SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
booberry85

Salads, Salads, Salads

booberry85
12 years ago

With the oncoming of summer and some warmer weather, it starts me thinking of summertime fare. Do you have a no-fail potato salad? A knock out pasta salad? A fresh greens salad that doesn't make your significant other / kids yawn? Hey what about some great fruit salad recipes?

Sock it to me! Please post any secrets and tips you have that add zip to your salad, help keep your salads fresh, etc. Post those recipes for your salads that you feast on during the summer!

Comments (22)

• angelaid
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Made a Salmon Caesar salad with leftover salmon last night. Yum!

Here's another summer favorite I made up years ago:

Ang�s Pasta Salad

Cook about 1 and 1/2 cups of Rotina (multi-colored spiral-shaped pasta) according to package directions. Rinse and drain well.
    Cook 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I sprinkle with seasoning salt and throw them on the grill).
    Chop chicken breasts into bite-size pieces and add to drained pasta.
    Rinse and drain one can of dark red kidney beans and add to pasta/chicken.
    Drain one can of black olives. Cut each olive in half and add to pasta/chicken.
    Pour in about 1/2 a bottle of Italian dressing (shake well)
    Add extra chopped garlic (to taste)
    Add fresh ground pepper (to taste)
    Add about one cup of Parmesan Cheese (not the dry stuff in the green can!)
    Mix well and refrigerate overnight

• lowspark
    12 years ago

I posted this on the cold soup thread. A friend made it at a dinner we were at a few months ago and it was delicious. I made it last night to serve to friends tonight. It was really easy to make. I like that it uses rice instead of the usual macaroni in cold salads - something different.

Pebble Salad

Serves 8 to 10 as a side dish; 6 as a main course

1 5.2 or 6 oz package long-grain and wild rice
    1 (12-ounce) can white corn, drained
    1 small cucumber, seeded and chopped
    2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
    2 green onions, with tops, thinly sliced
    1/3 cup chopped parsley
    1/4 cup olive or vegetable oil
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 teaspoon dill weed
    1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 cup dry-roasted sunflower seeds
    romaine lettuce
    1/3 cup slivered almonds

Prepare rice according to package instructions. Let cool to room temperature. Stir in corn, cucumber, carrots, green onions and parsley. Combine lemon juice, oil, garlic, dill weed, mustard and pepper in a small bowl and mix well. Stir into rice mixture. Cover and chill several hours or overnight. Stir in sunflower seeds. Serve on lettuce-lined plates and sprinkle with almonds.

My notes:
    I didn't use Uncle Ben's. Just made a cup of wild rice mixture that I buy in pound containers. Cheaper.
    I used frozen corn.
    I stuck the rice in the fridge to cool off while I chopped the veggies.
    I made at least 1.5 x the dressing it called for and I added salt.

• Related Discussions

RECIPE: Salads, Salads, Salads

Q

Comments (1)
    Posted in the wrong forum! Sorry! I'll post this in the cooking forum.
    ...See More

Tomato Salads, Salads, Salads. Enough Already!!!

Q

Comments (7)
    Same here... salads, salads, sauces, roasted, salads, roasted.... but I *still* haven't had a BLT this summer and I'm not sick of tomatoes yet. :) I've never roasted my tomatoes before, but tried it recently because of the raves on this forum and we absolutely LOVE them roasted, especially when they're mixed colors!!! they're so versatile too! It's late in the season here, but I still have plenty of sun gold, red grape, and way too many green zebra. :o) Your shrimp w/ sun gold combo sounds really good to me!
    ...See More

Canadian Food Orgy

Q

Comments (14)
    That was just a business event that I was invited to. There were a few Canadians invited. At my suggestion, noting that it was Canadian Thanksgiving, the sponsor added the turkey to make the gathering more interesting. As you can see, I did not even show the seafood table. I was not interested in the Chilean sea bass, it seemed overcooked, and the jumble shrimps looked to me to be those unfortunate treated shrimps. I never eat raw oysters and raw clams unless I buy them myself. The Bar, yes I visited a few times. :-) FOAS, the beef and lamb were very good, however, they did get me thinking, while they were expensive tender cuts of meat, and they were very tender and delicious, they seemed chewy to me. So a couple of days ago, while my memory was still fresh, I bought a nice piece of bone-in ribeye, sous vided it. In conclusion, that extra sous vide tenderness did it for me. It elevated the beef from excellent to supreme (for me). I may post pictures when I have sometime. LindaC, good eyes. I had a wedge of the pecan pie. It was great, not too sweet. No. No poutine. But I have had it whenever I was visiting my relatives in Quebec and Montreal. I keep promising myself that I should try making it someday. dcarch
    ...See More

Seasonal Chicken Salad (gory-like)

Q

Comments (2)
    Wow, that took a long time to show up! it posted, then disappeared. I presume because of the b-word. :D The salad, in the way of these things, got deliciouser as it melded. Surprisingly, so long as the beets were well distributed, for texture, it was very good in sandwiches. No funk. John, these were remarkably non-staining beets. There were a couple bunches to start. I'd used the tops fresh, and the beets were in the fridge for awhile. They (plus the beef cooked in the same sheet) made lots of red goo (lightened in the salad by the mayonnaise). At various times they goried up various things and rinsed right off. I don't know enough about beet kind to know why, but it was a new experience for me. Usually, I need to put the cutting board in the dishwasher to get the beet color off. It may be the skin that saved the potatoes, though. Torn, in the salad, they did turn red.
    ...See More
  • dgkritch
    12 years ago

One of my favorite summer 'meals' is a Tuna Pasta Salad.
    No real recipe, just ingredients to taste.

Whole Wheat Pasta
    Tuna
    Celery
    Onion
    Dill Pickle
    Fat free Miracle Whip (mayo for you 'haters' LOL)
    S & P

Note: MUST be served with BBQ chips.......at least at my house!

Deanna

• lindac
    12 years ago

Well....there's the good old "Salata" Which is just about equal quantities of diced cucumber and peeled seeded tomato....about half that amount each or red onion and green pepper...lightly salted and sprinkled very lightly with sugar, and then drizzled with cider vinegar and olive oil....tossed refrigerated for ab hour or 2 and served.

And I make a seafood pasta salad which I have posted here before.

My potato salad is killer...but I would be hard pressed tow rite it down...it's one of those things I "learned" to do.
    Linda C

• trixietx
    12 years ago

I think I make a pretty good potato salad also, but lately I have been doing this and my family really enjoys it.

Loaded Baked Potato Salad
    8 potatoes, cubed (half peeled or half with skin)
    2 teaspoons salt
    6 slices bacon, diced & crisp cooked
    6 green onions
    2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
    16 ounces sour cream
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 cup Miracle Whip (I have made it with mayo and we prefer MW)

Cube and boil potatoes with salt.
    2Drain. (I bake the potatoes with skins on and dice)
    3Crumble bacon and slice onions (including tops).
    4Combine sour cream, pepper and Miracle Whip.
    5Add to potatoes.
    6Add bacon, onions and cheese (reserve some of each for top).
    7Mix with potatoes.
    8Pour into baking dish.
    9Top with reserved cheese, onions, and bacon.
    10Bake 350 for 10-15 minutes (until cheese melts).
    I don't do steps 8-10, I mix it and refrigerate and that is how we like it.
    I also do not measure, just add what looks like the right amount and has worked so far.

• katefisher
    12 years ago

I made this one for I believe it was Thanksgiving at a friends house last year and it won rave reviews. So simply and a wonderful combination of flavors.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Beautiful Salad

• doucanoe
    12 years ago

I am definitely going to try May's Pebble Salad! That looks delicious!

Southwestern-Style Shrimp Taco Salad

Ingredients
    1/4 cup fresh lime juice
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    2 teaspoons maple syrup
    2 teaspoons chipotle hot sauce
    3/4 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
    2 ears shucked corn
    Cooking spray
    1 cup chopped romaine lettuce
    1/2 cup chopped green onions
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
    3 plum tomatoes, chopped
    2 ounces baked blue corn tortilla chips (about 1 1/2 cups)
    1/3 cup light sour cream
    1/4 cup diced peeled avocado
    Lime wedges (optional)

Preparation
    1. Prepare grill to medium-high heat.

2. Combine lime juice, olive oil, cumin, garlic, syrup, and hot sauce in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Place the shrimp in a shallow bowl. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the lime juice mixture over shrimp, tossing gently to coat. Reserve the remaining lime juice mixture; set aside. Thread shrimp onto metal skewers. Lightly coat corn with cooking spray. Place shrimp kebabs and corn on a grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill 8 minutes, turning kebabs once and turning corn frequently until browned. Remove from grill; cool slightly.

3. Remove shrimp from skewers, and place in a large bowl. Cut kernels from ears of corn. Add corn, chopped lettuce, green onions, cilantro, black beans, and plum tomatoes to shrimp. Drizzle reserved lime juice mixture over the shrimp mixture, and toss gently to combine.

4. Divide tortilla chips evenly among 6 shallow bowls; top each serving with 1 cup shrimp mixture. Combine sour cream and diced avocado in a small bowl; mash with a fork until well blended. Top each serving with about 1 tablespoon sour cream mixture. Serve with a lime wedge, if desired.

Here is my version of a really great salad that was served in the cafeteria at one of the medical centers I work at. Yep....really good hospital food! LOL Asian Vegetable Rice Noodle Salad Inspired by the Asian Salad served at Fairview Lakes 1/2 c shredded carrot 1 c broccoli buds 2 green onions, sliced 1/2 c water chestnuts, sliced 1/2 c snow pea pods 1/3 c red bell pepper, julienne 1 bag rice noodles, cooked al dente (about 2\-3 minutes) Asian Sesame Dressing From Southern Living 9/2002 1/4 c canola oil 2 T white wine vinegar 1 T soy sauce 2 tsp sugar 1/2 tsp sesame oil 1/4 tsp dried crushed red pepper Combine all of the vegetables with the cooked noodles. Toss with the dressing. Chill & Serve. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ And another favorite. Wild Rice Salad Ina Garten Ingredients 1 cup long\-grain wild rice 2 1/2 tsp kosher salt 2 navel oranges 2 tbsp olive oil 2 tbsp fresh orange juice 2 tbsp raspberry vinegar 1/2 cup green grapes, cut in half 1/2 cup pecans, toasted 1/4 cup dried cranberries 1 scallion, white and green parts chopped 1/2 tsp ground black pepper Directions 1\. In a medium saucepan over high heat combine rice, 4 cups water, and 2 tsp salt and bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, until rice is tender, 50 to 60 minutes. Drain and return rice to the pan. Cover and allow to rest for 10 minutes. 2\. While rice is still warm, place it in a mixing bowl. Peel oranges with a sharp knife, removing all the white pith. Cut between the membranes and add the orange sections to the bowl with the rice. Add the olive oil, orange juice, raspberry vinegar, grapes, pecans, cranberries, scallions, 1/2 tsp salt, and pepper. Allow to sit for 30 minutes for the flavors to blend. Serve at room temperature. Serves 4 to 6. Linda
  • 3katz4me
    12 years ago

This is my all time favorite for summer. I make exactly as stated below except I use half the amount of feta (and I use low fat feta) since I'm not a huge feta fan.

Orzo with Tomatoes, Feta, and Green Onions
    Bon Appetit : April 2006
    by Giada De Laurentiis

1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1 teaspoon honey
    1/2 cup olive oil

6 cups chicken broth
    1 pound orzo (or riso)

2 cups red and yellow teardrop or grape tomatoes, halved
    1 7-ounce package feta cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 1 1/2 cups)
    1 cup chopped fresh basil
    1 cup chopped green onions
    1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted

Whisk vinegar, lemon juice, and honey in small bowl. Gradually whisk in oil. Season vinaigrette with salt and pepper. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and chill.)

Bring broth to boil in large heavy saucepan. Stir in orzo, reduce heat to medium, cover partially, and boil until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain. Transfer to large wide bowl, tossing frequently until cool.
    Mix tomatoes, feta, basil, and green onions into orzo. Add vinaigrette; toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.) Add pine nuts; toss. Serve at room temperature.

