Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cinco De Mayo Recipes/ideas

Posted by doucanoe (My Page) on
Tue, May 1, 12 at 19:44

Saturday is Cinco de Mayo and our neighbors are having a get-together. She is doing a Build Your Own Taco bar. I am sure there will be Borracho Beans, the ever-present Chili Cheese dip, chips & salsa.

I want to bring something substantial to fit the theme, but everything I can think of that can be made a bit ahead seems to closely resemble tacos! LOL

So far the only thing I have come up with is a Jicama Mango Salad, Corn and Black Bean Salad, or maybe enchiladas.

Anyone have any other good ideas? I suppose I could do carnitas as an alternative to ground taco meat, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes...

Maybe a shrimp appetizer?
Tamales? (Although I have never made them...)
Falutas? Can they be made ahead and re-warmed?

Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cinco De Mayo Recipes/ideas

oops....I meant Flautas....

o

What about enchiladas? Bean, beef, or cheese/onion--all will go well with tacos. Easy to do too.

o

Taquitos? Quesadillas? Or how about a dessert type thing. Ice cream is always good, and you could do some cinnamon sugar tortilla chips to go with it.

A couple bottles of tequila is a good recipe too.

o

How about flan?

o

Guacamole? No one's mentioned it yet?

o

Jalapeno poppers!

o

I've made tamales a number of times. Fussy and time-consuming but absolutely delicious. Obviously can be made ahead and reheated. They would be great with tacos and people would certainly appreciate the amount of work involved.

o

Linda - first of all I would find out what food the host is making. And then I would take it from there with some of the suggestions.

Margaritas would go with anything. I'm just sayin ......

o

No one has mentioned Spanish rice yet either, although the hostess may be providing that.

I like to make deep-fried quesadillas, which are made with fresh or reconstituted masa (masa with water) and are filled with cheese plus whatever you want - I like mushrooms or cooked broccoli, but any leftover vegetable is good, including potatoes. They look like empanadas when they are done, and need to be served hot, but they can be reheated. Or you could make a nopale salad, providing you can find nopales. That would be very festive.

Someone had better be making guacamole!

Lars

o

I did mention in my original post that the hostess is doing a build your own taco bar and also which dishes I was pretty sure others were bringing.

I am sure someone will bring guac. Spanish/Mexican Rice crossed my mind, and fried quesadillas and jalapeno poppers are good ideas. And I love flan, but again, it's time consuming.....but a possibility.

I want to try tamales, but not sure I am willing to dedicate that much time to them at this time.

Lars, I am not even sure what a nopale is! LOL

Linda

o

Here's nopales.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nopales

o

I probably will be making Chicharron and Nopales.

dcarch

o

Flan is about the easiest and most simple of desserts.
This from the Pink Adobe in Santa Fe.

Flan...or creme caramel
You need a 1 1/2 qt straight sided dish to make this in...I use a souffle dish
Melt 2/3 cup of sugar in a sauce pan over medium heat until it turns caramel color. Pour into your baking dish and tilt the dish so it covers the bottom and goes part way up the sides. Set dish aside.

In a blender (or you could use a bowl and a mixer) mix:
3 eggs
3 egg yolks
2 t pure vanilla extract
1 14oz can of sweetened condensed milk
1 3/4 c. milk
2 oz cream cheese
Mix until smooth...pour into prepared dish. Bake in a water bath in a pre-heated 350 oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes clean. You may have to tent it with foil during the last 15 or 20 minutes to keep it from getting too brown.
Cool one hour than chill at least several hours...better overnight. Turn upside down on a serving plate...one with sides, the caramel makes a sauce and will run down the sides. Serve in wedges like a cake, topped with strawberries if you want.

Water bath: set your baking dish in another larger pan and fill the other pan with boiling water 1/2 up the side of the baking dish.

o

Ahhhh...prickly pear. I love them, have eaten them in Monterrey MX, but have never seen them here.

Flan was actually one of the first things that came to mind. It's one of my very favorite desserts, however not knowing how many people will be there, the fact that it's an outdoor party, and whether they will all come at once, I think I'll save that for something more "predictable".

Wish I could get prickly pear/nopale here...

Linda

o

I want to make these tequila jello shots.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.brit.co/food/have-a-fiesta-with-these-cinco-de-mayo-jello-shots/

o

A couple of shrimp ideas..... I am making the second one for Sat, but we are not sticking to completely Mexican, it will be a Caribbean/Gulf of Mexico theme. Have fun!

Alexa

Mexican Shrimp Cocktail

1 lb shrimp with shells
¼ cup olive oil
4 garlic cloves
½ - 1 tsp chili powder

Guacamole for dipping

Toss the shrimp with the EVO, garlic and chili powder. Heat a pan to med-high and sauté shrimp until it is no longer pink. Move to a bowl and chill. Serve with a squeeze of fresh lime and guacamole and chips.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jerk Shrimp Cocktail
Ingredients
• 3 quarts water
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 2 pounds uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
• 1/3 cup olive oil
• 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
• 3 tablespoons lime juice
• 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
• 4 teaspoons honey
• 3 teaspoons Caribbean jerk seasoning
• 1 medium mango or 2 medium peaches, peeled and cubed
• 1 small red onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
• 1 medium lime, quartered and sliced
Directions
• In a large saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Add shrimp; boil for 3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink, stirring occasionally. Drain and rinse with cold water; transfer to a large resealable plastic bag.
• In a small bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, lime juice, jalapeno, honey and jerk seasoning. Pour 3/4 cup marinade over shrimp. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 1-2 hours. Refrigerate remaining marinade.
• Just before serving, drain and discard marinade from shrimp. On a large serving platter, layer with shrimp, mango, onion and lime. Drizzle with remaining marinade. Yield: 15-20 servings.

o

I came across this bunch of recipes for sweets for a Cinco de Mayo fiesta. Any new ideas here?

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweets for a Cinco de Mayo Fiesta

o

Helene, that recipe for Corn Paletas looks interesting. Not necessarily for this party, but for this summer when fresh sweet corn hits the stands!

I was looking thru my T&T recipe file and decided to make Southwestern Egg Rolls. Not authentic Mexican, but this group will love them and I can make them ahead.

Definitely saving some of these recipes/ideas for future use. Thanks all!

Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here