Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spaghetti sauce watery

Posted by casi (My Page) on
Fri, May 2, 08 at 20:03

What can I do to prevent home made spaghetti sauce from becoming watery? I drain my noodles well but I hate it when I put my nice thick looking sauce on the noodles and a big puddle of water appears around the noodles. What am I doing wrong?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spaghetti sauce watery

Even with thorough draining, not all the water comes off. Before plating, add a good dollop of sauce to the spaghetti and stir it up. That will coat the spaghetti with sauce instead of water.

With some types of sauce I dump the whole batch of pasta into the sauce, stir it up and plate the pasta from there, usually with tongs. Then top the pasta with the remaining sauce.

Jim

o

What Jim said:
Or maybe you are not letting it drain long enough ?

I usually flip the Noodles in the strainer about 4 times ,
especially if they are curved.
The water will lay in the Noodles, if you don't and come out onto the dish.
Lou

o

I drain the noodles and then place the pot back on the burner (electric) the heat that is left there after it's turned off dries up the water, just give it a shake or two. THEN add the sauce.

o

And be sure you aren't putting oil in your water.....makes the sauce slide off.
Perhaps your sauce needs a little tomato paste?
Linda C

o

Also, don't rise your pasta. Drain it well but don't rinse it. Rinsing removes the starch that helps the sauce cling.

o

I think that sometimes it's possible that the sauce is a bit overly-watery.

Is it possible you could post your sauce recipe?

Joe

o

To avoid the puddles of water that pool at the bottom of your plate of spaghetti, simply wait for the pasta to stop steaming after you drain it. It's the condensation that creates the puddle of water.

o

Yes, stir your pasta as it drains, to give the surface of the spaghetti a chance to dry out.

o

Thanks. It isn't just my sauce. I've eaten other folks'and theirs did the same thing. I just really did think that I drained sufficiently. Never heard of not rinsing. Thought you were supposed to. I will try draining better or like the one suggestion of putting the pan back over the burner. I was just worried that there was some reason that maybe the sauce was breaking down.

o

casi, you should never rinse your pasta unless you are using it in a cold pasta salad. When you rinse hot pasta you loose all the starchiness that allows the sauce to cling to the pasta.

There are many references on the web to support this. Here is one from the Food Network.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rinsing Pasta

o

I think the same thing as Joe, that the pasta is likely not the problem, unless you really don't let it drain enough.
Here's what sometimes happens to me: a sauce looks thick enough in the pot, but when you pour it over a tangle of spaghetti, the spaghetti is like a strainer and separates the sauce -- the solider tomato bits stay on top while the watery juices run through and pool on the plate.

o

Casi:
It must be your Sauce. I've never had a problem either adding oil to to water,
or rinsing the Spaghetti. I was told since the 40's to rinse the starch out.
The Sauce sticks to the Spaghetti. Maybe I've been lucky all these years.

It could just be that you don't let them drain enough.

Some Sauces with a lot of Crushed Tomatoes and no Puree or Paste, the water will drain out.

Could you put in your Sauce Recipe ?
Lou

o

Dump your sauce into a strainer over a bowl and see how thick it really is. Reduce it if it drips, you may dirty an extra pan but you may concentrate the flavor.

o

I usually add about a ladle full of the pasta water to my sauce, too, after I've let it reduce. Then, after draining the pasta, back in the pan, shake it around it a bit, and then add some sauce. I never rinse the pasta, and I don't use much tomato paste, but I let it cook most of the day.

o

Is there a rule that if you add very hot food to a cold/room temp plate that condensation wil occur? That would be my guess.

o

It's not clear to me whether the water is coming from the sauce or the pasta. Or, as a couple of people said, from condensation of steam on the plate. That last one can be helped by warming the plates, which is a good thing to do in any case.

Adding a small amount of pasta cooking water to the sauce as mentioned by ideefixe is advocated by Lidia, not necessarily to prevent water, but to add a little body to the sauce. I like to do that. I no longer use tomato paste for anything, every other form of tomatoes, but no paste.

Do you know which of the three is the sources of the water, the sauce, the pasta or condensation? If not, do you have just a hunch?

We have to solve this one. Watery plate! Yecchh!!!

Jim

o
sauce watery

I vote for condensation. Wait until your pasta has stopped steaming before putting it on the plate.

o

I think Cloudy Christine & Kandm may have a clue. If the sauce is added to naked pasta, the tomato sauce solids may rest on top of the pasta while the watery juicy part flows through and pools on the plate. I've found that putting the pasta back in the hot pot and tossing it over low heat for about a minute or so with a few ladles of sauce helps. It distributes the sauce evenly and allows the pasta to absorb the sauce flavors. Then I can add another ladle of sauce to each serving if desired (along with a swirl of extra virgin olive oil & a sprinkling of freshly grated Parmesan cheese). I saw a couple of chefs on TV do this, tried it, and liked the end result.

o

Casi:
Could you please put in your recipe, so they can figure out what you did.
Also , Did you use noodles ( Elbow's )that could hold water ?
If you did they have to be shaken a few times.
Lou

o

I do almost exactly as you, shambo. Except I am more likely to put the drained pasta into the sauce than back into the dry pot, although that used to work for me. I totally agree that the pasta should be coated with sauce before plating. No naked pasta, puleeze.

Olive oil is the basic, most important ingredient of my pasta sauces, whether it be marinara, clam sauce, putinesca, oil and garlic, or whatever. Olive oil is the first ingredient added and a drizzle is applied at the end of cooking.

I've seen the TV chefs do this too, notably Lidia, one of my faves.

But casi, what do you think is the source of that puddle of water, the sauce, the pasta or condensation?

Jim

Note to Jessy,
I am not a prude. Eating pasta naked is acceptable under certain circumstances. But never eat naked pasta.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here