites!

Teresa

o

I don't think I've ever had a parsnip. Similar flavor/texture to a turnip?

o

It has been a while since I have had a turnip. Parsnips have a slightly "sweet" taste and go particularly well with carrots when roasted.

o

Asparagus!

o

Potatoes, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, beets, tomatoes, well pretty well anything really :-)

o

Asparagus is my favorite roasted vegetable too. I put them in a pie plate, drizzle with olive oil and lime juice, and bake at 375 for about 15 minutes. I often pull them out and sprinkle on some grated Piave cheese and return them to a 400 degree oven for 3 or 4 minutes.

photo 100_2609.jpg

o

I think my favorite would have to be butternut squash, but I also like asparagus, kohlrabi, radishes, turnips, parsnips, carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions, garlic scapes.

I used to think I could roast any vegetable, but I've found that I don't care for broccoli roasted, or Brussels sprouts because they get too brown for my liking before they get tender. I prefer rutabaga boiled and mashed and green beans just don't work well roasted for me either, I also prefer them cooked in other ways.

Annie

o

Annie, what about parboiling the broccoli and cauliflower brfore roasting?

o

Oh, my goodness, those look good! Hubby doesn't care for most fresh veggies unless they are cooked to death and drowned in cheese sauce. He scarfed down a 9x13 pan of the veggies last night.

o

Asparagus, eggplant, onions, bell peppers, and potatoes.
EVOO, Kosher salt, and rosemary.

o

I prefer to roast at 500 degrees on a dark pan for about 6 minutes for asparagus, 10 for cherry tomatoes and 8 for sugar snap peas. Those are my favorites.
I do coat lightly in oil olive and add various dried herbs.
Brown, caramelized veggies that are still crisp are my favorite.

o

I roast everything.

Vegetables all require different time to get done. Some I steam first then roast, otherwise the outside gets burned and inside is still not cooked.

dcarch

o

I really do not roast vegetables in the oven, but I do grill a lot of them, which might be similar, and my favorites are pretty much the same as what you list: zucchini, crookneck squash, onions, mushroom, and red bell peppers. I used to put them on skewers, but lately I've been putting them in wire box cages so they can be turned easily and not fall off. Generally I separate the vegetables into individual cages - one for mushrooms, one for onion and peppers, one for zucchini and squash. I had these very same vegetables at an Argentine restaurant in Culver City last week, and they prepared them exactly the same way I do, except that I often marinate the mushrooms in a sort of vinaigrette marinade. Sometimes I use the same marinade for the zucchini, but usually olive oil and black pepper is enough - I prefer them without salt, but I've always prefered squash without salt. It taste sweet to me that way.

I expected to see corn on this list, but I guess no one roasts corn.

Lars

o

sushi, that would be a good idea, except that I just don't like broccoli roasted, for some reason. IT's the Brussels sprouts that I don't care for roasted because they don't get done enough, even if I cut them in quarters. They get very brown but never actually tender, for some reason. I've even tried steaming them first but I guess it's just one of those things I don't like.

Cauliflower? Now that I like roasted, but not any other way. No matter how many times people tell me that I can't tell mashed cauliflower from mashed potatoes, trust me, I can! I don't care for it raw either, or with cheese, but I do like it roasted.

Annie

o

All of the above, all veggies mentioned and more. Tossed in evoo, s&p, fresh rosemary. Start at 400 with what needs longer cooking...head of garlic, quartered beet, potatoes...set the timer for 20 minutes, turn down to 325, then add the next few veggies, sweet potato cubed, red pepper, carrots, onion etc. 20 more minutes, then lay less needed cooking on top, like asparagus, baby leeks, snap peas...for the last 5 min.
-best that they all fit a cookie sheet in one layer
Good leftovers for a sunday morning hash with eggs, ham, bacon, prosciutto. Rarely have bacon but prosciutto under the broiler toasted over left-over roasted mixed veggies is delish.

It is the best way to try something i'm not familiar with. When i see something odd in the international markets i'll roast it with our standard garlic, beet, potato, sw potato, carrot.
Always make a big mixed roasted veg for holiday meals. Satisfies the vegetarians.
(their is always one...nephews new girlfriend, my 6yr old niece, haha, that lasted two days)

o

I can't think of a veggie I don't like roasted or grilled, even broccoli. I learned a trick with summer squash and zucchini that makes them even better roasted or grilled. In Carla Hall's cookbook, she recommends scraping the seeds out before grilling. I think that would apply to roasting, also. I've never done this before with zucchini, and I love it roasted or grilled. Anyway, removing the seeds keeps those squashes from getting soggy. It works. One of those "duh!" moments that y'all probably already knew and I never figured out, but seems obvious now.

Sally

o

I like almost all vegetables.
My favorites roasted are any of the 'hard' veggies.
Butternut squash, Acorn squash, Sweet potatoes,
Carrots, Turnips, beets, and on & on & on.

Since I cook much smaller amounts now,
I've found that I can do most of the above almost as well
on the stove top (in a ceramic lined pan).
I also use my toaster oven,
to cut down the heat in the kitchen.

Main seasoning is just a bit of oil or butter.
Maybe a touch of salt, usually not, though.

My very favorite though is a recipe I only discovered last fall.
I admit, this is a direct copy from the Pioneer Woman's site.
My whole family loves these,
Even those that formerly wouldn't eat Brussels Sprouts.
I even make this just for myself occasionally.
It's easy to cut down.
But be sure to NOT add the sauce to the sprouts
until ready to serve!
While it 'holds' well on its own,
When combined with the sprouts,
It becomes 'watery' for some reason or another.

Rusty

Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic and Cranberries

Ingredients

3 pounds Brussels Sprouts
1/2 cup Olive Oil
Salt And Pepper
1 cup Balsamic Vinegar
1/2 cup Sugar
1 cup Dried Cranberries

Preparation Instructions

Trim/clean Brussels sprouts, then cut them in half if desired (or you can leave them whole). Arrange on two baking sheets and toss with olive oil. Sprinkle with plenty of salt and pepper and roast at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes, or until brown.

Combine balsamic vinegar and sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and reduce until very thick, about 15 to 20 minutes.

Drizzle the balsamic reduction over the roasted sprouts, then sprinkle on dried cranberries. Toss and serve immediately.

o

I usually make a mix whateveris in fridge,aparagus mmm good carrots,tomatoes,green beans,onions,spring onions,sugar peas,squash,Ill buy baby squash,peppers,what ever Ihave is game.always good

o

If it is a tougher veggie - one that you don't eat raw - I'll usually either boil it, or cut it into small pieces/slices, or both, before roasting. That allows the piece to be cooked through, without having to roast it so long that the outside is burned.

I use pretty high heat, 425 F or so. Set an empty sheet pan on the pizza stone in the oven, pre-heat it, then drizzle oil on the hot pan, layer on vegetables, drizzle with more oil, sprinkle with salt or sugar, sometimes both. The hot pan and the hot pizza stone help cook the underside of the pieces. I also have a perforated pan that I'll sometimes use for the same reason. Or, do the boiling in a large ovenproof pan, then drain the water and slide the pan w/ veggies into the oven.

For delicate veggies - asparagus, thin carrots - I tent the tips with foil for the first part of roasting, then remove the foil halfway through. Otherwise the tips get burned by the time the stalks or fat ends are cooked through.

Brocolli is a pain to roast, the florets get burned before the thick stalk ends are done, and they are impractical to "foil tent". I will grill broccoli but won't usually roast it.

SWMBO has been doing nice things with roasting swiss chard and goat cheese. I hadn't thought of roasting leafy vegetables, but it works.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here