SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

CSA - how much should I expect?

bbstx
11 years ago

For the first time, I've bought a CSA share. We have only had 2 weeks of vegetables, but I am so disappointed in the quantity. It is supposed to be enough for a family of 4...it might be if 2 of the 4 weren't yet old enough for solid food.

For example, this week we got 5 fingerling sweet potatoes, 2 ping-pong ball size turnips and 2 ping-pong ball sized beets, 6 baby carrots, about a dozen radishes that were the size of shelled-peanuts, about a dozen baby carrots, maybe a half-dozen baby patty pan squash (ping pong size), some kale, about 6 spring onions and 1 gallon size bag of salad greens, and 1/2 gallon size bag of red frisee.

Last week, we got one head of napa cabbage; about a dozen carrots, a dozen tiny beets, a dozen baby turnips, some kale, some chard,about 6 spring onions, a 1 gallon bag of baby lettuce, and a handful of flat parsley.

Before I start fussing at the farm owner, is this a normal amount for a CSA share? My only semi-experience with a CSA was a friend who got theirs in a Rubbermaid tote each week! Ours fits in one small, re-usable grocery tote (not the Ikea-size...much smaller)!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!