Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jamaican Jambalaya

Posted by bob_cville (My Page) on
Fri, May 2, 14 at 21:28

I was supposed to go to a potluck on Wednesday evening, I had shrimp, plantains, a red bell pepper, and some locally made sausage. I searched for recipes containing those ingredients but had no luck, and I decided to wing it.

Unfortunately I got off work too late to make it for Wednesday, and instead made it last night. It turned out really well. It has a lot in common with jambalaya or moqueca (a Brazilian fish stew) and so I it should be called: Jamaican Jambalaya (which sounds better than the other name I thought of for it: Meaty Moqueca)

Jamaican Jambalaya

1 lb Small Raw Shrimp (peeled)
1/2 lb Smoked Sausage (sliced)
1/2 lb Fresh Pork Sausage (sliced)
1/2 lb Firm Fish (like swordfish) (cubed)
2 Tbsp Lime Juice
2 Medium Sweet Onions (chopped)
2 Ripe (black) Plantain (quartered lengthwise, slice 1/4 thick)
1 Red Bell Pepper (chopped 3/4" pieces)
2 Medium Sweet Potato (quartered lengthwise, slice 1/4 thick)
1 15oz can Diced Tomatoes
2 tsp Crushed Garlic
2 tsp Jamaican Curry Powder
1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1/8 tsp Black Pepper
3 Tbsp Oil
1 Tbsp Dende Oil (red palm oil)
1 Tbsp Parsley
2 15oz can Coconut Milk
2 cups white rice

Separate the coconut cream from the coconut water. Use the coconut water in place of some of the water to cook the rice. Start cooking rice.

Peel shrimp and place in bowl and cover with 1 Tbsp lime juice and black pepper.

Place cubed fish in bowl, and cover with 1Tbsp lime juice and black pepper.

Add 1 Tbsp oil to large pan, cook sweet potato over medium heat until lightly browned and softened, remove from pan and set aside, in covered bowl.

Next add another Tbsp oil and cook plantain until it is lightly browned, remove from pan and set aside.

Next add third Tbsp oil and cook smoked sausage, sausage, onion and bell pepper over medium heat until onion is softened and translucent. Add curry powder, cayenne pepper, and garlic cook for another minute or so.

Add dende oil in center on pan, stir in. Add diced tomatoes, including juice.

Next add the sweet potato, coconut cream, and parsley, stir well, reduce heat to simmer and cook about 10 minutes. Add fish and plantain, simmer for another 5-10 minutes. Add shrimp (and the lime juice) stir until shrimp becomes opaque.

Either mix rice together with jambalaya, or serve rice and jambalaya separately.

This post was edited by bob_cville on Sun, May 11, 14 at 22:09

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jamaican Jambalaya

That sounds like a very tasty recipe. I think I will try to make it.

For my taste, I probably add 1 teaspoon sugar, i more TBSP lime juice and 1/4 cup red wine.

dcarch

o

double post deleted.

dcarch

This post was edited by dcarch on Sat, May 3, 14 at 11:22

o

I remembered that I took a picture just before adding the rice.

This post was edited by bob_cville on Sun, May 4, 14 at 11:14

o

We had friends visiting this weekend, so a made this dish for them, following the recipe to see whether it works. I mostly followed the recipe, but I used more sweet potato and plantain, and the recipe was seeming too dry, so I added the water from the canned tomato, and then a second can of coconut milk.

The guests simply loved the dish. I've edited the recipe above to reflect the changes I made for this second iteration of making this dish.

o

Bob, that looks very interesting, Elery would love the stuff, and I could keep the spices to a minimum, I think, and still keep the flavor.

Thanks for the recipe, I just might have to try this!

Annie

o

This sounds like something DH would like too. Is the red palm oil essential? I would prefer to use an oil that was already in the pantry.

o

I love this recipe and thank you very much for the plain writing and thinking. I will try this when I get home. I had delicious tom kha gai tonite, which is a similar Thai curry. I wonder How does Jamaican curry differ from the usual Thai, trader joes curry powder?

I do have a couple of curry powders and at least one jar of curry paste. I have most of the ingredients of curry powder, individually. So I am using great restraint not to go to the kitchen and attack the leftovers. Thanks.

I think I have little cans or jars of curry paste,red yellow, and green and whatever.

o

I love this recipe and thank you very much for the plain writing and thinking. I will try this when I get home. I had delicious tom kha gai tonite, which is a similar Thai curry. I wonder How does Jamaican curry differ from the usual Thai, trader joes curry powder?

I do have a couple of curry powders and at least one jar of curry paste. I have most of the ingredients of curry powder, individually. So I am using great restraint not to go to the kitchen and attack the leftovers. Thanks.

I think I have little cans or jars of curry paste,red yellow, and green and whatever.

o

The Jamaican Curry Powder ingredients are:

turmeric, whole wheat, coriander, fenugreek, salt, cumin, allspice, pepper, garlic.

Actually in making this the second time, because one of our guests is allergic to wheat, I used a red curry powder (red pepper, chili pepper, turmeric, jalapeno pepper, garlic, onion, paprika) and added cumin and coriander. I'm glad I thought to read the label before adding the Jamaican Curry Powder.

Also regarding the red palm oil, I don't really think it is necessary. I bought it as "necessary ingredient' for a Brazilian dish, Moqueca, but in making that dish with and without it I couldn't really tell, and would hardly say it is necessary. Now that I have it though I look for excuses to use it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here