Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another clueless meat question

Posted by ynnej (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 12 at 20:52

Hello everybody. I have another question about cooking meat- this time, chicken. I would like to make this recipe for baked honey mustard chicken for my husband and kids tonight but am wondering what a good amount of salt and pepper would be, as it says 'to taste.' It calls for the salt and pepper to be sprinkled on before mixing the other ingredients together and pouring them over the chicken. Here is the recipe, thanks in advance.

Ingredients
6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup prepared mustard
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and pepper to taste, and place in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish. In a small bowl, combine the honey, mustard, basil, paprika, and parsley. Mix well. Pour 1/2 of this mixture over the chicken, and brush to cover.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Turn chicken pieces over and brush with the remaining 1/2 of the honey mustard mixture. Bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.

Here is a link that might be useful: recipe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another clueless meat question

Not a silly question.
Do you use salt and pepper to season food on your plate normally? If so, I would just sprinkle as you would at serving time. If not, I'd suggest going pretty light, maybe 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper for all the chicken.
You can always add more later.....you can't take it back!

If you aren't used to eating those flavors, they are going to stand out more.

Let us know how it turns out!
Deanna

o

Skip the salt....you can add any as you see fit after it's plated and people taste it....as for pepper....
Do you have a grinder for fresh pepper? if so....do one revolution of the grinder on each piece of chicken.
When you fry an egg....how much salt do you put on? How much salt do you put on an ear of corn?
That's the amount I would do on each piece of chicken....but if in doubt....don't add any...let people add their own.
Linda C

o

I agree with LindaC, there are already flavors there, I wouldn't salt it at all. I'd let the people who are eating it salt the pieces individually to taste.

Frankly, I don't think I'd put any salt on it if I were eating it either, it already has mustard, honey, basil, paprika. I'd give it a good grind of black pepper and call it done.

Annie

o

Thank you!

o

It was a hit! Highly recommend this recipe. Kids and husband loved it- thanks for the advice.

o

I always way undersalt my food when cooking, since we try to use as little as possible. I figure folks can always add more later. I always add salt at the table though. BF tries to be noble and say, "It tastes fine" and forgo it! To me, it's a fine line and I have difficulty finding it. If I had to go salt free, it would be extremely difficult. I am already suffering under a low acid diet!

o

I'm like you LPink, in that I undersalt things. When there are a lot of spices, I don't think salt is necessary. Same as using soy sauce, bacon etc. I never salt when using salty ingredients, even though the recipe says to use it.

I don't even salt pasta water, which I know is a no-no.
I've tasted pasta that tastes far too salty to me.

o

I'm in the camp with those who never salt uncooked meat. It draws the moisture out. For anyone trying to monitor or lower their salt intake, it's easier at the plate stage. We've also switched to sea salt (wow what deliciousness!) and the stores all have the little adjustable grinders (pepper too) so people can put small flakes or larger granules. I think you get more "pow" out of the salt flavor that way, too, direct contact with the tongue makes a little go a long way.

Never met a meat/savory recipe that I followed exactly. Either I don't have something, want more of something, don't like something or just have a modification I want to try. They're really just to let you know what the author did, so feel free to get in there and tinker with them, make them your own. Savory dishes allow for enormous leeway and creative license whereas baking is often very scientific and the slightest change can have profound repercussions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here