Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small electric cheese grater reccommndations?

Posted by Madeline616 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 8:47

Hello,

I'm looking for a small, easy to clean (with as many dishwasher safe parts as possible) electric cheese grater.

I need it to grate hard Parmesan cheese, into a very fine texture (like the size of large grains of sand or fine gravel).

I've been using the Magic Bullet, but it burns out quickly, is incredibly noisy, and just doesn't operate that smoothly for the Parmesan. It's easy to clean, though, with the plastic done fitting easily into the DW upper rack (the blade part I hand wash).

I'm looking for something small, because when just a couple of us are eating, I don't want to pull out the big food processor to grate just 1/2 cup or so of cheese.

I know the Salad Shooter grates, but the long thin shreds it makes aren't what I'm going for.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks
Madeline :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small electric cheese grater reccommndations?

I just use a microplane. No mess, no fuss, easy wash up, takes up little space.

o

If you have a KA mixer, you can buy a grater attachment for it, which is what I use, and it works great on Parmesan, although I also often use the Microplane, like Colleen. However, if I want to grate a lot of Parmesan, it is much easier to use the KA attachment. It is also very easy to clean, usually just with a damp cloth, although I put the grater part into the DW.

You might be able to find a small food processor that has a grating wheel, but I do not know of one, other than the adapter for the large Cuisinart.

Lars

o

If you have a KA mixer, you can buy a grater attachment for it, which is what I use, and it works great on Parmesan, although I also often use the Microplane, like Colleen. However, if I want to grate a lot of Parmesan, it is much easier to use the KA attachment. It is also very easy to clean, usually just with a damp cloth, although I put the grater part into the DW.

You might be able to find a small food processor that has a grating wheel, but I do not know of one, other than the adapter for the large Cuisinart.

Lars

o

This does exactly what you want but it's ridiculously expensive from amazon.com I bet it would be cheaper to get one from Amazon.fr and pay the shipping!

Here is a link that might be useful: grater

o

I put a link below to a U.S. seller for the same item, but it is still made in France, and the voltage is not listed. If you want to buy it, you should confirm voltage first. If you order it from Amazon.fr, it would almost certainly be 220/240 volts and would need an adapter.

Lars

Here is a link that might be useful: U.S. Version of T-fal grater

o

Thank you both so much! This is great. Looks like just what I need.

o

I saw an episode of The Barefoot Contessa where Ina Garten "grated" parm in her food processor. She just put a chunk in with the blade attachment and processed it till it was a fine texture. I've only done it once, when I needed a lot, but I try to find recipes that don't use quite so much, due to the expense of good parm.

Sally

o

Hi Sally,

Yes, I love using the food processor to grate larger amounts. I learned that from Barefoot Contessa, too :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here