SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bellsmom

SUCCESS--Popcorn popper roasted coffee

bellsmom
9 years ago

Thanks to the folks here, I have now successfully roasted three pounds of coffee--not all at once, of course.

As others have said, it is either the best I have had or nearly so. Certainly the best coffee I have had at home.

I did find that, indeed, the roasted coffee needs to "degas" for two days before grinding and using. You weren't kidding when you said it doesn't taste very good the next day!

With my vast experience (a grand total of 3 pounds of roasted beans) in mind, some of you might find this routine helpful. I certainly had no idea what was needed or how to do this a month ago! And it's so easy!

Two days before you will need the coffee:

Measure one pound of coffee into separate sandwich bags of 85 or so grams each. This produces about 75 grams of roasted beans (they lose moisture in the roasting process) per baggie, which is what I like for my 10 cup coffeemaker, and, conveniently, is also about the proper load for the popper. (I usually have about 20 or 30 grams of green beans left over to use next session with a new pound of beans--5 days off.)

Set the popper in the sink with a large bowl lined with wet paper towels under the spout to catch the chaff.
Pour one 85 gram bag into the slightly pre-warmed popper, turn it back on and stir a bit until the beans begin to rotate, and heat for 7 minutes or so. Experience will tell you how long works best for you. Keeping notes the first few times is a great idea.

Turn off the popper and, using hot pads to handle the hot popper, pour the beans into a large colander and shake for a couple of minutes to cool quickly, then pour them on a large cookie sheet to continue cooling.

Repeat with the next pre-measured baggie of beans.
(I usually let the popper cool a bit between batches)

When cool, pour back into the baggies and set the slightly open bags of beans aside to degas for 2 days.
After two days, twist the bags shut and store in a mason jar until used.
This makes about 5 days worth of coffee for us. A little past optimum age in the last day or two, but very drinkable and convenient.

It is quite convenient to have the beans pre-measured and ready to pour into the grinder each morning.

Edited to add this:
Sleevendog--Yes, I do plan to by-pass the thermostat. (Or rather, have an electrician-friend do it) As you said, I can't get much past first crack and then the popper cools slightly. It peaks at about 425, then drops back and stays between 350 and 375. But for now, this is still darn good roast!

Here is a link that might be useful: Here is my original post and many helpful responses

This post was edited by Bellsmom on Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 9:44

Comments (5)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio