SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loves2cook4six

hot hot weather - need cool cookin' foods

loves2cook4six
14 years ago

Well summer is finally here with all its hot hot weather and humidity so high you feel like you're swimming.

I can't bear to turn on the stove or the ovens and it's way to hot to stand over a hot grill.

Bring on your recipes for cool foods to eat on hot summer days keeping in mind I'm allergic to shellfish.

Comments (7)

• doucanoe
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It is finally hot here, too. I made this last night for dinner and decided it's a keeper! It literally took just minutes to prepare! I didn't use rotisserie chicken, tho. I just poached a couple of chicken breasts and shredded those.

Cashew Chicken Salad With Mandarin Oranges
    Source: Cooking Light 2004

SERVES 4

3 tablespoons rice vinegar
    1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
    1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
    1 teaspoon sugar
    2 teaspoons hoisin sauce
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    4 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
    3 cups shredded rotisserie cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1 1/2 cups fresh bean sprouts
    1/2 cup chopped green onion
    2 tablespoons chopped roasted cashews
    1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges in light syrup, drained

Combine first 6 ingredients, stirring well with a whisk.

Combine lettuce and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Drizzle dressing over salad; toss gently to coat.

Linda

• grainlady_ks
    14 years ago

I prepare for hot weather when the weather is cool. That's when I load the freezer with homemade multi-grain buns for sandwiches, burgers, sloppy joes, bbq beef sandwiches.... Pre-cooked chicken and beef that can be used in a quick stir-fry and as a topping for dinner salads.

Ground beef is made into taco meat, sloppy joes, spaghetti sauce, ground beef stroganoff (just the sauce, cook the noodles/rice separately) portioned into one and two serving portions.

Each time we have a roast (pork, beef, bison) I make sure I grind some for sandwich meat, slice some, and "pull" some, and freeze it in FoodSaver bags. I can quickly pull a "heat & eat" meal together. I often cook, bake, and reheat things in our solar ovens to keep the heat out of the kitchen.

I make up 5-10-pounds of freezer mashed potatoes and freeze them in dollops. Much better than "instant" potatoes, and almost as fast.

I also keep chili in single-servings in the freezer. Even though we think of it as a cold-weather food, I bake a potato and top it with chili for a fast meal. Use chili as the base for a taco salad....

I also "cook" beans, rice and pasta using a Thermos Bottle and boiling water.
    ---------------------------

This is a great simple hot weather meal. I normally make 1/2 a recipe, and once you've made it, you quickly figure ways to alter it with what's in the refrigerator, so it's also versitile.

BLACK BEAN TACO SALAD

2 cans (15-oz. each) black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained *
    2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped (1-1/2 c.)
    1/3 c. shredded Cheddar cheese
    1/4 c. chopped green onions (3-medium) - I also use fresh chives.
    1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro (or parsley)
    2 T. lime juice
    1 t. ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    4 c. chopped spinach (6 ounces) - I use any kinds of greens.

Mix beans, olives, tomatoes, cheese, onions and cilantro. Mix lime juice, cumin and pepper; toss with bean mixture Serve on spinach. - 4 VERY generous servings. Calories: 325

-Grainlady

• Related Discussions

how to grow veggies in the hot hot hot weather

Q

Comments (12)
    My "early" garden was a bust, even with shadecloth on parts of it, though I may have waited too long before shading. I grew 4 kinds of corn, all supposed to be heat & drought tolerant & got nary an ear, but it bloomed. On the other hand, my fall garden did well & I managed to get at least some tomatoes. My winter garden is peculiar--lettuce & some greens bolting, broccoli making loose heads, etc. In January. Just enough cold weather for my cabbage to start heading finally. I have planted a couple of cool weather tomatoes in hopes they will survive, but the others stay in for now. Most of the black tomatoes will continue to produce in heat & a few others. I find myself freezing more now so I know I will have it. Last year was a sure cure for complacency!
    ...See More

Cool Season or Hot Weather?

Q

Comments (1)
    All the information you need can be found via Google. Without doing a search for you, I can tell you that dill will flower and go to seed rapidly once hot weather sets in. Since it needs full sun to do its best, that is something you can expect and cannot prevent. Have fun and good luck with your search!
    ...See More

Woo Hoo--Sunday's Weather Will Be Hot!

Q

Comments (6)
    Dale, The lack of sunlight has been a real problem this month....that and a few too many cool nights. My plants enjoyed the sun yesterday and I see more open blossoms on the tomato plants and beans today too. I'm afraid the mid-90s with full sun will be almost more than they can handle today since they aren't used to it any more. Carol, I think we get two more hot days before a cold front cools us off, or maybe three.....one small advantage of being farther south. On Saturday, the NWS weather radio forecast made a brief mention of the possibility of severe thunderstorms on thi coming Thursday. That seems sort of odd. I don't think we usually get much 'severe' weather in October.....but then, Lone Grove had their terrible tornado on February 10th so severe weather can happen any time. You don't "have to" clean house more often in winter, but it is harder to come up with excuses to get out of housework, isn't it? My house gets more attention in winter than summer too. My gardening pal, Fred, stopped by the garden the other day and seemed surprised I was still gardening "this late" in the year. He told me his garden was tired and had stopped producing but said that was OK with him because he was tired of the garden. I had to laugh. I guarantee you that by December, if not sooner, he'll be counting the days until he can plant onions and potatoes. Glenda, Flannel! Oh, it is too soon for that. I am not a cold-weather woman. I kinda like it when the cold first arrives just because it is such a nice change from the endless summer heat. After about 2 weeks, though, I'm ready for warm weather. My two favorite months here in southern OK are April and October because the days are pretty warm and the nights are pleasantly cool, but neither is too extreme. You've had such an amazing pumpkin year! It's too bad that canning of pumpkin is not recommended. Dawn
    ...See More

Is an oil cooled compressor refrigerator better in hot temp?

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks Bob and Fairyprincess! I needed to get the refrigerator tonight so I came to the conclusion that the Whirlpool would work. I went on partselect.com and it looked like both the Whirlpool and my old Roper had the same parts and set-up based on the diagrams. I could be wrong but it was the only thing I really had to go on. And I know that Whirlpool also makes Roper. So I plunged and picked-up the refrigerator right before the store closed. It's set-up and plugged in so come tomorrown I'm hoping to see that it's well on it's way to being nice and cold! Thanks for your quick responses and I hope this solves my refrigerator problems!
    ...See More
  • rachelellen
    14 years ago

Here in the CA central valley, Summer heat can be relentless for long periods. Weeks upon weeks when one thinks days in the mid eighties are cool. Both I and my husband really dislike the air conditioner, preferring to run fans and dress scantily at home (woo-hoo!) rather than deal with the dried out air (I get bloody noses) and ridiculous energy bills.

So, I cook a great deal on the bbq grill during the hot weather, my wonderful husband having strung up misters around my cooking area for my comfort. I also set my crock pot going outside, so longer cooking foods don't heat up the house. Planning ahead helps as well, rising early when we have the occasional cooler night to cook a few things ahead of time, while doors and windows can remain open to let the heat from the stove out.

Throwing larger hunks of meat on the bbq than we can eat at one meal provides cold roast meats to serve on salads or with Asian style cold noodles for other meals, and as long as I'm going to toss veggies in oil and spices to grill alongside the meats, I'll do extra of those as well to chop, slice or mince for other meals.

Tri tip roast, potato wedges and various veggies for dinner becomes a beef salad for one meal, grilled potato salad to accompany some grilled sausage or other for another meal, and then the veggies might become a sandwich on a crusty roll with or without cheese or some more of the grilled meat.

