Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
May 2013 New Recipe Review

Posted by ci_lantro (My Page) on
Wed, May 1, 13 at 19:37

Had a butternut squash that I baked last week...wasn't a great squash so decided that I'd use it in baked goods. So I tried the following recipe, subbing squash for the sweet potato. This makes a nice moist cake.

Sweet Potato Spice Cake (Emeril Lagasse)

Ingredients

1 teaspoon unsalted butter at room temperature, plus 1/2 pound (2 sticks)
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds raw sweet potatoes) [Substituted cooked butternut squash]
4 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 cup chopped toasted walnuts (didn't use)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice, or slightly more as needed
1 teaspoon grated orange zest

Directions

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Butter a 12-cup bundt pan with 1 teaspoon of the butter and set aside. **

In a large bowl using an electric mixer, cream the butter, brown sugar, and sugar. Add the sweet potatoes and beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, and beat after each addition.

Into a bowl, sift together the flour, soda, powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and nutmeg. Add to the sweet potato mixture a third at a time. Fold in the nuts and vanilla. Pour into the prepared pan and bake until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes in the pan.

While the cake is resting in the pan, in a bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, orange juice, and orange zest. Stir well to combine and make a tight glaze, adding more orange juice 1/2 teaspoon at a time to achieve a pourable consistency.

Turn out onto a wire rack. While the cake is still warm, drizzle the orange-sugar glaze to evenly coat. Cool completely before cutting.

**I greased & floured the bundt pan, not trusting just butter. The cake released very nicely from the pan.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: May 2013 New Recipe Review

sounds good. I've made squash baked goods and they are a good sub for sweet potato! One of my favorites is Jamie Oliver's butternut squash muffins with a frosty top!

Martha

o

ci-lantro, I also have a recipe that uses butternut squash and honey in whole wheat dinner rolls, nicely sweet with a lovely color.

My newest recipe was tonight's supper, a take on huevos rancheros from Eating Well, with green salsa and pinto beans. It was OK, nothing to shout about, so I won't post it. Ann T's Stacked Enchiladas are a much better use of tomatillos, in my opinion.

Annie

o

I was at a Derby Day party this weekend and loved these crispy, salty triangles. I just had to request the recipe from the hostess.

OLIVE AND ANCHOVY BITES

1 cup flour
1/2 cup chilled unsalted butter, grated
I cup finely grated Manchego, sharp cheddar or gruyere cheese (she used piave)
2 oz. can anchovy fillets in oil, well-drained and roughly chopped
1/2 cup pitted black olives, roughly chopped (she used Kalamatas)
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
Sea salt, to serve

Place all ingredients except salt in a food processor and pulse to form a firm dough. Wrap dough loosely in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400. Roll out dough thinly on a lightly floured surface

Cut the dough into 2 inch wide strips, then cut across each strip in alternate directions to make triangles. Transfer to parchment lined baking sheets and bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack and sprinkle with sea salt before serving. Makes about 40.

o

Ruthanna - those sound amazing! I am making them tomorrow as a snack for my GF get together.... Thank you for sharing the recipe!

Alexa

o

I made this quick and easy Gnudi recipe over the weekend - very tasty! The sauce needed quite a bit of salt, but this is a definite keeper.

Alexa

Ricotta Gnudi with Pomodoro Sauce Bon Appétit : February 2013

These dumplings are delicious with pomodoro sauce, or try them with brown butter and sage.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
ingredients
16 ounces ricotta (about 2 cups)
1 large egg, beaten to blend
1 large egg yolk, beaten to blend
1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan or Grana Padano plus more
1/2 teaspoons kosher salt plus more
1/2 cup all-purpose flour plus more
3 cups Quick Pomodoro Sauce

Mix ricotta, egg, egg yolk, pepper, 1/2 cup Parmesan, and 1/2 teaspoons salt in a large bowl until well combined. Add 1/2 cup flour; stir just until combined and mixture forms a ball (mixture will be soft and moist with some bits of ricotta remaining; add more flour by the tablespoonful if it feels wet).

Dust a rimmed baking sheet generously with flour. Using 2 large soup spoons, shape heaping tablespoonfuls of dough into football shapes; place on baking sheet and dust with more flour (you should have 30).

