Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White Star shaped squash?

Posted by riverrat1 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 11, 09 at 8:55

I had errands to run yesterday and when I drove up to the house I saw a bag hanging on the door. It was full of garden vegetables! Tomatoes, cucks, zucchini, beans and these white star shaped vegetables. I've never had these before so I'm not sure the correct way to handle/cook them. I still don't know who dropped the veggies at my door but I'm sooooo grateful ;-)

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White Star shaped squash?

RR, could they be pattypan (used to be called a scallop) squash? Very popular here, and they can be sliced and grilled, stir fried, hollowed out and stuffed, then baked. They're very pretty.

C'mon, post a picture and make it easy, LOL!

Annie

o

sounds to me like patty pan too....just cook in any way that you would cook a zuchinni or a yellow squash.
Linda C

o

Here ya go! Aren't they pretty...almost looks like a flower bud. They seem to be extremly hard on the outside. Kinda like an Acorn Squash. Are they ripe? LOL! I really have never had these before.

o
pattypan

Oh yeah, RR, those are pattypan squash. If they are hard on the outside they might be even a little bit over-ripe.

My girls liked it if I just cut them in half (take a slice off the bottom so it will sit flat if necessary, then scoop out some of the middle, saute that with some bread crumbs, cheese, italian sausage if we had it, then stuff it back in and bake the squash. We added onions, parsley, basil, mushrooms, garlic, whatever was on hand and tasted good. (grin)

As LindaC mentioned, they can be used nearly any way you could use zucchini or the yellow crookneck summer squash while they are young and tender, but if the skin is tough, you might want to peel them and treat them more like a winter squash.

Annie

o
Stuffed it is!

Thanks Annie and Linda for the quick response. I'll try them tonight, stuffed, like you said Annie.

I love "new" to me vegetables.

o

What a nice surprise to come home to! Here's another idea, but you will lose the nice, attractive shape.

Dice some bacon, & fry until crispy. Remove from pan. Add diced squash (bite sized pieces), & some diced onion. When tender, add a can of diced tomatoes, simmer for a couple of minutes. Add salt & pepper to taste, if desired. Add the crisp bacon just before serving.

This makes a very pretty & colorful dish if you use a combination of yellow squash, zuchinni, and the patty pan, but it is good with any one of them alone, or any combination.
Rusty

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here