SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cookie8_gw

Grainlady....potatoes

cookie8
9 years ago

I remember in a post you mentioned something about cold potatoes and starch resistance. I have also read something about this. Do you, by chance, know if it applies if you cook the potatoes, cool them and then reheat as hash browns or something? Is it about the heat changing the chemical reaction? If just cooling them makes them easier to digest for some, does the reheating take that away? Just curious as I am trying my hardest on eliminating nightshades and have them occasionally but want it to be as safe as possible. Thanks.

Comments (6)

• grainlady_ks
    9 years ago

It is my understanding the cooked and cooled potatoes should NOT be reheated in order to maintain the resistant starch. The resistant starch "escapes" or "resists" digestion in the small intestine and is digested in the large intestine where it is treated more like fiber than a starch. It's not a chemical reaction, it's a starch reaction, which affects the blood glucose.

There are pasta products being made with resistant starch and the product is resistant to any changes from heat, and can be consumed hot. Adding potato starch to mashed potatoes offers the same benefits. Perhaps adding hi-maize resistant starch or potato starch to hash browns would do the same thing (just speculating).

However, this doesn't help with the nightshade issue, but the glucose issue associated with potatoes. I'd suggest looking at recipes using cauliflower as a potato substitute. You can make cauliflower hash browns, mashed cauliflower, and cauliflower "potato" salad. You can also make sweet potato hash browns since sweet potatoes are not a nightshade plant. If you want a new twist to potato salad, try Martha Stewart's recipe for Chilled Sweet Potato Salad (linked below.)

Low-carb cooks have made cauliflower a great substitute for potatoes, if you've never given cauliflower a try. Dana Carpender's Low-Carb Cookbooks have a number of recipes in them, and you can find many of her recipes on-line.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Martha Stewart - Chilled Sweet Potato Salad

• cookie8
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. See, I am a complete addict looking to keep them in my diet at all costs. I will play around as I can usually tell how I feel within two hours of consumption. I just wish I knew if this nightshade thing was a genetic thing or something you grow into due to underlying gluten intolerance....this is for my kids and if they should be consuming them. They are young but I want to refrain them from reactive foods too.

• grainlady_ks
    9 years ago

"Complete addict" may have more relevance than you think. I read in the article linked below, all nightshades contain nicotine, which is why they can be addictive. If you haven't already come across the Weston A. Price information about nightshades, you my find it pretty interesting. -Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Weston A. Price - Nightshades

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    9 years ago

Nice recipe. I have been making similar with sweet potatoes, roasted cauliflower and asparagus. -Note that sweet potatoes cook much quicker than white potatoes.
    I use my frozen grated meyer lemons in the dressing. Fresh herbs now perking up in the garden. Thyme and rosemary. Chives.
    My dad and sister avoid night-shade. Not difficult to cook around it.
    I sort of enjoy the challenge with combinations of veg and flavors.

• cookie8
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. Yes, we certainly make use of sweet potatoes here. Okay, now embarrassed with my useless body but cauliflower is another iffy one for me. I think I will drop the nightshades for a full two weeks just to see. No cheats with spices either. Wow, sleevendog, lucky your family so easily dropped them. They are harder to give up than gluten products were....must be the nicotine. Thanks for the article, BTW, Grainlady.

• grainlady_ks
    9 years ago

I dug through an old file (2000) with this hand-written note:

When potatoes are cooked, then cooled, resistant starch forms tight crystals. The crystals are broken up when the potato is reheated. In order to get the benefits the food must be cold.

To lower the starch even more use immature "new" red potatoes or fingerlings. The starch hasn't fully developed in these potatoes.

-Grainlady