Here is a link that might be useful: Epicurious link

• Georgysmom
    12 years ago

Lemony Shrimp Ditalini Salad

3 hard cooked eggs, sliced
    1 C uncooked ditalini pasta
    8 oz. cooked shrimp (small - I use more)
    3 stalks of celery, finely chopped
    2 green onions, finely sliced
    1/2 tsp. fresh dill, finely chopped
    1 T. coarsely chopped flat leaf parsley
    1/4 C. fresh lemon juice
    1 C mayonnaise (Hellman's)
    Salt and pepper

Cook pasta about 8 min. Rinse and drain thoroughly. Toss salad with eggs and remaining ingredients leaving a few slices of egg for garnish. Chill several hours.

Potato Salad

2 lb. potatoes (6 med.)
    1/4 C finely chopped onion
    1 tsp. salt - 1/4 tsp pepper
    1/4 C Good seasons Italian dressing (mixed according to directions)
    1/2 C mayonnaise (Hellman's)
    1/2 C chopped celery
    2 hard cooked eggs, chopped

Cook potatoes 30 - 35 minutes or until tender. Drain, peel and cut into cubes. Combine with onion, celery, salt, pepper and Italian dressing while potatoes are warm. Cover and chill at least 2 hours. Before serving, add mayonnaise and eggs.

• jakkom
    12 years ago

I introduced my Chinese/Portugese husband to this salad, and it's now his favorite:

Vietnamese Rice Noodle Salad
    Serves 4

1 lb pkg dried thin rice noodles, reconstituted in boiling water for 5 min, then drained
    3 small heads romaine lettuce, sliced into shreds
    1 small bunch cilantro, stems discarded
    Pickled cucumbers and carrot shreds *
    Quick Nuoc Cham ** (fish sauce dip)
    1 lb. (or less) leftover grilled meat, should be lean, sliced thin, room temp

At least 2 hrs before, up to 2 days prior:
    * Pickled cucumbers and carrot shreds

1 cup rice vinegar
    1 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 English cucumber or 1 whole seeded cucumber, sliced
    1 large carrot, grated

Heat rice vinegar to medium; dissolve sugar and let cool for 15 minutes. Add cucumber and carrot, stir well, and store in covered plastic container in the refrigerator until needed.

** Quick Nuoc Cham (fish sauce dip)

1/2 to 2/3 cup fish sauce
    1/2 to 1 cup granulated sugar (amt depends on saltiness of fish sauce; brands differ)
    1 tsp red pepper flakes OR 1 tsp canned red chili sauce, or to taste
    1/2 tsp lime juice

Combine and stir well to dissolve sugar. Taste for seasoning. You can use a mild honey instead of sugar, if you prefer.

Salad instructions:

1. Reconstitute noodles and drain
    2. Arrange lettuce in bowls
    3. Drain cucumber/carrot pickles, put in a serving bowl
    4. Put hot noodles over the lettuce
    5. Set out with the cilantro, pickles, meat and sauce for everyone to add to their bowls

• booberry85
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Love the recipes. Keep them coming.

Here's a favorite of mine.

Artichoke Salad

This recipe comes from Picnic! by Edith Stovel. This serves 8.

Ingredients

Salad
    1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, washed, dried and sliced
    3 - 6 oz jars marinated artichoke hearts with marinade
    1 medium tomato, seeded and cut into bite size chunks
    1 celery stalk, sliced
    1 small sweet onion, thinly sliced
    4 green onions, thinly sliced
    6 sun dried tomatoes, cut into strips

Dressing
    2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon sugar
    Ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 tablespoons olive oil

In a large bowl, combine all of the vegetables. Whisk the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl and pour over vegetables. Let the salad stand in the refrigerator overnight or 8 hours.

• jude31
    12 years ago

That Pebble Salad is calling my name, too.

I have posted this recipe before. It came to me via my daughter from a little coffee shop/cafe in SC.

This chick pea salad is really good and a little different.
    It makes a lot but it keeps well.

Chick Pea Salad:

2 16 oz. cans Chick Peas, rinsed and drained
    2 C. chopped Romaine Lettuce (use scissors)
    1 1/3 C. Seedless Red Grapes, halved
    1 C. Sweet Red Pepper, chopped
    2/3 C.thinly sliced Celery
    1/2 C finely chopped Onion
    1 1/2 to 2 C. Poppy Seed Dressing …start w/1 C dressing, add more if needed.

