SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
party_music50

Kale chips?

party_music50
9 years ago

Hi -- I *finally* tried making kale chips..... I followed the instructions I found on-line and removed all large/tough ribs, massaged with some olive oil, sprinkled with salt, and baked at 450F for about 15 minutes. The kale chips ended up being *extremely* thin and so brittle that the slightest pressure (or bite) would crush/crumble them into tiny bits.... IOW, the resulting texture was a lot like dried catnip leaves. :)

What didn't get eaten immediately (lots :) was stored in an airtight container. The next day I wanted my friend to try some, but when I tested they seemed to be the texture of slightly under-dried catnip leaves with just enough moisture in them so that they wouldn't crush and were unpleasant to chew... and even the tiniest rib/vein part in any leave was hard and sharp enough to be dangerous to eat! I tried warming them quickly in the oven and the result was that they were again brittle/crumbly but with sharp dangerous riblets. :p

Is that really the way that kale chips are supposed to be or was the 15 min. bake time from the instructions way too long? For those that make kale chips, how do you do it?

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH