SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moosemac_gw

Love Maine Lobster, Hate Cleaning the Cooking Pot

moosemac
9 years ago

Each year I celebrate my birthday with my older bachelor cousin so he is not alone on his birthday. We are 9 years and 363 days apart. It's become tradition for me to host a small cookout and cook Maine lobsters (his favorite). For years, I have steamed the lobsters in a huge pot. The one thing I hate about the entire process is cleaning that smelly pot and the rack insert. Yuck!

This year I decided to try something different, steaming the lobsters in disposable steam table pans on the grill. I Googled the idea and found a couple of vague directions. Armed with vague info and an idea I forged on. I'm pleased to report it worked! Lobsters cooked perfectly! We normally use disposable pans for the discarded shells so we re-used the cooking pans hence no extra waste except the foil to cover the pans. Clean up was a breeze! Hallelujah!

Here's a basic how to.

Grill Cooking Steamed Lobster

Aluminum Steam Table Pans, Full or Half size
Maine Lobsters, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 lbs. each
Heavy Duty Aluminum foil
Sea salt if desired
Water

Each half size pan will hold 2 lobsters, 3 if smaller
Each full size pan will hold 4-5 lobsters

Place lobsters in pan. Add 2 cups of water to half size pan or 4 cups water to full size pan. Add 1 tsp. sea salt to half pan or 2 tsp. salt to full pan if desired. Cover and seal tightly with foil.

Preheat gas grill on high. Place pans on grill and close cover. Cook 15-20 minutes without opening cover.

Note: Cooking times are approximate. Cooking time depends on BTU's of grill and lobster size. We had a few 2 lbs.+ lobsters that took a 25 minutes and then we let them rest covered for another 10 minutes or so.

Comments (15)