Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again'

Posted by loves2cook4six (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 21, 11 at 0:31

A friend is having a screening of Gone with the Wind. I've never seen it so I am kind of excited that I get to see this classic.

Everyone is bringing part of the meal and I've been asked to bring appetizers to go with the theme. This is supposed to be a very fancy meal, she is going all out with decorations etc, and we've been asked to come in costume if we would like (I may go a Mammy given my African roots)

So far with my online research, I have seen radishes, carrots, biscuits with gravy, but nothing is really striking me as very gourmet.

Any suggestions? Oh, and it's this weekend so not enough time to order elaborate ingredients, like pickled okra, online. And there will be 14 of us.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again'

Chocolate gravy on warm buttered homemade biscuits!

Better still go to with the theme, hoe cake!

A modern jonnycake is made from yellow or white cornmeal that is mixed with salt and hot water or milk, and sometimes sweetened.

o

Sounds like a lot of fun. I remember there being a barbeque in the movie, but I can't remember what they served :-/

o

Sounds like fried chicken is in order!
Joann

o

Country ham and biscuits. They'll be easier to eat than the chocolate biscuits. But, chocolate gravy is good stuff.

I agree with the cornbread idea, hoe cake or not.

There is a Gone with the Wind cookbook. If you can believe it!

Recipe from the book:

Coffee Cake Wheels
1 C. butter
1/2 C. granulated sugar
1/2 tea. salt
2 tbs. grated lemon rind
2 eggs, well beaten
1 compressed yeast cake
1 C. sour cream 4-1/2 C. flour, sifted
1/4 C. butter, melted
1/4 C. brown sugar
3/4 C. seedless raisins
3/4 C. chopped walnut meats
6 tbs. granulated sugar
1-1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Cream butter gradually; add granulated sugar, and cream thoroughly. Add salt, lemon rind, eggs, and yeast cake, which has been dissolved in the sour cream. Blend well. Add flour and mix thoroughly. Cover, and chill in the refrigerator for 3 hours. Remove from refrigerator and let rise for 1-1/2 hours. Then roll dough on a lightly floured board to about 1/4 inch thickness. Cover bottom of 9" x 12" pan with melted butter and brown sugar. Spread the surface of the dough with the remaining ingredients, which have been mixed together. Cut crosswise into slices 3/4 inch thick. Arrange slices on top of butter and brown sugar mixture. Cover with clean cloth and let rise in warm place (75 to 85 degrees F.) about 1/2 hour, or until light. Bake in moderately hot oven (375 degrees F) 35 minutes. Serve warm. Makes 20 coffeecake wheels.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gone with the Wind cookbook

o

Claritha's Fried Chicken Wings! It's a three day recipe, because of the soaking/waiting time. These wings, though...They're GOOD!

Here is a link that might be useful: Claritha's Fried Chicken Wings

o

Can't believe you have never seen that movie!!!
Appetizers eh? How about a bow to "southern biscuits" and and do small cheese bites....made with biscuit dough?

Appetizer mini Sausage Muffins
1/2 pound pork sausage
1/3 cup chopped green onions
1 6 ounce package or 3/4 cup biscuit mix (Such as Bisquick or Jiffy)
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup (2 oz) finely shredded cheddar cheese
Cook sausage and green onions in a skillet over medium heat until sausage
is browned. Drain and make sure the sausage is crumbled well. Combine
biscuit mix, dry mustard, and red pepper; stir in milk, just until
moistened. Stir in sausage mixture and cheese(mixture will be thick). Spoon
into greased miniature (1 3/4 inch) muffin pans, filling two-thirds full.
Bake at 400 degrees for 12-14 minutes or until muffins are golden. Remove
from pans immediately; serve warm. Yield: 2 1/2 dozen

o

You're looking for appetizer ideas, yes? Well... Georgia is famous for peaches & peanuts. So I'd go with something with at least one of those ingredients. I googled gone with the wind appetizers and found this recipe which sounded like it might be really good.

Spicy Peach Cream Cheese Dip

16 oz. cream cheese, softened.
½ cup peach preserves.
1 tbsp jalapeno slices, minced (bottled).
1 tbsp fresh jalapeno, minced, seeds removed.
1 tbsp onion, minced.

Combine all ingredients, mix until creamy. Chill for one hour, allowing flavors to blend. Serve with assorted crackers and chips.

o

Well, GWTW was set during the Civil War, when there were horrible food shortages and few families could afford me. Staples were cornbread, sorghum and field peas. I'm assuming you don't want to be that authentic, LOL.

I agree with the hoe cakes, or maybe hush puppies, if you could find a way to keep them hot and/or reheat them. I agree with rob on the chocolate gravy, it's good but messy. Small two bite southern biscuits with country ham would be easier to handle.

Annie

o

I remember the barbeque in the book - it happened in the first or second chapter, I think. Scarlet was forced to have an entire lunch as an appetizer before the party so that she would not have an appetite at the barbeque and therefore "eat like a bird" in front of the men, which was somehow supposed to be attractive to them. She did have her corset laced up first, however, which should have been enough to keep her from overeating. Scarlet's pre-barbeque meal is described in detail in the book, but I do not remember a detailed description of what was served at the barbeque. The only things I remember from the lunch were biscuits and gravy. I think there was chicken also.

Mammy was by far my favorite character in the book, but I also liked Rhett Butler and Belle Whatling. Some of the characters (like Melanie and Mrs. O'Hara) were too saintly and some (like Scarlet) were just too mean. I thought Mammy was the wisest character and made the most sense.

I hope you have an intermission during the movie!

Lars

o

Deviled eggs, chow chow in biscuit cups, little pork bbq sandwiches, little pimento cheese sandwiches, smoked trout dip, anything fried chicken (with peach salsa?)

When I think of GWTW food, I think of Rhett entertaining and of course, the big opening bbq. Not Scarlett being hungry.

Oh, and anything with game, if you can get it. Smoked quail eggs.

o

I think I would take a little creative license and make a dirt cake.

Here is a link that might be useful: dirt cake

o

Right before she uttered that famous line, she was eating radishes that she had just pulled from the ground. Wasn't there a whole thread here a while ago about Radish Sandwiches, and how all they needed was good Bread, good Butter and a little Salt and Pepper? I'd make Radish Cocktail Sandwiches.

Steve

o

Mint Juleps. That's the only "food thing" I remember from the many times I've seen the movie!

I've made these and they are very good.

Corn Bread Bites

This recipe also makes a dozen muffins in a standard muffin tin; bake 17 minutes or until golden brown. You also can double the recipe and freeze the extra muffins for up to one month. If you do this, prepare the muffins in two batches so the baking powder doesn't lose its effectiveness while the extra batter waits for the first batch to be turned out of the pans.

Ingredients
2/3 cup all-purpose flour (about 3 ounces)
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
1 (8 3/4-ounce) can cream-style corn
Dash of hot sauce
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Cooking spray
Preparation
Preheat oven to 375�.

Lightly spoon the flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl. Combine cheese and remaining ingredients except cooking spray in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened.

Divide batter evenly among miniature muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375� for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in cups 2 minutes on wire racks; remove from pans. Cool completely on wire racks.

Nutritional Information

Amount per serving
Calories: 108
Calories from fat: 28%
Fat: 3.4g
Saturated fat: 1.9g
Monounsaturated fat: 0.5g
Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
Protein: 3.7g
Carbohydrate: 15.5g
Fiber: 0.8g
Cholesterol: 28mg
Iron: 0.8mg
Sodium: 221mg
Calcium: 89mg

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
Cooking Light OCTOBER 2007

Linda

o

I posted a very good home made pimento cheese recipe some time back. That recipe came from Southern Living and it is as southern as one can get. The Atlanta locals loved it, and requested (well, maybe demanded is a better word) it whenever we had a neighborhood get together.

o

You might want to browse the menu of Mary Macs Tea Room for Southern specialties.

o

The way this thread is going, I was going to suggest Monell's menu in Nashville. Everyone from everyone where loves that southern food!

o

To be really authentic, serve the foods that the South always relied on in very hard times: pig (pork), corn, greens, and maybe eggs. You could make a platter of deviled eggs, corn muffins with cooked bacon bits added, country ham biscuits, any spread recipe with spinach, or pimento cheese with homemade crackers.

