SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

chocolate mousse

vacuumfreak
9 years ago

I've not posted much lately... I've not been cooking much! It seems that if I'm not working, I'm quilting. Yesterday, I sacrificed some of my valuable sewing time to get reacquainted with the kitchen. It was rewarding!

I made a pressure cooker pot roast with carrots and red potatoes for dinner.

{{gwi:1524319}}

But, then I needed dessert. I like chocolate mousse and this (I'll link to it below) is a recipe I learned about long ago... It only requires 2 ingredients! It looks great and tastes great and is very easy to make! If you're having a gathering and need a dessert that looks fancy and homemade, but are short on time, this is perfect. I added fresh cherries to mine because I like chocolate and cherries together (and strawberries, and well, anything, I'm sure chocolate is even good on bacon!)...

When I made this years ago, I used to melt the chocolate chips in the microwave. However, a few months ago, my microwave died and I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet. I issued a challenge to myself to see how long I could go before I missed it (and I haven't yet)! Partly because I'm sick of buying a new one every year only to have it die... I can spend 40 bucks or 400 and they still last a year (when a drop of water from a sponge fried the control panel of my last one, a GE convection oven microwave, I nearly needed therapy to get over it... I said never again)... and partly because I like eating a lot of things cold anyway. I have a toaster oven, induction cooker, halogen oven, and gas range, so do I *really* need a microwave too? Nope... I've always been kind of old fashioned, so heating things up the way June Cleaver would have is no bother at all, and I get better results!

But, for melting chocolate or butter, it was really convenient to have a microwave... However, about a year ago, I was gifted a double boiler by Cathy (Mustangs)... I've only used it one other time to make hollandaise sauce. But, I got to employ it again yesterday to melt the the chocolate for this and it worked perfectly! I poured water in the hole in the handle and turned on the fire and couldn't believe how quickly the chocolate melted! No risk of scorching, easy to clean, totally awesome! Thanks again :o) Almost every time I'd melt chocolate in the microwave in the past, I'd burn it... no more!

Melting the chocolate:

{{gwi:1524320}}

Whipping the cream:

{{gwi:1524321}}

Pure heaven!

{{gwi:1524322}}

{{gwi:1524323}}

I don't know if there's a more complicated, authentic, "correct" way to make chocolate mousse or not, but with the recipe, it may never be necessary to find out :o)

I should point out that it looks more "mousse" like after sitting in the fridge for a day... the color and texture are more what you think of as traditional mousse... I took that picture very quickly after making it, before it chilled enough, and it looks a little thin or soupy to me....

Here is a link that might be useful: The recipe...

This post was edited by vacuumfreak on Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 1:35

Comments (12)