We tend to eat seasonally in certain ways. My heavy bean soups, stews and long simmered curries of the Winter give way to the lighter (and quicker to cook) stir fries, salads and lighter, Asian style soups during the Summer.

I like couscous during the heat, because it can be eaten hot or at room temp, and cooks quickly in any case. Ginger and a few veggies turn it into a really nice side dish for grilled meats. It also makes a great salad, served on a bed of mixed greens and topped with some grilled fish or chicken.

Gingered Cous Cous

1 C couscous (Moroccan style, not Israeli*)
    1 1/2 C water or chicken stock or boullion
    1"X 2" piece of ginger root, thinly sliced
    1/2 C yellow onion-half inch dice
    1/2 C celery-half inch dice
    1/4 C carrot-quarter inch dice
    1/2 C frozen peas
    2 T green onions-sliced
    2 cloves garlic-minced
    1" X 1" piece of ginger root, peeled and grated fine.
    3 T olive oil
    Salt & pepper

Bring water or chicken stock and thinly sliced ginger to a boil, add couscous and stir for one minute. Remove from heat, cover, and let sit 5 minutes. Then put the couscous in a bowl and separate the grains with a fork until the couscous is light, with no lumps, removing ginger slices.

Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over a med-high heat. Saute the yellow onions, celery and carrots for appx. 5 minutes, until onion is translucent and just beginning to turn golden on the edges. Add the frozen peas, garlic and grated ginger and saute briefly until ginger and garlic are fragrant, but not browned. Add fluffed couscous, stir to mix ingredients and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. (If you used boullion to make the couscous, you probably won't need salt.)

*Moroccan couscous is what is typically found in grocery stores. It is a fine, granulated semolina pasta. Israeli couscous is a larger variety, the individual pieces being round, about 1/4 the size of a pea.

Another favorite Summer dish:

Asian Noodle Salad
    Dressing:

1/2 c soy sauce
    1/2 c sesame oil (Asian brand, not Indian...it should be dark in color and smell strongly of sesame)
    1/4 c balsamic vinegar
    1/4 c sugar
    salt to taste
    1 T Asian chili sauce or red pepper oil
    One bunch green onions-finely sliced...should be 6-8 onions)
    4 T cilantro, chopped.
    One pkg fresh Chinese egg noodles (about 14 oz)

You can use a variety of vegetables, meats, or seafood in this salad. I adore it with grilled vegetables like eggplant, asparagus, peppers & yellow squash, but blanched vegetables work very well too, like julienne carrots, bean sprouts, snow peas (slivered), cabbage and broccoli. I like to toss in some raw slices of mushroom, radish & cherry tomatoes. It's a great salad for using up leftover meats, or I like to quickly poach a couple handfuls of shrimp. Really, you can just have fun.

Anyway, in the morning, you cook the noodles, toss them in half the dressing and put them in the fridge.

Then, just before dinner, you toss in all your vegetables & meats, and then add the rest of the dressing to taste. Generally, I've put so much stuff in the salad that I just use it all. Serve it cold or room temp, and it should serve 4 as a main dish or 6 as a side.

• caliloo
    14 years ago

This is realy good and very easy to make without heating up the kitchen!

Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup

Place in crockpot 2 or 3 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves.

Without draining anything, combine in bowl:

2 (15oz) cans black beans
    1 (14.5 oz) can tomato sauce
    2 (15 oz) cans Mexican stewed tomatoes (or Rotel)
    1 (4 oz) can chopped green chilies
    1 cup salsa, your preference as to strength

Pour over chicken and cook on low 8 hours.

Just before serving, remove chicken, shred it, and stir it back into the soup.

Stir in:
    1 can Niblets corn

Heat just long enough to get corn and chicken hot.

Serve topped with cheese, sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips. Or put the chips in the bowl first and ladle soup on top.

And a whole thread I saved................

Favorite Dinner Salads from the Cooking Forum
    see most clipped and recent clippings
    Posted by sands99 (My Page) on Tue, Jan 23, 07 at 22:27

Husband and I are trying to incorporate more salads as meals [over just precursors or sides] in our repertoire and I was wondering if anyone had any salad favorites they would like to share.
    Thanks in advance!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow-Up Postings:
    RE: Favorite Dinner Salads clip this post email this post what is this?

Posted by shaun (My Page) on Tue, Jan 23, 07 at 22:38

Oh I sure do. Just made this for my guests Friday night.
    Ingredients:
    Hearts of Romaine
    Rice Noodles (those tiny chow mein noodles)
    Slivered almonds
    Mandarin Oranges

Dressing:
    1 cup oil
    1/2 cup red wine vinegar
    1/3 cup sugar
    1/4 tsp white pepper
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp paprika
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    Mix all dressing ingredients and chill.

Just before serving, pour dressing over romaine or mixed greens, rice noodles, mandarin oranges & slivered almonds. Toss well.

This would be good with grilled chicken I bet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by ruthanna (My Page) on Tue, Jan 23, 07 at 22:43

Here are a couple that I make:
    MARGARITA SCALLOP SALAD

3 Tbs. fresh lime juice, divided
    2 Tbs. minced fresh parsley
    1 Tbs. minced fresh basil (or 1 tsp. dried basil)
    1 pound scallops
    1/ 4 cup chicken broth
    2 Tbs. olive oil
    1/ 4 cup fresh orange juice
    1 Tbs. tequila
    1/ 4 tsp. salt
    1/ 4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
    1 1/ 2 cups cherry or pear tomatoes, halved
    1/ 2 sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
    1 cup thinly sliced cucumber
    1 1/ 2 cups fresh corn kernels (or frozen corn kernels, thawed)
    2 cups mixed salad greens

In a bowl, combine 2 Tbs. of the lime juice, the parsley and basil. Add the scallops, tossing to coat. Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine remaining 1 Tbs. lime juice, broth, oil, orange juice, tequila, salt and pepper. Add the tomatoes, onion, cucumber and corn, tossing to coat.

Preheat the grill. Thread the scallops on 8 skewers. Spray the rack off the grill- with nonstick cooking spray. Place the skewers on the rack, cover and grill at medium, or 6 inches from the heat, turning once, for 4 to 6 minutes, or until the scallops are just opaque throughout. Place tomato mixture on top of greens and then top with scallops. Serves 4.

Note: If using fresh corn, I usually blanch it first.

CURRIED CABBAGE, LEMON, AND RICE SALAD Â 4 to 6 servings

Salad:
    3 cups finely shredded cabbage
    1 ½ cups cooked, cooled brown rice
    2 scallions, thinly sliced
    1/3 cup minced sweet red peppers
    ¼ cup cooked fresh or thawed frozen peas
    2 Tbs. minced fresh parsley

Dressing:
    2 Tbs. lemon juice
    ½ tsp. curry powder
    1/8 tsp. ground ginger
    1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
    pinch of cayenne pepper
    ¼ cup corn oil

Mix all salad ingredients in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients except oil until thoroughly combined. Slowly whisk in the oil. Pour dressing over cabbage mixture and toss well. Chill thoroughly.

Posted by sands99 (My Page) on Tue, Jan 23, 07 at 22:52

Sounds terrific! And I have everything in your recipe in house. And I agree that grilled chix would be a great addition. Thank you shaun!
    I have faux Lobster and Crab, feta with tomato and basil, gorgonzola, various nuts too so feel free to run with those ingredients too. You guys are such a great resource. Thank you.

scallops clip this post email this post what is this?

Posted by sands99 (My Page) on Tue, Jan 23, 07 at 22:58

Ruthanna, DH *Loves* scallops thank you!

