Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking Forward To......

Posted by moonwolf (My Page) on
Fri, May 25, 12 at 22:19

Hi everyone,

This summer, I shall be cooking a meal for my sister, her boyfriend, my nieces and nephew and possibly our one cousin. We finally decided on the menu Take a look and let your mouths water and your minds to dream away!

Lemonade
Fried Green Tomatoes with Vidalia Onion Dressing
BLFGT's
Louisiana Crab Stuffed Potatoes (baked) (The recipe only makes four, so I'll have to figure out how to increase it to six or seven).
Corn On The Cob
Vanilla Ice Cream with Old Southern Praline Sauce

Have a great Memorial Day, everyone!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking Forward To......

What a great brother you are Brad!

o

That sounds like a wonderful, celebration meal!

o

I agree, Brad, is sounds delicious, especially the fried green tomatoes.

Well, that and your Gram's lemonade....

Annie

o

OK, I missed it, but explain BLFGT's. No matter, it all sounds wonderful.

Brad, you can come and visit (and cook) here any time!

o

Bacon Lettuce Fried Green Tomato ?

o

Thank you everyone!

I'm thinking if all goes well, I won't be making this meal until July sometime when we have tomatoes on the vine. My nephew and my youngest niece are picky eaters, but we'll see when I cook this meal for them lol.

Annie, LOL Gram's Lemonade goes well with any meal :-). Remember, I make it now with freshly squeezed orange juice added to it. I think why it was so sour lately is because the lemons aren't fresh. My gram says if you can't smell them, don't use them!

Sushipup, Compumom hit the nail right on the head! A BLFGT is a Bacon, Lettuce and Fried Green Tomato sandwich. It's my most favorite sandwich that I have ever eaten and oh so good with the Vidalia Onion Dressing. Also, thank you for the invite! Maybe someday I'll get out of here and see the country.

Oh, and if anyone wants recipes for these, I'll be glad to post them! Just let me know!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Louisiana Crab Stuffed Potatoes, OH that sounds good! Would love the recipe.

o

Okay! Here is the recipe for the Louisiana Crab Stuffed Potatoes!

Louisiana Crab Stuffed Potatoes

4 medium Idaho potatoes
1 6 1/2 ounce can crab meat
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup light cream
1 tsp. salt
4 tsps. grated onion
1 cup sharp cheese, grated
1/2 tsp. paprika

Bake potatoes as usual-until fork can pierce them. Cut potatoes lengthwise and scoop out of peeling. Whip with butter, cream, salt, pepper, onion and cheese. With fork, add crab meat and refill potato shells. Sprinkle with paprika and reheat in oven for 15 minutes. Note: These can be frozen.

I got this from an old cookbook mom has. I've never had these but they sound really good.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Just double the recipe for the stuffed potatoes, then you'll have one or two left over. Pass out hunting knives and have a fight to the death for the spares :-) J/K
Don't reheat the spares, save them for the next day when your visitors have gone home :-)

o

BLFGT- love it!

o

OH Brad, these stuffed potatoes sound soooo good. I am having lots of company over the summer (because I live very close to the beach) and I will definitely try these. Sounds like I could serve them with anything seafood related. Thank you so much for the recipe. Hope you have a wonderful summer. Good luck with your meal, sounds awesome!!!

o

Mmmmm... everything sounds wonderful! Would you please share your FGT and Vidalia Onion Dressing recipes? DH and I love FGTs but I've never found a satisfying recipe. TIA!

o

Colleenoz, LOL I love that idea. I don't know what I was thinking about doubling the recipe, since each person would get half a potato. There'll be enough for everyone! Problem solved!

Caminnc, I hope the potatoes turn out great for you and may there be no leftovers on those :-).

Here are the recipes! Enjoy!

Fried Green Tomatoes (NOTE: I took two recipes and combined them). Mom and I have used the recipe that was on the box of Whistle Stop Fried Green Tomato Batter, which you just mix the dry batter with water and dip the salted tomatoes into it).

Firm, Green Tomatoes
Flour
White Cornmeal
Beaten Eggs (you can also use milk; Paula Deen used eggs and buttermilk for hers)
Salt and Pepper

Slice tomatoes about 1/4 inch thick. Spread onto plate or baking sheet. Sprinkle salt evenly over tomatoes. Continue placing tomato slices layer over previous layer, until all tomatoes have been salted. Let tomatoes set for 6 hours (Optional; NOTE: We have let them set for about 10 minutes while heating the skillet and they turned out fine) to draw out the water. Remove from container (refrigerated or set out on counter). Mix flour, corn meal, salt and pepper in a bowl. Dip tomatoes in flour, then into eggs or milk, and coat again with flour mix. Set tomatoes aside (up to 30 minutes if you're not in a hurry). Heat oiled skillet over medium heat. Place tomatoes in oil, reducing heat when neccessary. Fry both sides until golden brown, and let tomatoes drain on paper towels. Serve hot with Vidalia Onion Dressing if desired.

Vidalia Onion Dressing

1 cup onions, diced
2 Tablespoons rice (or red) wine vinegar
1/2 cup mayo
1 Tablespoon brown sugar

Mix all ingredients together and let chill. Serve over Fried Green Tomatoes. NOTE: This also makes a good cole slaw dressing.

Enjoy!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Thank you! I can't wait until my tomatoes come in and I can try this!

o

You're welcome flwrs n co! Two corrections, Paula Deen didn't use eggs in her recipe, just flour and buttermilk and the dressing (also Paula's), is called Vidalia Onion Relish.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here