Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Must Be Too Much Caffeine

Posted by dcarch (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 10:25

I was still up last night very late. An idea came to my head.

I have a rotisserie which I use to roast large quantities of green coffee beans. "What if I use the microwave oven?"

Looked on youtube, didn't find anyone's video.

I tried, and it worked. You can microwave/roast green coffee beans, small or large quantities.

1. You need a ceramic bowl, not covered. Plastic may melt.

2. You need to stir the beans every 20 seconds to get an even "roast", depending on your MW power.

3. Near the end, it will be somewhat smoky.

4. It didn't take too long, depending how dark you like the beans roasted.

Have fun.

dcarch

This post was edited by dcarch on Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 10:38

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Must Be Too Much Caffeine

Hmmm. Interesting.

What is "not long"? 2 or 3 minutes?

Any danger to the microwave? Of overheating or something? I am really dumb about the technology of MW, but many years ago, when I bought my first one, there were lots of cautions about not running a MW without food inside.

Is that still true? Do drying coffee beans count as food?

What about the chaff? Could I lay a damp paper towel on top of the beans? Nah, the moisture would just evaporate and the towel blow around. Maybe a weighted cloth over the bowl to restrain the chaff? Maybe totally unnecessary?

Maybe I'll just have to try it. Thanks for the idea.

Edited to add: Here's an interesting thread on Coffee Geek about MW roasting green coffee beans:

Here is a link that might be useful: Coffeegeek MW roasting coffee

This post was edited by Bellsmom on Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 14:41

o
RE: Must Be Too Much Caffeine

Interesting link. Thanks. Some wrong statements about science, but not that important.

The MW roast the bean fast. How fast depends on the MW's power, and how much beans. You get the cracks fast.

There are water and oils in beans to absorb MW energy, so the MW would not be damaged. I am talking about newer MWs, which has some self-protecting abilities.

I made a pot this morning. The coffee tasted just the same as regular roasted.

I think with experimentation, MW oven, its ability to heat with completely different energy, can perhaps make a better cup of coffee.

dcarch

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here