Posted by annie1992 (My Page) on Tue, Jan 23, 07 at 23:10

I love Woodie's layered salad, I need to make that again soon.
    One of my favorites is this one from Cooking Light, it makes a great main dish for vegetarians, an equally great dip for tortilla chips and a nice cold salad besides:

All-Purpose Southwestern Corn and Black Bean Salad
    Source: Cooking Light magazine

This recipe makes 12 servings and keeps in the refrigerator up to 5 days. It's quite versatile--add shredded chicken and serve tortillas on the side to make it a main-dish salad. Or serve it as a dip with baked tortilla chips, a side for burgers or grilled chicken, or a salad on a bed of lettuce.

1 pound dried black beans
    11 1/2 cups water, divided
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    2 teaspoons cumin seeds
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 cups fresh corn kernels
    2 cups chopped seeded tomato
    1 cup Vidalia or other sweet onion, finely chopped
    1 cup chopped red bell pepper
    1 cup chopped green bell pepper

For the Dressing:
    1/2 cup fresh lime juice (about 3 limes)
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    2 teaspoons honey
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
    1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro

RECIPE METHOD
    To prepare salad, sort and wash the beans. Combine beans and 5 1/2 cups water in a 6-quart pressure cooker. Close lid securely; bring to high pressure over high heat. Adjust heat to medium or level needed to maintain high pressure; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; place cooker under cold running water. Remove lid. Drain beans; rinse with cold water. Drain and cool.
    Heat 1 teaspoon oil in cooker over medium heat. Add cumin seeds and 2 garlic cloves; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add beans and 6 cups water. Close lid securely; bring to high pressure over high heat. Adjust heat to medium or level needed to maintain high pressure, and cook 12 minutes. Remove from heat; place cooker under cold running water. Remove lid. Drain bean mixture; rinse with cold water. Drain and cool. Combine bean mixture, corn, tomato, onion, and bell peppers in a large bowl.
    To prepare dressing, combine juice and next 7 ingredients (juice through jalapeños), stirring with a whisk. Stir in cilantro. Pour dressing over bean mixture; stir gently to combine. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.

Nutrition Facts
    12 Servings (serving size: 1 cup)
    Facts per Serving

Calories: 216
    Fat: 5g
    Carbohydrates: 36g
    Cholesterol: 0mg
    Sodium: 408mg
    Protein: 10g
    Fiber: 8g

This one is just different, but yummy if you like cucumbers:

Sweet Orient Express Cucumber Salad
    Ingredients:
    2 Cucumbers Thinly sliced
    1/8 cup Rice Wine Vinegar
    1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    1 Tbs Sugar
    1 Tbs Soy Sauce
    Fresh Ground Pepper (to taste)
    Fresh Chopped Dill (as garnish)
    Instructions:
    Begin by thinly slicing cucumbers
    Place sliced cucumbers in a bowl
    Add in:
    Rice Wine Vinegar
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    Sugar
    Soy Sauce
    Fresh Ground Pepper (to taste)
    Stir thoroughly to coat cucumbers.
    Garnish with fresh chopped dill.
    Allow the salad to marinate an hour or more before serving.

This is an old favorite, not a green salad but a good cold side dish nonetheless:

Silver PalateÂs Wild Rice Salad
    1 cup raw wild rice
    5 1/2 cups chicken broth
    1 cup pecan halves (or chopped pecans)
    1 cup golden raisins
    Grated rind of one large orange
    1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
    4 scallions thinly sliced
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
    1 1/2 tsp. salt
    Fresh ground pepper, to taste

Rinse the wild rice thoroughly in cold water. Place in a medium saucepan and add the stock; bring to a rapid boil and then simmer for about 45 minutes. Check the rice after 30 minutes to make sure it isn't getting too soft. When done drain into a colander lined with a thin towel. Let cool slightly. Turn the wild rice into a large bowl
    and add the other ingredients. Toss gently and let stand for two hours so flavors can develop. Serve at room temperature.

6-8 servings

This one I haven't tried yet, but it sounds yummy. Of course, I've never seen watercress here, but I figure I could put it on a bed of romaine. I'm also leaning toward adding a pear and maybe some orange sections...

Winter Fruit Salad

YIELD 12 servings (about 1 cup dressing).

INGREDIENTS
    Â 6 large red apples, sliced
    Â 2 tablespoons lemon juice
    Â 4 bunches watercress, stems removed
    Â 2 pounds seedless red grapes, separated into small bunches
    Â 2 small red onions, halved and thinly sliced

HONEY LEMON DRESSING:
    Â 1/2 cup lemon juice
    Â 1/4 cup vegetable oil
    Â 2 to 3 tablespoons honey
    Â 1/2 teaspoon salt
    Â 1/8 teaspoon pepper
    Â Lemon slices and fresh mint, optional

DIRECTIONS
    In a bowl, toss apples and lemon juice. Arrange watercress on a large serving platter. Top with the grapes, onions and apples.
    In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine lemon juice, oil, honey, salt and pepper; shake well. Drizzle 1/2 cup over salad. Cover and refrigerate salad and remaining salad dressing until serving. Serve remaining dressing on the side. Garnish with lemon and mint if desired.

Annie

Posted by ann_t (My Page) on Tue, Jan 23, 07 at 23:33

Salad Nicoise makes a nice main course salad. So do different types of Spinach Salads.
    My husband is happy with a Greek Salad "stacked" with good some good bread on the side. Easy to make, especially in late summer when the local tomatoes are so good.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Salad Nicoise
    =============
    Romaine Hearts
    4 Hard boiled eggs
    1 can artichokes
    Steamed Green Beans
    Asparagus
    3 Roma Tomatoes cut into wedges
    Nicoise Olives
    Potatoes steam and cut into quarters
    1 sweet red onion, sliced into thin rings
    2 Cans of White Solid Tuna
    Anchovys
    Dressing

1 garlic clove minced
    Lemon Juice
    olive Oil
    Dijon Mustard
    Salt and pepper

Optional - Fresh chopped basil
    . Separate romaine heart leaves and arrange on platter.

Arrange hard boiled eggs cut into quarters, green beans, tomatoes,
    potatoes and olives decoratively over lettuce leaves. Add the anchovys
    and onion rings.

Break up tuna in arrange over vegetables.

Drizzle with dressing.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Vittorio's Spinach Salad
    ========================
    Washed and dried spinach (Baby)

4 hard boiled eggs, peeled

4 or 5 cleaned mushrooms, sliced

1 can of artichoke hearts halved or quartered

3 Roma tomatoes, quartered

2 chopped green onions

Kalamata olives
    Dressing

1/4 teaspoon tarragon
    1/2 clove of garlic
    2 or 3 tablespoons wine vinegar
    1/2 cup homemade mayo or Hellmans
    salt and pepper

Place spinach in a large salad bowl. Decorate with eggs, mushrooms,
    artichoke hearts, tomatoes and green onions and olives.

Drizzle with dressing and toss.

Can be made on individual plates as well.

Dressing

Soak tarragon and garlic in vinegar. Add salt to dissolve.

Mix vinegar mixture into mayonnaise and adjust seasoning to taste.

Posted by carrie2 (My Page) on Tue, Jan 23, 07 at 23:52

I have two favorites that I make often because we like them and I usually have all the ingredients.
    Avocado and Feta Salad

One head Boston lettuce
    Shredded radicchio
    Shaved red onion
    Feta cheese
    One avocado

Dress with olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper.

Sort-of Greek Salad

Romaine
    Feta Cheese
    Red onion
    Black olives
    Red bell pepper
    Cucumber
    Tomato

Dress with olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper.