*Poppy Seed Dressing:
    3/4 C. sugar
    1/3 C. cider vinegar (heat to boil and pour over sugar)
    1 teas.salt
    1 teas. dry mustard
    1 teas. finely chopped green onion
    1 C. vegetable oil
    1 T. (+) poppy seeds
    Combine first 5 ingredients in blender til smooth. Turn blender on high and gradually pour in oil in slow steady stream. Stir in poppy seeds - cover and chill.

*I have sometimes used purchased poppy seed dressing to save time and it's still good.

jude

• lorijean44
    12 years ago

This is one of my favorites:

Shrimp & Snap Pea Salad with Ginger-Soy Vinaigrette
    Serves 4 as a main course

1-1/2 pounds large shrimp (about 32-36 per pound)
    2 cups snap peas (about 1/2 pound, trimmed)
    3 green onions, trimmed and minced

Ginger-Soy Vinaigrette
    1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
    2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
    2 tablespoons white vinegar
    2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
    1/2 teaspoon honey (my "tweak")
    3 - 5 dashes hot sauce

Garnishes
    1/2 cup diced mango
    1/2 cup chopped roasted cashews
    lime wedges

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add shrimp and cook 3 - 4 minutes, until they turn pink. Drain, run under cold water, peel and devein.

Meanwhile, bring another pot of salted water to a boil, drop in snap peas and boil, uncovered, 2 - 3 minutes, until just tender and still bright green. Drain and rinse immediately with cold water to stop the cooking.

To make vinaigrette: Whisk together olive oil, soy sauce, vinegar, lime juice, ginger, honey, and hot sauce in a small bowl until well-combined.

Put shrimp, snap peas, and green onions in a large bowl, add vinaigrette, and toss well. Divide the mixture among 4 plates and garnish each serving with the diced mango, chopped nuts, and lime wedges.

Source: The Beach House Cookbook, copyright 2005

Lori

Here is a link that might be useful: Showing newest posts for query salad. Show older posts Saturday, June 11, 2011 Rigatoni with Broccoli, Garlic & Breadcrumbs Whenever I visit New York City with my friends and family, we often visit our favorite Italian restaurant there - Carmine's. The mid-town Manhattan location is always busy, especially with the many Broadway patrons before and after shows. I've even had the opportunity to bump into some of Broadway's biggest stars (I once saw Patty Lupone!) The food is always wonderful and plentiful, just like most Italian homes, whether it's one of their wonderful salads, hot or cold appetizers, delicious meat dishes, or, of course, the many pasta dishes they offer. One of my daughter's favorites is their Rigatoni with Broccoli, Garlic & Olive Oil which comes sprinkled with toasted breadcrumbs and grated Parmegiana-Reggiano. It's a delicious non-meat entree that will satisfy even the dedicated carnivores at your dinner table. Rigatoni with Broccoli, Garlic & Breadcrumbs Serves 4 3/4 to 1 pound broccoli florets 1 pound rigatoni 5 tablespoons olive oil 1⁄3 cup dried breadcrumbs 4 - 6 cloves thinly sliced garlic 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes 1⁄2 cup grated Parmigiana-Reggiano Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.Add the broccoli and cook until just tender, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain. Set aside. Bring the water back to a boil and add the pasta.While the pasta cooks, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large, deep skillet over low heat. Add the bread crumbs, stirring, until the crumbs are toasted a golden brown. Remove the breadcrumbs to a small bowl and set aside. Return the skillet to the heat and add the remaining olive oil, garlic, and pepper flakes.Cook until fragrant, then stir in the broccoli. Stir to coat with the oil as the broccoli reheats, and taste for seasoning. If pasta is not yet done, keep the heat low to avoid burning the broccoli. Drain the cooked pasta and add it to the broccoli mixture.Cook over high heat for a minute or so to evaporate any water from the pasta, then stir in the bread crumbs and cheese and serve immediately. You might also like: Shrimp Tacos Gnocchi with Sage Butter Coconut Muffins LinkWithin Posted by Lori (All That Splatters) at 7:41 PM 7 comments Links to this post Labels: Pasta, Vegetables Saturday, May 21, 2011 Garlicky Chicken in Red Pepper Sauce This is another recipe I received in an email from Fine Cooking in their

• coconut_nj
    12 years ago

What a lot of great salads. Lori that shrimp really looks good. That's got to be the longest link name I've ever seen. lol.

