Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Few Dishes (pics heavy)

Posted by dcarch (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 5, 12 at 0:36

I made a few dishes based on a few ingredients in recent discussions.

dcarch

Gulf Shrimps with Black Trumpet Mushrooms, Black Garlic, & Black Potatoes.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Drumsticks with Artichoke Stems
Photobucket

Photobucket

Roasted Pork on Jicama
Photobucket

Photobucket

Sausage Flavored Cod on Tofu, with Ginger/Scallion Sauce
Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Few Dishes (pics heavy)

I just love what you did with the artichoke stems! And the jicama reminds me of jelly fish!

o

your dishes are beautiful and terribly creative. do you ever sit down with a pb & j on a napkin, lol? I would love to be served meals that look so pretty.

o

LOL, jae.

That's an interesting use of artichoke stems, I'm glad I saw that. I actually have artichokes growing in the back yard, I started them inside in March. Now if I can keep the blasted squirrels out of them. I fenced them off from the bunnies, now the squirrels are eating them.

I didn't know the stems were cooked and eaten, but I've never grown artichokes so have never had the opportunity to try it. We'll see how they do, I don't know anyone who has ever successfully grown an artichoke in Michigan and I might not have any either, but I'm optimistic!

Annie

o

Jenny, thanks. The juice from cooking the artichoke stems was used in making the drumsticks. The Jicama was very slightly cooked.

jae, thanks. It really takes very little time to plate food. It takes hours from shopping, recipe planning, prep, cook ------ a dish. Those few seconds to pile food on a plate logically is well worth it; you always get the "WOW"!.

Annie those artichokes with long stems are big globe shaped, not the small heart shaped ones. They are twice as big, very tender and meaty.

dcarch

Photobucket

o

The second image makes me think of the BP oil spill in the Gulf. Mmmmm. Shrimp floating near an oil spill surrounded by a few tar balls. Yum. :-)

This is the first time for me when your artful presentation of the food might have detracted from my imagined enjoyment of what sounds like a scrumptious dish.

o

Bob, that is a fascinating comment, and inspiring too.

I have always just pile food on a plate based merely on the ingredients' natural geometry and color, I seldom carve food to look like something else, or to make a sociological statement.

Your comment makes me think that intentional composition can have more dimensions layered on it, such as symbolism, to engage the beholders into more enriching visual experiences.

Thanks for your comment, I appreciate it.

dcarch

o

oh oh, look out. With Bob's comment, and Dcarch's response, I fear he might be on a mission. ;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here