Posted by terri_pacnw (My Page) on Wed, Jan 24, 07 at 0:18

I like to take a bed of chopped romaine, sprinkle it liberally with Mixed baby greens, slice half an avocado, shaved Parm or a handful of feta, a sliced Roma, or handful of grape tomatoes, any other bits of chopped veggies in the fridge, and then lay a few ounces of leftover steak or chicken. Top with my favorite dressing.
    (I've had this for lunch the last few days, and will tomorrow too.)

Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on Wed, Jan 24, 07 at 0:26

Here's Woodies Layered Salad, we love it. It's in my favorites file.
    DEEP DISH LAYERED SALAD

2 hard cooked eggs, chopped
    1 1/2 heads iceburg lettuce - rinsed, dried and shredded
    1 cup chopped celery
    1 cup chopped red bell pepper
    1 cup chopped green onions
    2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
    2 cups frozen green peas, thawed
    2 cups mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon curry powder ( I omit)
    2 tablespoons crumbled bacon
    2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Layer 1/2 of the lettuce in the bottom of a large bowl. Follow with a
    layer of celery, bell pepper, green onion, mushrooms, peas and egg. Top
    with remaining lettuce.
    Whisk together the mayonnaise, brown sugar,
    garlic powder and curry powder. Spread evenly over top of salad. Sprinkle
    with crumbled bacon and Parmesan cheese. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
    Makes 10 servings

CRAB LOUIE SALAD IN A STEMMED GLASS Layer each stemmed glass with: Lettuce, Iceberg or Leaf Lettuce Chiffonade (roll the lettuce leaves and slice across thinly) Fresh Dungeness crab meat Cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced Tomatoes, seeded and diced Green onions, sliced Thousand Island Dressing (recipe follows) Dust with paprika Fresh chives for garnish These can be made ahead of time, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve, then spoon on the dressing and serve. Thousand Island Dressing 1 cup Best Foods Mayonnaise 1/4 cup Chili Sauce 1/4 cup green pepper, chopped 2 Tablespoons green onions, sliced, including the tops 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice 1/4 cup whipping cream, whipped Kosher Salt Freshly cracked black pepper Season to taste; chill thoroughly for the flavors to develop. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "55" SALAD AND DRESSING My favorite dressing on a salad of baby greens, red onion, toasted walnuts, sliced pears (fresh when available), dried cherries and crumbled blue cheese. Also good as a main dish salad dressing with chicken strips and mandarin oranges, sliced celery and rice noodles on a bed of lettuce. 1½ tsp minced garlic 1 tsp dry mustard ¼ C vinegar ¼ C water 2 tsp salt ½ C sugar ¼ tsp crushed red pepper ¼ tsp cracked black pepper ½ tsp celery seed (optional) 1 C veg. oil Combine garlic, dry mustard, vinegar and water in a food processor or blender. Pulse to combine. Add salt, sugar, peppers, and celery seed (if using) With processor or blender running, SLOWLY add vegetable oil in a thin stream. After oil is added, continue to process another 3 minutes. Nancy \-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\- RE: Favorite Dinner Salads clip this post email this post what is this? see most clipped and recent clippings Posted by canarybird (My Page) on Wed, Jan 24, 07 at 5:36 We have salads nearly every day. Here are some of our favourites: I haven't made this for a long time and although there are many different versions, some of which include diced carrots I think this recipe is pretty well exemplary of a typical ensaladilla, the famous dish found in every Spanish tapas bar as well as many restaurants. It just goes so well with little snacks or even as a side dish with meat, chicken or fish. Although I've posted the recipe before, this time I'm showing it in the half quantities which I used today and I can say this is certainly enough for 4 servings as a side dish, or 6 servings for a good sized tapa. Russian Salad \- Ensaladilla Rusa Four or more servings: 1 1/2 lbs (640 grams) potatoes 3/4 cup (100 grams) cooked peas \- (I used frozen steamed) 1 tin tuna steak drained \- 1/2 lb tin (225 grams) 1 small jar green pitted olives \- I bought them stuffed with pimento 1 small roasted red pepper, cored, peeled and cut into strips (I used them from a jar) 2 boiled eggs 2 TBS mayonnaise (I used 3 heaping) 1 TBS mayonnaise thinned with a little milk Salt My option: a dusting of paprika over all 1\) Boil the potatoes in their skins until tender. Drain and cool. When cool peel and dice into a large bowl. 2\) Add the cooked peas, the olives cut in halves (save a few whole ones for the garnish), the tuna flaked and one of the chopped eggs. Add salt to taste and then combine with the 2 (or 3) TBS mayonnaise 3\) Spread the mixture on a platter forming a mound. Cover it completely with the thinned mayonnaise. A large serving spoon helps to coax it into shape. 4\) Decorate with the strips of pepper, olives and the rest of the eggs. 5\) It will keep in the fridge for a few days, improving with taste. 6\) Serve with crusty bread. Again \- Ensaladilla Rusa \- Seen from above. My notes: You may want to add some more tang to the mayonnaise. If you're a Miracle Whip fan, you may want to use that, or otherwise add a few drops of lemon. Taste first. I steamed the potatoes with salt, but you still need to add some with the mayonnaise. I found the best way to add a slight dusting of paprika is to shake it into your hand and then blow it gently over the salad. \*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\* Here's a variation of a chickpea salad I learned to make in Mallorca. CHICKPEA SALAD (Ensalada de Garbanzos) Serves 2 \- 3 as a main dish or 4 as a side salad. 1 \- 15oz jar of chickpeas (garbanzos) and their liquid 3 medium potatoes, cooked and cut into 8ths handful of chopped raw baby spinach (optional) 1 small purple onion \- sliced into half rings 2 hard boiled eggs chopped finely 8 slices English cucumber \- cut into quarters 1 large ripe tomato, sliced into thin wedges 1 tin white tuna (water\-packed for dieters, drained several sprigs flatleaf parsley, chopped finely (about 3 TBS) olive oil 1 \- 2 cloves garlic 1 teasp Dijon or other piquant mustard balsamic vinegar fresh lemon juice salt and freshly ground black pepper 1\. Cook potatoes and eggs and let cool a little. Peel eggs and chop finely. 2\. Drain chickpeas, saving the liquid and put them into a large salad bowl along with the cut potatoes, finely chopped egg, drained and flaked tuna, spinach, onion, cucumber. 3\. Put minced garlic into a mortar along with about 1/4 teasp salt, ground pepper and half of the parsley. Grind to a paste then add about 1/2 cup oil, juice of 1/2 lemon, mustard and a teasp of balsamic vinegar. Mix well to an emulsion, adjusting seasoning and quantities to your taste. 4\. Pour over salad and mix well, adding in some or all of the liquid from the jar of chickpeas, enough to moisten well. Add the rest of the chopped parsley and the slices of tomato and mix gently. Served on a plate. \*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\* Rainbow Tomato Salad with Balsamic Shaved Parmesan \- as served at a friend's dinner party in Canada. Preparation time: 15 minutes No Cooking Serves: 8 3 medium ripe red tomatoes, sliced 3 medium ripe yellow tomatoes, sliced 3 medium ripe orange tomatoes, sliced 16 to 20 small basil leaves coarse sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper 100 grams piece parmesan, thinly shaved (you can use a vegetable peeler for this) extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar Preparation: 1\. Arrange the tomato slices, slightly overlapping them, on a large platter interspersing the basil leaves among the tomatoes. 2\. Cover and store at a cool room temperature until ready to serve. At serving time, sprinkle with salt, pepper and parmesan. Drizzle lightly with oil and balsamic vinegar. 3\. Let stand 10 minutes to allow flavours to mingle before serving. Source: Eric Akis Victoria Times Colonist \*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\* SALMON, ASPARAGUS AND FETA SALAD Serves 4 \- 6 9 ounces (250 grams) salmon fillet, skinned 5 TBS extra virgin olive oil 1/2 tsp sea salt 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper 9 ounces (250 grams) asparagus (about 16 medium spears), ends trimmed 9 ounces (250 grams) new potatoes, if possible red skinned, cooked and quartered (approx 14 small potatoes \- see photo) 1 lb (450 grams) cherry tomatoes, cut in half 3/4 cup (4 oz or 125 grams) crumbled reduced\-fat feta cheese 6 spring onions, chopped 4 TBS fresh mint, chopped 3 TBS fresh basil, chopped 3 TBS fresh dill, chopped 10 ounces (300 grams) mixed salad leaves or baby spinach (about 2 small bags) 3 TBS lemon juice 1 tsp lemon zest 1/2 tsp sea salt 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper 1\. Brush the salmon with 1 TBS olive oil and sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Place salmon on an oiled grill over medium\-high heat and cook, turning once, about 4 minutes per side, or until the fish is opaque and flakes easily. Remove and set aside on a plate to cool. If preferred, bake salmon in oven at 425F (218C) for about 10 to 12 minutes until it is opaque. 2\. Slice asparagus spears diagonally into 1\-inch (2.5 cm pieces) and cook in a steam basket placed over a frying pan or pot of boiling water until spears are tender, about 5 minutes. Then rinse them under cool water and set aside. 3\. Prepare the vinaigrette by whisking together the remaining 4 TBS of olive oil, lemon juice, zest, salt and pepper. Toss the salad leaves with half the dressing and arrange on a large platter. 4\. Once salmon has cooled, break it up into bite\-sized pieces and place it in a large bowl, adding the potatoes, tomatoes, asparagus, feta, spring onions and fresh herbs. Add the remaining dressing and toss gently. Spoon this mixture over the salad greens and serve. Source: Adapted from Rick Gallop's Glycemic Index Diet Green\-Light Cookbook My Comments: This was another light and easy main course salad, perfect in hot weather also as a starter or side dish. I didn't find any fresh dill or spring onions, so I substituted with dried dill tips and a young leek, finely sliced and sautéd. I added 1/2 tsp prepared mustard to the vinaigrette as I found it a bit too bland. \*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\* Orange\-Balsamic Dressing & Spinach Salad If you like raw spinach salad and saw the photos of the one that my friend Anne and I have now had twice at the stable restaurant lately you may be interested in the wonderful orange & balsamic dressing that made it so delicious. We were trying to figure out what was in it and so I searched on the web for something similar. I found several and since I wanted to show my DH how good it was I tried out one variation of the dressing for yesterday's lunch, adding the extra ingredients which were in the restaurant version. SPINACH SALAD WITH ORANGE\-BALSAMIC DRESSING baby spinach & ruby\-edged lettuce for 4 servings\* For 1 1/2 cups dressing, enough for 4 salad servings: 3/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice 2 TBS balsamic vinegar 1 TBS red wine vinegar 3 TBS grated orange peel 2 teasp brown sugar 1 teasp ground cumin 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil salt & pepper to taste garnish: 2 TBS sultana raisins 2 TBS pinenuts 3 strips of bacon, diced 1\. Fry bacon bits until crisp. Drain on paper and put aside. 2\. Put into a blender the orange juice and zest, the two vinegars, brown sugar and cumin and blend for a few moments. 3\. Slowly add the olive oil while blending, then salt & pepper to taste 4\. Put half the dressing into your salad bowl and add all the greens, mixing and turning with two large spoons until greens are well coated 5\. Mix in the pine nuts, raisins and bacon bits 6\. Pile onto serving plates and drizzle a little more dressing on top. \* Also good is spinach with red onion rings and mandarin orange slices. \*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\* Here's a lovely little recipe which I made for our last virtual dinner which was around Valentine's Day: SHRIMP SALAD WITH GRAPEFRUIT Serving Size: 4 Ingredient \-\- Preparation Method \-\-\-\-\-\-\-\- \-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\- \-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\- 1 lg French lettuce 16 lg Jumbo Shrimp 2 lg Grapefruit For dressing: 1/4 c Orange juice 1/8 c Vinegar 1/4 c Olive oil 1/8 c Corn oil 1/4 c Green olives chopped 1/4 c Onion chopped 1/4 c Parsley chopped 1 t Cayenne pepper 1 t Paprika (Spanish pimenton) Salt and pepper Cook the shrimps as usual, peel them. Peel the grapefruit and separate each piece, also peel the white skin, being careful to get the complete pieces. Prepare the dressing by mixing all the ingredients. To serve: put the lettuce leaves on the dish, adorn with the grapefruit and shrimp. Put the dressing on top and serve. This salad will be better if the dressing can be prepared two hours before. Exported from MasterCook Patricia Wriedt. \*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\* My Salade Niçoise is similar to Delia's recipe. Here's one of mine. \*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\* Another easy one and quick salad is... Salmon & Lettuce Salad Chop a small head of Romaine lettuce, add a tin of pink or red salmon, flaked and including liquid from tin, mix in some low fat mayonnaise and plenty of fresh ground black pepper. This is very satisfying, especially in hot weather. I could have a whole plateful of this and call it dinner. \*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\* KIDNEY BEAN TABBOULEH \- serves 6 3/4 cup (150 grams) bulgur wheat 1 teasp sea salt 1 x 14oz (400 grams) tin of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed 4 plum tomatoes, chopped 3 spring onions, chopped small handful of chopped parsley, (leaves only) small handful fresh basil leaves, chopped 4 TBSP extra virgin olive oil 2 TBSP lemon juice 1/4 teasp freshly ground black pepper lettuce leaves and lemon wedges for garnish 1\. Combine bulgar and salt in a large metal pot. Stir in 2 1/4 cups (500 ml) of boiling water and let sit for 15 \- 20 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and bulgar is tender. Fluff with fork. 2\. Mix the chopped tomatoes, beans, onion and greens into the bulgar, drizzle over the lemon juice and olive oil, add the pepper and mix well. Adjust seasoning if needed. 