One of my favorite summer salads is a basic classic. Bed of greens, a sun kissed fresh off the vine tomato, cut like a flower into at least 8 sections. Open it up and put in a nice mound of your favorite tuna salad. I just love it. I like a simple basic tuna salad with mayo, celery, garlic and onion powder, and a bit of mustard. I also like it without the mayo and such. Just plain tuna with a squeeze of lemon on it and the tomato and lettuce.

One of our other favorites is shrimp remoulade. Boil shrimp in Zatarains crab boil, liquid or dry or both. Peel and cool the shrimp.

Our Remoulade is not measured but here are the ingredients
    Mayo
    onion powder
    granulated garlic powder from Rita.. smiles
    well smashed fresh garlic
    soy sauce
    Worcestershire sauce
    mustard
    ketchup
    lemon juice
    little hot sauce
    maybe some dill relish
    maybe capers

Serve shrimp on greens, covered with Remoulade. A hard boiled egg on side is nice too.

I also frequently eat a basic green salad of greens, celery, carrot, tomatoes with tons and tons of walnuts, cheeses of choice, usually swiss and feta, with a strip or so of parm or romano, big homemade croutons. I like to eat it with just a half a lemon to keep squeezing on it or some homemade thousand island or... remoulade. For my little carnivore I put on some slices of grilled meat, chicken, pork or steak.

• booberry85
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lori,

I looked at that picture and went , "Awww, Yum!!" Like a kid would eye an ice cream cone. I did eat dinner, a Greek salad with chicken, but I'm still hungry.

• lorijean44
    12 years ago

Thanks, ladies. Sorry about the link - it was a simple link when I pasted it, but somehow the whole post got copied. My apologies!

Lori

• riverrat1
    12 years ago

Yum Lori! Thanks for the long link! ;-)

Boo, I'm so glad you posted this thread. I am overwhelmed with great garden veggies that wonderful people gift us with this time of the year. So, I am very busy copying and pasting all of the yummy recipes on this thread!

Coconut, I will be preparing that particular salad that you posted. Sounds lovely!

• gellchom
    12 years ago

I am so stoked by this thread, because I want to make lots of different salads to serve in the pretty set that jessyf sent me! This will be fun (and yummy).

• jae_tn2
    12 years ago

my potato salad

typical southern, at least in my area and family, although not gourmet like most of the others here....lol

the amounts are all approximate and should be used to your taste, should you try it.

3-4 lbs red potatoes with or without skin, cut in smaller than bite size pieces
    1/2-3/4 of a green pepper, chopped
    half of a sweet onion, chopped
    6 boiled eggs, chopped
    mayonnaise, hellmans unless you have a favorite local brand like i do..lol. amounts depend on whether you like it moist or more on the dry side. i like it moist.
    about 2 tbs yellow mustard
    salt and pepper to taste
    some like celery but i don't
    sometimes i add a splash of cider vinegar

just chop it all up and mix together. add or take away ingredients to your taste.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Potato salad should be different every time, so it's great to read everyone's recipes!

Broccoli salad more healthy, less calories

puree:
    1 head roasted garlic (10-12 cloves)
    1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
    generous pinch of sea salt
    fresh grated pepper, about 1 tsp.
    2 handfulls spinach leaves
    drizzle of olive oil if too thick/pasty

whisk into above puree:
    1/4 cup sugar and about 1/2 cup mayo (I use olive oil mayo because I think it tastes the same & saves a lot of calories.)

pour over salad:
    broccoli, 3 stalks, florets only
    raisins, about 1/3 cup
    sunflower hearts, about 1/3 cup
    grated carrot (2 medium)
    1/2 of a vidalia or texas 1015, chopped medium
    Chill overnight.

