SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Really good italian sauce secrets

lpinkmountain
13 years ago

A friend and I went to a little "hole in the wall" place this week for italian food. Everything on the menu rang my bell, very generous portions and super high quality. But I just cannot afford to eat out very often at a place like that. It wasn't overpriced, but the larger entrees were between just under 20 and just under 30 bucks! I had mushrooms stuffed with crabmeat which came covered in a brothy sauce with tomatoes and onions and fresh herbs, out of this world and suitable for sopping! My friend had seafood marinara with clams, scallops and shrimp. He ate out most of the seafood and I got the leftover pasta for lunch the next day. Oh, it also had sundried tomatoes. This sauce too was to die for!

So what are the secrets for making really good sauces like this? Perhaps buying higher end imported ingredients? Both sauces were meat based, (actually seafood although the golden sauce on the mushrooms may have had some chicken broth), which is one flavor ingredient my sauces rarely have. I mean I make GOOD marinara, but this was a whole other level. And a good light white or I guess I should say "golden" sauce for pasta that's not loaded with dairy and cheese is something I can hardly ever pull off.

What are your secrets. I'm talking out of this world sauces. I can make a decent one with the basic techiques, I need to know how I can go from a B+ to an A. But no red meat, that will NEVER happen at my house.

Comments (33)