Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baking fruit pies

Posted by jasdip (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 9:09

I've made 3 rhubarb pies this spring. They always take much longer to bake the crust than the recipe states, so I make sure I bake it in a glass pie plate so I can see when the crust is done.

I can't get the bottom crust to bake on my latest pie that I made on Sunday. The only thing I did differently was to freeze the leftover dough, and I used that. We're eating the filling and the crust on the edge but the bottom is gluey.

One thing I don't do and I just thought of, should I be baking my fruit pies on the very bottom rack?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baking fruit pies

On fruit pies, I always brush the bottom crust with a beaten egg white and let it dry for about 5-10 minutes before adding the filling. It seems to seal the crust from fruit seepage that prevents a soggy bottom crust.

I bake pies with the rack one above the bottom rack position but I don't think rack position makes a whole lot of difference.

o

Thanks Ruthanna. I've never done that, and I'll make sure I do from now on.

I bake mine on the same rack as you do, near the bottom, but not the very bottom one.

o

I've recently read somewhere to bake pies on the bottom rack, another suggestion was to heat a sheet pan while the oven preheats, again, on the bottom rack, & put the pie directly on it. I really need to do that anyway, seems like most of my pies overflow anyway.

o

Ngraham, if you often bake pies, it might be worth investing in a pie drip guard. They let the heat through the hole in the center and any drips are caught by the ring.

Mine is about 50 years old and doesn't have the non-stick coating so I can't recommend a particular brand.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pie Drip Catcher

This post was edited by ruthanna on Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 14:56

o

ngraham, mine do the same thing, I just set an old sheet pan on the rack below the pie.

jasdip, mine always take longer too, I think it's because I like "deep dish" pies. I don't care for crust but like the filling. I often blind bake the crust for about 10 minutes if I have something that I think is going to be particularly juicy, but that doesn't work so well with 2 crust pies.

I also bake in glass pie plates so that I can check that bottom crust, but mine always seem to bake eventually. Sometimes it takes an awfully long time, though.

Annie

o

What a strange coincidence - I was just gonna post a similar question (about soggy bottom crust) when I saw this thread. I don't often bake pies - often just for the holidays- but I was watching the movie Labor Day with Kate Winslet earlier and there was a scene where they bake a peach pie. They put tapioca in the bottom of the pie before putting in the filling to prevent a soggy crust. I was gonna ask if anyone had tried or heard of this and if it actually works.

o

I use tapioca to thicken the juice, but I just mix it in, and I haven't had troubles with soggy or undercooked crusts. I'm guessing that the thickening aspect keeps the liquid from being absorbed by the crust. I had no idea. It's the way my mother learned as a girl to make a fresh fruit pie without a cooked filling, and since I usually have nice fruit, rather than trying to save culls, I never bother with cooked fillings. It's certainly worth a try. Tapioca flour or starch should be easier to work with than pearls, but I couldn't tell you how much. I've never measured. Maybe a tablespoon or two? Some of that depends on how stiff you want your pie filling. Put in too much tapioca and it'll stand up and salute. :)

o

My Late MIL made fantastic pies. This will sound strange, but you never knew or tasted it. She put a layer of Corn Flakes on the bottom crust then the filling.

o

I've always used tapioca to thicken fruit pies,
And I've always made them with fresh fruit.
I've also always sprinkled some tapioca on the bottom crust before I add the fruit.
That's in addition to what I mix in with the fruit, sugar, spices, whatever I'm using.
Why do I do it like this?
Because that's how my Mother did it!
And I've always thought she made the best fruit pies in the whole world!
I also use only glass pie plates for fruit pies,
And I bake them on the lower rack.
I usually preheat the oven to about 400 0r 425,
Then lower to desired temp (325 or 350, depending)
When I put the pies in.
I can honestly say I've never had a soggy bottom crust!
I can only assume it's because Momma knew best!

Rusty

o

This is a great thread! Last week I made a strawberry rhubarb pie, using an egg white wash and a 5 min. pre-bake for the bottom crust and it turned out as the best of that type of pie I have ever made. It was a little awkward doing the edges but I stuck the par baked and unbaked crusts together with more egg whites. I had to cover the edges with foil for the last 15 min. of baking but I always do that. I also used my pyrex pie pan which I don't usually pick, I tend to use my ceramic ones. The one thing I like about the pyrex is when you are serving the pie you can tell if you have all the bottom crust scooped out!

o

I bake fruit pies starting on the bottom rack at 425°F to 450°F for 15 minutes and then raising to the middle rack and lowering the temperature to 350°F.

~Ann

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here