3\. Place lettuce leaves on a platter, pile the mixture onto the lettuce and use lemon wedges for garnish. Mint, coriander, or chopped cucumber could also be added in place of parsley. Source: Adapted from Rick Gallop's GI Diet Green\-Light Cookbook \*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\* Platter salads are often filling enough to be served as a dinner, especially if you include some rolled slices of ham or cold roasted beef or pork, hard cooked eggs, slices of cheese and pickles. SharonCb \-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\- RE: Favorite Dinner Salads clip this post email this post what is this? see most clipped and recent clippings Posted by stacy3 (My Page) on Wed, Jan 24, 07 at 8:20 sands \- great thread \- I will be saving this one! This one is very good with lots of "good for you" stuff in it. :\-) Toasted Pecan Salad 1 large head of romaine or assorted greens ½ cup seedless red grapes 1 apple  cubed ½ cup sharp cheddar  cubed ½ cup pecans  toasted Dressing 1 tablespoon Dijon or wholegrain mustard 1 tablespoon lemon juice 1 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar 1 tablespoon honey 5 tablespoons olive oil 1 garlic clove \- chopped Salt and pepper to taste Directions Mix all dressing ingredients together. Wash and dry greens. In a large bowl combine greens, grapes, apple, cheese, pecans. To toast pecans  in a dry fry pan add pecans  shake the pecans in the pan often because to will burn very quickly. Toss with dressing  serves 6 \_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_ Another one: BLACK BEAN MEXICAN SALAD Dressing Ingredients: 1 tablespoon honey 1 tablespoon lime juice 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin Salad Ingredients: 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed, drained 1 (15\-ounce) can black beans, rinsed, drained 1 (4\-ounce) can chopped mild green chilies, drained 2 tomatoes, cubed 1/2\-inch 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro 4 cups torn iceberg lettuce 1/2 pound monterey jack cheese cut into 1/2 inch cubes Instructions: Stir together all dressing ingredients in large bowl. Add all salad ingredients except lettuce and cheese; stir until well coated. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour to blend flavors. Just before serving, add lettuce and cheese to bean mixtureand toss lightly. \_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_ Bok Choy has loads of calcium \- this is great \- in fact DH just asked me to make it SOON. Bok Choy Salad 1 large bunch bok choy  chopped 4\-6 green onions  thinly sliced Crunchies 1pkg ramen noodles\-throw away flavor pkg. ½ cup sliced almonds  toasted 2 Tablespoons sesame seeds 2 Tablespoons butter (I double crunchies but not butter) Dressing ¼ cup oil ¼ cup rice vinegar 1 Tablespoon sesame seed oil 1 ½ \- 2 Tablespoons sugar 1 teaspoon salt Directions: Chop up bok choy and onions mix together in large bowl. Melt butter in sauté pan and add crushed noodles, almonds, sesame seeds. Toast in pan until golden shaking often. Add to salad. Mix dressing together and pour over salad. Toss to coat. Stacy \-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\- RE: Favorite Dinner Salads clip this post email this post what is this? see most clipped and recent clippings Posted by teresa\_nc7 (My Page) on Wed, Jan 24, 07 at 8:25 A favorite is this salmon salad plate: chunks of cold poached salmon, hardboiled egg, sliced tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, and some cucumber dill sauce on a bed of lettuce leaves. Potato salad would also be good with this. \-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\- RE: Favorite Dinner Salads clip this post email this post what is this? see most clipped and recent clippings Posted by riverrat1 (My Page) on Wed, Jan 24, 07 at 8:28 AHHHH, I think salads have to be the choice food of the Gods! LOL! One of my favorite foods. This is one that I really like. My family not so much...they don't like sun\-dried tomatoes. I use 1/2 anchovy paste (tube) and 1/2 tomato paste (tube) instead of straight tomato paste to make up the 1 1/2 teaspoons of tomato paste called for in the recipe. CRAB SALAD WITH SUN\-DRIED TOMATO LOUIS DRESSING 1 1/4 cups mayonnaise 1/3 cup finely chopped drained oil\-packed sun\-dried tomatoes 1/4 cup milk 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice 1 1/2 teaspoons tomato paste 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce 1 pound asparagus, trimmed to 5\-inch lengths 12 cups lightly packed bite\-size pieces romaine lettuce (from 2 heads) 1 pound lump crabmeat 1 cup cherry tomatoes 2 large hard\-boiled eggs, cut into wedges Lemon wedges Whisk first 9 ingredients in medium bowl to blend. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper. Cook asparagus in saucepan of boiling salted water until crisp\-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain. Transfer to bowl of ice water; cool. Drain. (Dressing and asparagus can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill.) Place lettuce in large bowl. Toss with enough dressing to coat. Mound lettuce on plates. Top with crab. Garnish with asparagus, tomatoes, eggs and lemon. Pass remaining dressing separately. Serves 4 to 6. Bon Appétit September 1999 Thanks for all the recipes! I'm cutting and pasting as fast as I can. \-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\- RE: Favorite Dinner Salads clip this post email this post what is this? see most clipped and recent clippings Posted by rosecmd (My Page) on Wed, Jan 24, 07 at 8:46 I love Canarybird's Salmon, asparagus & feta salad! I have made it several times. Sometimes I poach the salmon. \-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\- RE: Favorite Dinner Salads clip this post email this post what is this? see most clipped and recent clippings Posted by cindy\_5ny (My Page) on Wed, Jan 24, 07 at 9:14 Wow, saving lots of recipes here! Here are some that we like: \-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\- Grilled Asparagus & Portabella Mushroom Salad Source: adapted from Fine Cooking Dressing: 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice 1 tsp dried thyme (1 T fresh, chopped) 1 clove garlic, minced 1 tsp sugar 1/2 cup light olive oil salt and pepper to taste Salad: 2 lbs asparagus, woody ends trimmed 1 1/2 lb (about 5 giant caps) portabella mushrooms. stems removed and discarded Extra virgin olive oil Kosher salt 4 oz (about 6 cups loosely packed) mixed greens, washed and dried Combine dressing ingredients, whisk until well blended Toss asparagus and mushrooms with olive oil and salt. Grill mushrooms over med\-high heat for 10 minutes, add asparagus, rolling frequently to prevent burning. Once asparagus is added, cook mushrooms and asparagus about 5 minutes until done. Line 4 salad plates with greens. Slice mushrooms and arrange with asparagus over the greens. Drizzle with dressing and serve. 4 servings \-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\- Tuna and White Bean Salad 1 can white beans, rinsed and drained 2 cans tuna 1 T olive oil 2 T vinegar 2 T lemon juice 1 T dijon mustard 1/2 tsp salt 1/2 tsp pepper 1/2 small red onion, sliced 1 clove garlic, minced 1/2 tsp basil opt: broccoli, spinach, cucumber, roasted red pepper, tomato, olives Serve on platter with optional vegetables, or on pita bread or a wrap. \-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\- The EatingWell Cobb Salad Source: Eating Well Originally developed at a Hollywood restaurant, this classic salad has endured endless interpretation. Our version is fairly true to the original, although we've left the blue cheese optional. Make it a Meal: warm up a crusty baguette and pour a crisp, cold glass of sparkling wine to accompany this salad. 3 tablespoons white\-wine vinegar 2 tablespoons finely minced shallot 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard 1/4 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper 3 tablespoons extra\-virgin olive oil 10 cups mixed salad greens 1/2 pound shredded cooked chicken breast (1 large breast half) (see Tip) 2 eggs, hard\-boiled, peeled and chopped (see Tip) 2 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled 2 medium tomatoes, diced 1 large cucumber, seeded and sliced 1 avocado, diced 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese (optional) 1\. Whisk vinegar, shallot, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl to combine. Whisk in oil until combined. Place salad greens in a large bowl. Add half of the dressing and toss to coat. 2\. Divide salad greens among 4 plates. Arrange equal portions of chicken, egg, bacon, tomatoes, cucumber, avocado and blue cheese (if using) on top of the lettuce. Drizzle the salads with the remaining dressing. Yield: 4 servings Tips To poach chicken breast: Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a medium skillet or saucepan and add lightly salted water to cover; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes. To hard\-boil eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium\-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and run a constant stream of cold water over the eggs until completely cooled. \-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\- Garbanzo Salad Source: The Frugal Gourmet 1/2 pound garbanzos, soaked overnight, drained (I use 1 can, drained) 1 green pepper, sliced 4 green onions, chopped 1/2 yellow onion, peeled and sliced thin Chopped parsley Salt and pepper to taste 1/4 cup olive oil 1/8 cup white wine vinegar 2 tablespoons lemon juice 1/4 teaspoon basil 1/4 teaspoon oregano Sugar, to taste Cook the garbanzos in water to cover for 1 hour. Do not overcook: they need to be firm but tender for the salad. Drain and chill. Combine all ingredients and toss in steel bowl. Allow the salad to marinate in the refrigerator for several hours before serving it. Serves 4\-6 \-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\- HEARTY BEEF SALAD 2 cups leftover beef, sliced 1 cup red kidney beans, drained 3/4 cup celery, diced 1/4 cup red onion, minced 2 hard cooked eggs, chopped Dressing: 1/2 cup mayonnaise 1 T pickle relish 1 T ketchup 1/4 tsp salt dash pepper dash lemon juice shredded cheddar cheese salad greens Combine salad ingredients, toss with dressing. Serve over salad greens, sprinkle with shredded cheddar. 