SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
triciae_gw

Campylobacteriosis

triciae
10 years ago

I haven't been around much the past three weeks. DH has been terribly ill. Acutely ill. Started with a headache and a slight backache accompanied by a general feeling of malaise. Within a couple days he developed severe case of what my Mom would have called the "back door trots" that continued 24/hrs. a day. After 2 days of that he went to see our primary care doctor who told him it was probably a virus he'd picked up. She did an EKG because of something she heard in his chest and it was OK but ordered blood tests. Also told him to get lots of Gatorade in the house and to stay hydrated. This was on a Friday (3 weeks ago yesterday). By the following Monday, he'd lost 20 lbs. and was so sick I was afraid of losing him. Blood work was normal. Doctor ordered more tests that take several days for results. By Wednesday we knew he had somehow contracted campylobacteriosis.

I'm posting this here rather than on Conversations 'cause it's a good reminder to all of us that cook. After hundreds of questions by the doctor as to whether he'd been out of the country, handling animals, etc. a definite cause hasn't been determined. But, it's likely from handing raw chicken. We did have a roast organic chicken a few days before he became ill. I ate the same chicken and did not become sick though. The other possibility is that DH contracted the campylobacter from our soil after Sandy. He'd been doing lots of cleanup.

In any event, he's still very sick, on his second course of antibiotics, still chugging Gatorade, can't hold down food, extremely tired, the headache is still with him and is still getting the chills. He is, however, slowly improving. Our doctor told him that campylobacteriosis can be almost symptom free or it can make you extremely ill and about 124 people die each year. DH is one of those who is very sick. It's going to take him a month or maybe a bit more to be back on his feet. That darn Gatorade has kept him from being hospitalized.

So, just a reminder...no amount of safety, extra cleanup work, etc. is too much when handling raw poultry. Even though we're not positive DH got this from fixing that chicken, it is one of the possibilities. Spray a diluted bleach mixture everywhere after prepping the chicken! This is ugly stuff.

/tricia

Comments (32)