German potato salad I get raves for

4-5 medium Idaho baking potatoes
    1 package of bacon (I use turkey bacon for this, still tastes great & LOTS less calories)
    1 fist-sized sweet Vidalia or texas 1015 onion, chopped into large pieces
    1 tsp celery seed
    5 or 6 roasted garlic cloves, mashed with fork into paste
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    1/3 cup sugar
    3/4 cup water
    2 Tbs parsley flakes
    3 Tbs butter
    About 1/4 cup flour
    Salt & pepper (I prefer McCormick grinders: sea salt & peppercorn medley)

Boil potatoes whole until soft. Drain & set aside to cool.

In your biggest frying pan, fry all of the bacon until it is crispy enough to crumble. (It stays flat when you grab it in the middle.) Scrape as much bacon grease as you can out of your pan but don't lose the "burnt layer" on the bottom of the pan - this will dissolve into your sauce & make it even more yummy.

Keep off of heat for now. Add butter, garlic. When butter is melted, add enough flour to make a thick paste.

Start adding vinegar a very small amount at a time, making sure it's thoroughly mixed into flour paste after each addition. The easiest way I know to do this is to kind of tilt the pan so everything stays together at the bottom. I use a big nylon spoon with holes in it & mix by mashing at it with the bottom of the spoon. When you've added enough vinegar that it starts to get runny, return to heat, (medium-high, not red-hot) stirring constantly & adding vinegar until it's all in. Keep stirring, add sugar, keep stirring, start adding water slowly, keep stirring. When all of the water is in, keep stirring & heating until it starts to bubble & thicken.

Add onion, bacon, parsley, celery seed, a few grinds of salt & pepper, keep stirring while it bubbles for a few mins, just so the onions lose most of their crunch (but not all.) This will also soften the bacon crumbles a bit. Taste sauce at this point. If it's too sweet, add a little more vinegar. If it's not sweet enough, add a little more sugar. Remove from heat (keep stirring until it stops bubbling.)

Potatoes should be cool enough to touch now. You can peel them if you want (easy to do with just your fingers.) I usually peel about half of them, I like some peel in the salad. Chop into...

• gellchom
    12 years ago

We go completely berserk for this one. I've posted it before, I believe.

WARM PAN-ROASTED SALMON BREAD SALAD
    Makes 4 servings

Salad:
    4 cups large bread cubes (preferably from artisan or peasant bread loaf)
    2 garlic cloves, smashed
    3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    2 pints grape or cherry tomatoes, halved (or chunks of other tomatoes)
    Some baby spinach leaves (1 bag; it shrinks like mad) and/or drained capers, optional
    Salt and pepper
    1 pound skinless salmon fillet (ask the store to skin it for you if you remember), cut into 2-inch chunks
    Juice of 1 lemon
    1/4 cup chopped parsley

Vinaigrette:
    1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    Salt and pepper

To make salad: Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
    Toss bread and garlic with 2 tablespoons oil. Roast 5 minutes until bread is lightly toasted.
    In a large bowl, toss the tomatoes with 1 teaspoon oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add to bread [with parsley, or add that later]. Roast 10 to 12 minutes, just until the tomatoes begin to break down.
    Toss the salmon with the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Nestle the salmon into the bread-and-tomato mixture; spoon tomatoes over fish. Roast until the salmon is just cooked through, about 6 minutes, adding spinach and/or capers a couple of minutes before done.

To make vinaigrette: Transfer garlic to a small bowl and mash. Whisk in vinegar, mustard and thyme in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
    Drizzle vinaigrette over salad. Add parsley and toss to combine (if you didn�t put it in with the tomatoes). Serve immediately (or not! It�s still good later.)
    PER SERVING: 612 calories; 28 g protein; 30 g carbohydrates; 3 g fiber; 42 g fat (7 g saturated); 63 mg cholesterol; 340 mg sodium

• booberry85
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well kids,

I cheated today and bought a BLT salad with chicken today. It was yummy! It consisted of lettuce, spinach, cherry tomatoes, bacon, grilled chicken, cheese and a yummy creamy salad dressing. (see, I bought it to get the recipe!)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor