SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bob_cville

Jamaican Jambalaya

bob_cville
9 years ago

I was supposed to go to a potluck on Wednesday evening, I had shrimp, plantains, a red bell pepper, and some locally made sausage. I searched for recipes containing those ingredients but had no luck, and I decided to wing it.

Unfortunately I got off work too late to make it for Wednesday, and instead made it last night. It turned out really well. It has a lot in common with jambalaya or moqueca (a Brazilian fish stew) and so I it should be called: Jamaican Jambalaya (which sounds better than the other name I thought of for it: Meaty Moqueca)

Jamaican Jambalaya

1 lb Small Raw Shrimp (peeled)
1/2 lb Smoked Sausage (sliced)
1/2 lb Fresh Pork Sausage (sliced)
1/2 lb Firm Fish (like swordfish) (cubed)
2 Tbsp Lime Juice
2 Medium Sweet Onions (chopped)
2 Ripe (black) Plantain (quartered lengthwise, slice 1/4 thick)
1 Red Bell Pepper (chopped 3/4" pieces)
2 Medium Sweet Potato (quartered lengthwise, slice 1/4 thick)
1 15oz can Diced Tomatoes
2 tsp Crushed Garlic
2 tsp Jamaican Curry Powder
1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1/8 tsp Black Pepper
3 Tbsp Oil
1 Tbsp Dende Oil (red palm oil)
1 Tbsp Parsley
2 15oz can Coconut Milk
2 cups white rice

Separate the coconut cream from the coconut water. Use the coconut water in place of some of the water to cook the rice. Start cooking rice.

Peel shrimp and place in bowl and cover with 1 Tbsp lime juice and black pepper.

Place cubed fish in bowl, and cover with 1Tbsp lime juice and black pepper.

Add 1 Tbsp oil to large pan, cook sweet potato over medium heat until lightly browned and softened, remove from pan and set aside, in covered bowl.

Next add another Tbsp oil and cook plantain until it is lightly browned, remove from pan and set aside.

Next add third Tbsp oil and cook smoked sausage, sausage, onion and bell pepper over medium heat until onion is softened and translucent. Add curry powder, cayenne pepper, and garlic cook for another minute or so.

Add dende oil in center on pan, stir in. Add diced tomatoes, including juice.

Next add the sweet potato, coconut cream, and parsley, stir well, reduce heat to simmer and cook about 10 minutes. Add fish and plantain, simmer for another 5-10 minutes. Add shrimp (and the lime juice) stir until shrimp becomes opaque.

Either mix rice together with jambalaya, or serve rice and jambalaya separately.

This post was edited by bob_cville on Sun, May 11, 14 at 22:09

Comments (9)