Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refreeze a fresh pizza?

Posted by dedtired (My Page) on
Sat, May 19, 12 at 19:45

I bought a pepperoni pizza as part of a library fund raiser. It's a bake-at-home pizza -- never been baked. I couldn't get there on time to pick it up so they froze it for me. I thawed it to bake tonight but when I opened the box I realized how enormous the thing is. Can I refreeze half of it or not?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refreeze a fresh pizza?

I would cook the entire thing and freeze the cooked slices.
Won't be the best, but I would eat it.

o

I would refreeze it right now....in fact I have done just that thing....bought a "charity" pizza that was huge....defrosted and refroze half. The half I cooked right away was better than that I refroze......but better than trying to re heat a cooked one.....and keep the cheese from turning to leather.
Linda C

o

It was getting late, so I just baked the rest of it, wrapped it up and refrigerated it. I bet a lot of it gets tossed. Too bad. Maybe I freeze some of the slices. Thanks for the suggestions.

o

Something else to try: the "brown-n-serve" approach. Cook the half you want to freeze part way, then cool and freeze it. When you are ready to eat it, you just have to finish the cooking process. That seems to keep the cheese from becoming leather -- and the crust as well.

When we make pizzas, we make an extra that is only par-baked and then frozen for later -- for those nights we just don't want to cook. When we are ready to eat it, we heat the oven to 400 or 425, and then put in the frozen pizza for 6 - 8 minutes. Sometimes we add a bit of extra sauce to the top and/or extra cheese, but not necessary. If we have the pizza stone in the oven, it takes a longer pre-heat because it takes a while for the stone to come up to temp. But it does make for a better second-time-around crust.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here