4 servings Cindy \-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\- RE: Favorite Dinner Salads clip this post email this post what is this? see most clipped and recent clippings Posted by bean\_counter\_z4 (My Page) on Wed, Jan 24, 07 at 9:18 I love fruit salads. California Walnut Pear Bistro Salad 8 cups assorted torn salad greens 2 fresh Bartlett pears, cored and sliced 1/2 cup California Walnut pieces 1/4 cup dried cranberries (optional) 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese 1/3 cup balsamic or raspberry vinaigrette Line large salad platter with greens; top with pear, walnuts and dried cranberries. Sprinkle with cheese. Drizzle dressing over salad. Four Fruit Salad 3/4 cup seedless grapes 3/4 cup orange segments 1 large apple, cut\-up 1 large pear, cut\-up Toss all ingredients together. Serves about 4. Serving suggestions: \* Serve on lettuce lined plate with scoop of low fat cottage cheese and lite dressing. \* Serve in glass dish with scoop of sherbet on top.\\ \* Serve in bowl topped with yogurt. Fresh Apple Salad Very pretty served on bright whole leaf salad greens. 1 cup raisins 11/2 cups orange juice 2 cups celery, diced 3 cups apples, diced 1/2 cup seedless grape halves 1 cup walnuts or pecans, coarsely chopped or halves 1 cup mayonnaise 1 cup sour cream 1\. Soak raisins in orange juice overnight. Drain, then combine with other ingredients until thoroughly mixed. 2\. Chill until time to serve. \-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\- RE: Favorite Dinner Salads clip this post email this post what is this? see most clipped and recent clippings Posted by bean\_counter\_z4 (My Page) on Wed, Jan 24, 07 at 9:48 Forgot one of my favorites Summer Ham & Fruit Salad This salad is ready in minutes and loaded with great seasonal fresh fruit flavor. Salad Ingredients: 1 1/2 cups cubed cooked ham 2 medium nectarines or peaches, peeled, sliced 1 (10\-ounce) package (6 cups) mixed salad greens 1 pint strawberries, hulled, sliced 4 ounces (1 cup) Swiss Cheese, shredded Dressing Ingredients: 1/4 cup orange juice 2 tablespoons vegetable oil 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar 1/2 teaspoon poppy seed 1/4 teaspoon salt 1\. Combine all salad ingredients in serving bowl; toss well. 2\. Whisk together all dressing ingredients in small bowl. Pour dressing over salad; toss to coat. 3\. To serve, spoon salad mixture onto individual salad plates. Makes 4 servings. TIP: This salad offers lots of flexibility: \* You can use chicken or turkey in place of the ham. \* Substitute a berry mix (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries) for the strawberries. \* Try a purchased poppy seed dressing instead of making your own. \* Try another cheese: Muenster, Provolone or American Cheese. \-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\- RE: Favorite Dinner Salads clip this post email this post what is this? see most clipped and recent clippings Posted by maiaa (My Page) on Wed, Jan 24, 07 at 10:02 One of our all\-time favorite salads is the Spinach salad with Mango and candied Pecan (Bon Appetit). It is terrific with some grilled chicken and always gets rave reviews. And if you haven't tried one of those new Mango pitters (kind of like an apple corer and slicer) they are well worth the money! SPINACH SALAD WITH MANGO AND CANDIED PECANS Nonstick vegetable oil spray 1/4 cup (packed) golden brown sugar 6 tablespoons olive oil 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar 1 cup pecan halves 1 6\-ounce bag baby spinach leaves 1 large mango, peeled, pitted, cut into thin wedges Spray sheet of foil with nonstick spray. Stir sugar, 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon vinegar in heavy medium skillet over medium heat until sugar melts and syrup bubbles, about 3 minutes. Mix in pecans. Stir until nuts are toasted and syrup coats nuts evenly, about 7 minutes. Turn nuts out onto prepared foil. Using fork, separate nuts and cool completely (coating will harden). Combine spinach, mango and cooled pecans in large bowl. Whisk remaining 5 tablespoons oil and 2 tablespoons vinegar in small bowl to blend. Season dressing with salt and pepper. Toss salad with enough dressing to coat. Makes 4 servings. Bon Appétit \-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\- RE: Favorite Dinner Salads clip this post email this post what is this? see most clipped and recent clippings Posted by susytwo (My Page) on Wed, Jan 24, 07 at 10:05 This is great with some slices of grilled chicken on top. I adapted it from one I found on allrecipes. Almond\-Cranberry Spinach Salad 3/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted 1 pound baby spinach or mixed greens 3/4 cup dried cranberries 3 TB sesame seeds, toasted Dressing: 1 tablespoon poppy seeds 1/4 cup sugar 2 teaspoons minced onion 1/4 teaspoon paprika 1/4 cup white wine vinegar 1/4 cup cider vinegar 1/2 cup olive oil Combine the spinach, toasted almonds and cranberries in a salad bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the sesame seeds, poppy seeds, sugar, onion, paprika, white wine vinegar, cider vinegar, and olive oil. Toss with spinach just before serving. \-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\- RE: Favorite Dinner Salads clip this post email this post what is this? see most clipped and recent clippings Posted by mustangs (My Page) on Wed, Jan 24, 07 at 10:16 WOW, it would be hard to top or resist any of the recipes already offered! Arugula Salad with Figs, Prosciutto, Walnuts, and Parmesan 4 tbls olive oil 2 oz thinly sliced prosciutto cut into strips 1 tbls raspberry jam 3 tbls fig balsamic vinegar 1/3 cup dried figs, chopped into ¼ inch pieces 1 tbls finely chopped shallot 5 cups baby arugula ½ cup chopped walnuts, toasted 2 oz Parmesan, shaved into thin strips 1\. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in 10 inch nonstick skillet over medium heat; add prosciutto and fry until crisp, stirring frequently for about 7 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer to paper towel to drain and cool. 2\. Whisk jam and vinegar in medium microwave\-safe bowl; stir in figs. Cover with plastic wrap, cut several steam vents in plastic and microwave on high until figs are plump, about 45 seconds. Whisk in 3 tablespoons oil, shallots, ¼ tsp salt; toss to combine. Let cool to room temperature. 3\. Toss arugula and vinaigrette in large bowl; adjust seasonings with salt. Divide salad among individual plates; top with portion of prosciutto, walnuts, and Parmesan. \-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\- this is amazing! clip this post email this post what is this? see most clipped and recent clippings Posted by sands99 (My Page) on Wed, Jan 24, 07 at 10:28 Wow this is like Christmas! You put up a wish list before you got to bed and >>pouf!I'm at work but I can't help peeking in to see all the tasty recipes you guys keep adding! You guys are gonna get me fired \- fat and fired lol. \-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\- RE: Favorite Dinner Salads clip this post email this post what is this? see most clipped and recent clippings Posted by ruthanna (My Page) on Wed, Jan 24, 07 at 18:50 Oh, what wonderful recipes. Thank you all. BEEF\-BARLEY SALAD  serves 4 10 oz. well\-trimmed flank steak 1/ 2 tsp. salt 1/ 4 cup fresh lemon juice 2 1/ 2 cups defatted chicken broth 3 cloves garlic, minced 1 tsp. grated lemon zest 1/ 2 tsp. ground ginger 1 1/ 2 cups quick\-cooking barley 6 oz. green beans, cut into 1 inch lengths 1 Tbs. olive oil 2 carrots, shredded 2 tomatoes, cut into 8 wedges each 2 Tbs. coarsely chopped toasted pecans 4 cups torn romaine lettuce leaves Rub the steak with I Tbs. of the lemon juice and the salt. Grill or broil until medium\-rare. Let cool, then refrigerate overnight. Next day, cut the steak on the diagonal in bite\-size pieces, reserving any juices. In a medium saucepan, combine 2 cups of the broth, 1/ 2 cup of water, the garlic, lemon zest, and ginger and bring to a boil over medium heat. Add the barley, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the barley is almost tender, about 8 minutes. Add the green beans and cook until the beans are crisp\-tender and the barley is tender, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat; do not drain any remaining liquid. In a large bowl, combine the remaining 1/ 2 cup broth, the remaining 3 Tbs. lemon juice, the steak juices, and the oil. Add the beef and everything else except the lettuce, tossing well to combine. If taking for lunch, pack lettuce and salad mixture separately and serve salad on top of lettuce. This makes a lot but is a good picnic salad for a crowd. BLACK EYED PEA AND HAM SALAD (20 servings) 1 ½ lbs. black\-eyes peas 2 medium onions, peeled 2 medium carrots, peeled 2 cloves garlic, peeled 1 ¾ lbs. smoked ham, cut into ¼" cubes ¾ cup chopped fresh parsley 1 tsp. hot pepper sauce Oil and vinegar dressing (below) Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste 1 ½ cups diced seeded tomatoes Soak peas over night or by quick\-soak method; drain. Place peas, onions, carrots and garlic in a 6\-qt. pot. Add water to cover by at least 2 inches and bring to boil. Lower heat immediately and simmer until peas are tender but not mushy, about 45 to 60 minutes. Remove vegetables and set aside. Drain peas, discarding any visible shells. Cut onions and carrots into fine dice. Mash or finely chop garlic. Mix these ingredients with the drained peas. Add the ham, parsley, hot pepper sauce and dressing and season with salt & pepper. Stir gently to distribute dressing. Refrigerate until well chilled, overnight if desired. When ready to serve, gently stir in diced tomatoes. OIL AND VINEGAR DRESSING ½ cup good\-quality olive oil 6 Tbs. vegetable oil ½ cup red wine vinegar 3 Tbs. fresh lemon juice 2 ½ tsp. soy sauce ½ tsp. Worcestershire sauce 1 to 2 tsp. sugar 2 Tbs. whole\-grain prepared mustard 4 cloves garlic, halved 1 ½ Tbs. fresh basil, chopped, or 1 tsp. dried 1 tsp. dried oregano Mix all ingredients together with whisk and let garlic marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight. Remove garlic and pour over salad. \-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\- RE: Favorite Dinner Salads clip this post email this post what is this? see most clipped and recent clippings Posted by granjan (My Page) on Thu, Jan 25, 07 at 2:17 Since many salad ingredients are in short supply right now we've been having citrus salads. CA Winter Salad Sections of red grapefruit, tangerines or manderines and oranges, especially blood oranges. (They may have all gotten frozen!) Cubed avocados Sliced sweet onions, if they aren't very sweet soak in water for a few minutes. Butter lettuce and red or green leaf lettuce or shredded romaine. Toasted nuts. Hazelnuts are wonderful Crumbled feta or fresh goat cheese Cut the citrus over the salad bowl to capture all the juice. Add the lettuce, onions and avocado. Season with salt and pepper, and toss with olive oil. Add some red wine or sherry vinegar and taste. Add nuts and cheese. \-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\- Post a Follow\-Up User Name: caliloo \[If you aren't caliloo, please click here.\] Subject of Posting: Message: Optional Link URL: Name of the Link: \-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\- Return to the Cooking Forum Join : Garden Forums : Home Forums : Exchanges & Trading : Member Pages : Contact Us © 2006 iVillage Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Service : Privacy Policy : Policies FAQ : Advertising
  • teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

