SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

T&T Goat Recipes?

John Liu
10 years ago

The Asian market I usually go to is a small one. They have a thorough section of noodles, dried mushrooms, sauces, condiments, canned goods, candies, Asian vegetables, frozen seafood and dumplings, Chinese soft drinks, and so on.

Their meat selection, by contrast, is bizarre. I believe they get the pieces that mainstream meat cases don't want. There are none of the standard cuts of beef or pork or chicken; instead there is heart, spleen, liver, kidney, shank, tail, belly, necks, feet, neck bone, and the like. I think that is one reason I like buying meat there. It is interesting and challenging to make meals from, well, offal.

Today I noticed they also have packages of goat meat. Not any recognizeable cut, but cubes about 1 inch the side, sometimes with pieces of bone or a skin side.

Whenever I think of goat, the image that pops into my head is the Rolling Stones' Goats Head Soup. That is not so appealing. But I also remember a small restaurant in Los Angeles a long time ago where I used to adore the goat stew. That is appealing.

I want, therefore, to buy the goat cubes and make something. What should I do with it? What are your tried and true goat recipes?

Thanks to the first package I brought home, I know the meat has a full, not gamey, flavour; that the pieces seem to be a random assortment, some rather tender, some quite tough; that some sort of long cooking with likely be necessary.

Comments (17)