Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
For those interested, sous vide circulator 2 for $249

Posted by dcarch (My Page) on
Sat, May 17, 14 at 23:04

A new maker Anova is pre-selling an interesting sous vide circulator, two units for $249.

It's a new maker, already sold over 7,000 units.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/anova/anova-precision-cooker-cook-sous-vide-with-your-ip

disclaimer: I have nothing to do with Anova

dcarch

Here is a link that might be useful: Anova

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: For those interested, sous vide circulator 2 for $249

Thanks, Dcarch

Really interesting. Gotta see if I have a friend who would be interested. Or I just may go on and order and have a spare as a gift.
Perfect for fixing eggs and other small items that I hate to drag out the Sous Vide Supreme to do.
Anova's $200 version is very highly rated on Amazon. This promises to be a real winner.

I like that the minimum immersion depth is only 3 inches or so. As I said, perfect for eggs. And who knows what else.

o

As I have said, a lot of excitement in the cooking world with these less than $200 sous vide units. They sold over 7000 units in a very short time. There are a few other makers selling over 10000 units recently.

Yes it's great for eggs. Recently I sous vide pasteurized eggs for making carbonara and lilac ice cream. Perfect control!

dcarch

o

They have what seems to be the same offer for $239 as well. It's the pasteurization thing, which you've mentioned before, that gets me. :) Generally, one doesn't want the first units off the line, though...

o

I also made clotted cream, at exactly 182F.

Made scallops yesterday. At $22 a lb, I refuse to cook them at higher than 125F. Very nice indeed!:-)

dcarch

o

Cream! Oh, boy! I wonder how it would work for cheesemaking? I'm thinking even if it weren't set up for sous vide, but just had the milk in a bowl in a larger pot with the water circulating around it, it would be a more reliable way to get a precise temperature... Have to be careful it doesn't capsize though... I'm thinking maybe I need to get in on this. :)

New thought! I wonder if I could find an old beverage cooler on Craig's List that would make a good cheese cave. :) I just thought of that now. It's the right temperature range...

o

"---New thought! I wonder if I could find an old beverage cooler on Craig's List that would make a good cheese cave.---"

Using a $20 PID temperature controller, a 50W light bulb, a $10 fan, and a beer cooler, you can reliably:

Make Cheese
Make yogurt
proof bread dough
hatch chickens
etc.

dcarch

o

I can do all those things except the chicks in my kitchen without the gizmos. :) Actually, I could probably hatch the chicks in my kitchen, too, but I'm not going to!

By beverage cooler, I meant one of those small fridges that are supposed to keep all kinds of beverages but really keep wine too cold and soda too warm. :) It might be great for aging cheese in--50° F--if it's not too humid. And I suppose I could control that with some kind of moisture wick. I could put my hygrometer in there to be sure. :)

I seem to be terrible with thermometers and probes. I can never figure out where to put one in a bird, and even when I'm following directions perfectly, the number doesn't match up with what it's supposed to be. I have much better luck cooking by time. :) Pots of liquid are easier, but still awkward. I can do the cheese, but getting the temperature just right is a hassle. I thought consistently controlling the temperature of a water bath and just adjusting until the milk is the right temperature would be so much easier since my stove controls power rather than temperature.

o

Using a $20 PID temperature controller, a 50W light bulb, a $10 fan, and a beer cooler, you can reliably:

Make Cheese
Make yogurt
proof bread dough
hatch chickens

Hopefully not at the same time. Otherwise the chicks will eat your cheese, poop in your yogurt, and sleep on the soft poofy bread dough. :-)

o

If I'm reading this correctly, they won't be available till October. Still, for $125 each that's a good discount over the expected MSRP of $169.

o

"If I'm reading this correctly, they won't be available till October.---"

In time for fantastic Thanksgiving dishes. :-)

"---Hopefully not at the same time. Otherwise the chicks will eat your cheese, poop in your yogurt, and sleep on the soft poofy bread dough. :-)"

LOL!

dcarch

o

ROTFL!!! Poor chicks! The dough I've been making is awfully sticky and damp. They'd love the warmth then get their fluffy down all nasty, and they wouldn't be able to get out when the dough deflates in their struggle. :( That makes me sad. I think we should at least par bake the dough before offering it up as a chick bed...

o

Apparently Bob isn't the only one who thinks bread would make a good chick bed: Rustic Whole-Wheat Pillows -- Scroll down past the first three pictures, a couple lines below the title. :)

Edit: poor word choice.

This post was edited by plllog on Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 2:45

o

Great minds . . .

(Before I open the chicken coops in the morning, I always announce my presence by saying, "Just us, chickens." Commas do matter.)

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 8:58

o

Thanks, dcarch, for the tip. I decided to spring for the two/$249 - I know at least two people who would love to receive this as a gift in case I decide I only need one!

October sounds good to me. It's too hot in my kitchen to cook until mid-October anyway, LOL. Dry sunny weather and post-menopausal hot flashes just don't go well together in a home that doesn't have air conditioning.....

o

I just had a lightbulb moment! I decided to go for it in May for the milk and eggs, but after overindulging in luscious almond duck, and thinking how sad it was that there were meats I couldn't serve at my apps party, like almond duck, because of the prep/production schedule... LIGHTBULB! Sous vide! Cook and hold at constant temperature. Never overdone. And I have two coming... mostly because it was fun participating in their kickstarter campaign, even though I had saved Arley's DIY instructions.

Okay. Sometimes I'm slow. I get it now. :)

I bet I could even cook the chicken drummettes that way, then just coat them and flash fry. That would be so much easier than fry cooking that many, and they could go straight out, rather than taking oven space.

Okay. Revolutionary. I get it... And I can still pasteurize eggs...

o

That's what the "water oven" (sous vide) can do.

1. take drummettes out from freezer.
2. put them in bag with seasoning, no thawing.
3. set water temperature (145F?) and cook.
4. Time when you want to serve and finish bake or fry. Never a need to check internal temperature, because the temperature will always be at 145F.

dcarch

o

Thanks! I hadn't even considered the straight from the freezer thing. Ultra cool!

So, I'm catching on... :)

o

"Thanks! I hadn't even considered the straight from the freezer thing. Ultra cool!
So, I'm catching on... :)"

You know around Thanksgiving time, they are practically giving away turkeys. I would buy a few, to freeze. Then sous vide the whole bird frozen to get perfect meat for sandwiches and such. Much safer than thawing in the fridge for a few days.

Yes, the giblets would be inside in the turkey, in a paper sack, cooked. :-)

dcarch

o

Hm... I don't know about that one... I'm very picky about my turkeys, and I've never seen them on sale. People always ask me what my secret is for making a great turkey, and my reply is you get what you pay for, number one being free range. A healthy, happy turkey and it tastes better.

So, why don't you do up a few turkey bowling discount birds and let me know how they taste?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here