Here are some recipes I like to make and keep on hand in the summer when it's too hot to eat.

Mary Lynn's Marinated Vegetable Salad

1 cup sugar (I use less)
    3/4 cup cider vinegar
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1 t. pepper
    1/2 t. salt
    1 16 oz. can French-style green beans or 1 box frozen beans, thawed
    1 16 oz. can green peas or a 10z. box of frozen, thawed
    2 14oz. cans shoepeg corn
    1 2oz. jar diced pimento
    1 cup chopped celery
    1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
    1 bunch green onions, chopped

Mix sugar, vinegar, oil, s&p in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cool.

Mix other drained ingredients in a big bowl, pour dressing over, mix well. Chill 8 hours or more. Serves 8-10. Keeps several days in the fridge.

Ginger Peach Jello - from my mom

1 16oz. can sliced peaches, chop, drain off syrup and save
    1 3 oz. pkg. peach jello
    1 cup boiling water
    water
    Add water to drained peach liquid to make 1 cup. Put dry jello in a bowl, add boiling water and cold water/peach juice. Stir well to dissolve

Add: 1 TB vinegar and 1 TB sugar
    Also stir in 1/2 t. ground cloves or English Mixed Spice or Pumpkin Pie Spice or 1/4 t. ground ginger plus 1/4. ground cloves.

Stir in chopped peaches. Pour in a glass baking dish. Cover, chill until set. Serve as a salad or a dessert.

Marinated Spiced Carrots

1 lb. carrots, peel, cut into 3" long sticks
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    1/2 cup water
    1 TB mustard seed
    3 whole cloves
    1 3" stick cinnamon, broken

Blanch carrots in boiling water for 3 minutes, drain, cool with cold running water, drain well, put in a bowl.

In a saucepan, combine the rest. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer for 10 minutes. Pour over carrots, cool. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Drain liquid off with a slotted spoon when serving.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    14 years ago

I came across this collection and remembered you asked for recipes to keep the kitchen cool.

• lov2garden
    14 years ago

I've been having a blast keeping my fridge stocked with 3-4 cold "sides" in big glad ware containers.

While it's not a no-heat, no cook solution, it pretty much is all done in one cool morning a week. If we are invited to a cook out, I just take what I've already made.

I try to have 3-4 of any of the following and change the variety weekly:
    pasta salad
    grain salad
    bean salad
    vegetable sald
    potato salad
    fruit salad

Cold chicken, meat, fish, cheese can be added to most to make it a meal in itself or marinated chicken tenders, burgers, fish, etc are quickly grilled. The actual entrees are not varied much but the new weekly variety of "sides" makes it seem like we're not having the same thing all of the time.

I had one bean & grain cooking session where I made a big pot of small grains & beans and another of larger beans. I just went to the bulk grocery and got a cup or so of every dried grain & dried bean that appealed to me. After cooking, I cold rinsed all of them, drained well and froze in recipe size containers. I had enough to last for 6 weeks. We also found that the dishes with beans are not causing gas problems. I think it might be because I rinse and drain them several times to cool them down quickly after cooking. I use canned beans as a backup if I run out frozen supply. I rinse them all very well and drain them too.

It's like having your own ever ready salad bar or deli counter. We are all finding that having these kinds food choices to be very "craveable" and no one is complaining yet.

I keep thinking I ought to make up some bread machine mixes and add some good bread to the menu but I haven't been motivated enough yet. That might be my safety strategy if complaints start coming :)

This has been my most awesome, inexpensive, healthy and easy food summer ever! My family helps themselves to the fridge "sides" throughout the day and dinner is ready in less than 15 minutes with hardly any cleanup. Nothing is changed for guests and they seem to like it too. I am even losing weight by having a little custard cup full of a "side" to hold me until I get hungry again instead of having breakfast, lunch & snacks. No bagged snack foods or the other high calorie/high $$$ foods we always used to rely on during the summer.