Teresa, who always prefers to think about such things "tomorrow" - for tomorrow is another day!

o

the whole book wasn't about the hard times during the War.....there were elegant parties after the war, after Scarlett nabbed Rhett, and remember how they doted on their daughter and how darling she was dressed to the nines riding her pony.....before..
Oh but I better not tell!
Linda C

o

but you just did!

o

Rhett:
And you, miss, are no lady... Don't think that I hold that against you. Ladies have never held any charm for me

swoony kinda guy. You're gonna love it, L2C4S!

o

I used to drive by Culver Studios on Washington Blvd in Culver City every day going to work and coming home, and it would always remind me of GWTW. Now I work in Inglewood and drive by Randy's Doughnuts every day.

I believe Rhett took Scarlett to New Orleans (or was it Charleston?) on their honeymoon, and they had French food, which would be another option.

I assume the party is to celebrate the 75th birthday of the book, which occurs on June 30 this year.

Lars

Here is a link that might be useful: GWTW food

o

Posted by publickman "-----I believe Rhett took Scarlett to New Orleans (or was it Charleston?) on their honeymoon, and they had French food, which would be another option. --"

Sure, Scarlett O'Hara's parents were French and Irish.

GWTW is more about romance, love, war, history, ---- not so much about food. I think there is quite a bit of latitude as to what kind of food would be appropriate.

GWTW is a famous movie. Adjusted for inflation, it is the highest grossing movie made. It has been dubbed in many languages. I don't remember if there is a famous song from the movie, but the theme music, Tara's (the plantation) Theme was make into a song "My Own True Love". There are a few French versions of the song " L'amour Viendra", "Ma Vie San Toi", etc.

dcarch

Here is a link that might be useful: My Own True Love

o

You've been asked to bring appetizers....I can't think of anything more Southern than home-made pimiento spread. You can pair it with crackers or veggies, stuff some celery with it....The test of a Southern woman's cooking skills, as I hear it from old Southern friends, is the quality of her homemade pimiento spread.

Sounds like a super party!

o

That party sounds like fun!

Even though the "I'll never be hungry again" line is one of the movie's most famous, food was not as much of a theme in a movie as it was it the book. Margaret Mitchell used food as a major theme in the book to contrast "before the war" and "after the war".

On a plantation with hundreds of people to feed every day there are many descriptions of the bounty of food before the war. There were far more options on the table than the family could eat "so that everyone could have their favorites".

Annie's description of what was available after the war is right on: dried peas - with a little bacon if they were lucky! A lot of the "ladies" died slowly of malnutrition and starvation after the war.

Here's a blackeyed pea salad from The Neely's:

Ingredients
1 large tomato, diced
1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 jalapeno, finely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped green onions
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
1/4 cup unseasoned rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 teaspoon sugar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 (15-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained
Directions
Combine the first 6 ingredients in a bowl.

In a separate small bowl, whisk together the rice wine vinegar, canola oil, sugar, and salt and pepper.

Toss all together and let marinate for at up to 8 hours in the refrigerator before serving.

o

You could go as Prissy, wear a simple cotton dress with a white scarf tied around your shoulders and a "mammy" headscarf tied over your hair. Be sure to wear a name tag that says "Hello, I'm Prissy and I don't know nothin' about birthin' no babies!"

o

Teresa, that was one of my favorite parts in the movie, along with "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn".

I know when I was a teenager, watching the movies then, I'd point out an actor to Grandma and say "Isn't he handsome?". Her reply was always the same: "Well, he's OK, but he's no Clark Gable". :-)

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here