Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More Awesome Cooking News!

Posted by moonwolf (My Page) on
Wed, May 9, 12 at 21:50

Hi everyone,

Today, my gram (the same one as always LOL), gave me an old cast iron skillet of hers that she doesn't use anymore. It's smaller than the one I bought from Wal-Mart, but I love it!

We'll also be getting a new stove! One with the flat burners, to replace our old electric type. I will let everyone know when it gets here. I had only one problem with it, but I think I found the solution. My canner only can be used on electric or gas stoves, but, would a deep stock pot with a rack formed from jar bands or an old cake/cooling rack would do the trick?

The final bit of good news is, tomorrow for supper, we'll be having the Oven Baked Pork Chops With Hash Browns. I'll share pictures!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More Awesome Cooking News!

Pork Chops sound really good Brad.

I canned for years with a soup pot and a dish towel in the bottom. The dish towel would float up until I got jars on top of it, LOL, and a rack would work a LOT better. Any pot will work for canning as long as it's deep enough to get a couple of inches of water over top of the jars.

I have a gas stove, I think you're talking about the smooth topped electric stoves, and I don't have any experience with that, but a new stove is usually pretty much always a great thing.

Happy cooking, and canning. Old cast iron is the best stuff, way better than the new stuff usually. Hug your Gram extra hard for that pan!

Annie

o

Hi Annie,

Yes those are the stoves I'm talking about! :-). LOL I heard people had that problem when they would use a dish towel in place of a canning rack. I, sadly, haven't done much canning and mom doesn't care for it LOL. So I just might give my canner to my sister and her family and I can help them do it whenever they want. I found a couple of canning recipes that I'd think she'd like: Strawberry Jam and Watermelon Jelly!

Oh I gave her a big old hug (we all did actually LOL) when I saw her today. It was a nice afternoon.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Congratulations on the "new" skillet, Brad! I love having multiple sizes of those.

As for the canner, I use mine on my smooth surface stove and have never had any trouble. I even called the manufacturer of my stove before I tried it, and they said I could do it with no problem :)

o

Hi slowlane,

Thank you! I may not use them for a while since I read cast iron on glass stoves is not recommended. I am thrilled to hear the news about the canner! Our new one is a Frigidare. It'll be here Wednesday afternoon! :-)

Speaking of canning, I'm going to have to talk to my sister and see if she's interested in canning. I have been looking over/gathering some recipes for her that I'd think she'd like. I have Strawberry Jam, Blueberry Jam, Blackberry Jam, Watermelon Jelly, Bread and Butter Pickles, Dill Pickles, and Piccalilli or Green Tomato Relish.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

I use cast iron on my smooth top stove all the time. Not a problem for cooking or for scratching up the surface. It's all good here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here