Cook gnudi in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until cooked through and tender, 5-6 minutes (gnudi will quickly float to surface; continue cooking or gnudi will be gummy in the center).

Using a slotted spoon, divide gnudi among bowls. Top with Quick Pomodoro Sauce and more Parmesan.

Quick Pomodoro Sauce Bon Appétit : February 2013

Go ahead and double this tomato sauce. It freezes well��"ready for other pastas or for simmer-poaching eggs
Yield: Makes 3 cups
ingredients
1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
1/2 cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 teaspoons sugar
Kosher salt

preparation

Pulse tomatoes with juices in a blender to form a coarse purée. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring often, until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add tomato purée and sugar and season with salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer gently until sauce is slightly thickened, 10-15 minutes. DO AHEAD: Sauce can be made 3 days ahead. Cover and chill, or freeze for up to 3 months.

o

I made 2 new recipes for dinner tonite. They were both hits and are going in my keeper-binder.Neither of us like cilantro at all, so I used lovage from my garden. I also omitted the mace.

Tomato Rice (Tamatar Biryani) (Food52.com)

1 cup Indian or Pakistani white basmati rice
2 tablespoons Ghee or butter
1/4 teaspoon whole cloves
6 green or white cardamom pods
2 cinnamon sticks (each 3 inches long)
2 blades mace
1 small red onion, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
1 teaspoon shredded fresh ginger
4 medium-size cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 or 3 fresh green Thai, cayenne, or serrano chiles, to taste, stems removed, cut lengthwise into thin strips (do not remove the seeds)
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon coarse kosher or sea salt
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves and tender stems

Place the rice in a medium-size bowl. Fill the bowl halfway with water, to cover the rice. Gently rub the slender grains through your fingers, without breaking them, to wash off any dust or light foreign objects (like loose husks), which will float to the surface. The water will become cloudy. Drain this water. Repeat three or four times, until the water remains relatively clear; drain. Now fill the bowl halfway with cold water and let it sit at room temperature until the kernels soften, 20 to 30 minutes; drain.

Heat the ghee in a medium-size saucepan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle in the cloves, cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks, and mace. Cook until they sizzle, crackle, and smell aromatic, 15 to 30 seconds.

Then add the onion and stir-fry until it is light brown around the edges, 5 to 7 minutes. Mix in the ginger, garlic, and chiles. Cook, stirring, for about 1 minute. (You don't want the garlic to brown because its nutlike crunch is important to the rice's texture.) Stir in the tomatoes, with their juices, and the sea salt and turmeric. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes soften, 5 to 7 minutes.

Add the drained rice and toss gently to coat the grains with the tomato sauce. Pour in 1 1/2 cups water, and stir once to incorporate the ingredients. Bring to a boil, still over medium-high heat.

Cook until the water has evaporated from the surface and craters are starting to appear in the rice, 5 to 8 minutes. Then (and not until then) stir once to bring the partially cooked layer from the bottom of the pan to the surface. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce the heat to the lowest possible setting. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes (10 minutes for a gas burner). Then turn off the heat and let the pan stand on that burner, undisturbed, for 10 minutes. Remove the lid, fluff the rice with a fork, remove the cinnamon, cardamom and cloves, sprinkle with cilantro, and serve.

Absurdly Addictive Asparagus (Food52.com)

I didn't have pine nuts so used a handful of toasted sesame seeds. I also used lime zest, as I had that in the freezer. It worked great. This is a keeper.

4 ounces pancetta, cut into 3/8 inch to 1/4 inch dice
1 tablespoon butter
1 pound asparagus, woody ends trimmed and sliced into 2 inch pieces on the bias
1 1/4 cups leek, thinly sliced crosswise (white and pale green parts only)
2 cloves garlic, minced
Zest of one lemon
1 teaspoon orange zest
2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
1-2 tablespoon Italian parsley, chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

In a large non-stick pan, saute pancetta, stirring frequently, over medium heat, until crisp and lightly golden. Add 1 tablespoon of butter to pan. Add asparagus pieces and leek and saute until asparagus is tender crisp, about 3-4 minutes.

Add garlic, lemon and orange zest, toasted pine nuts and parsley and saute for about 1 minute, until fragrant. Season to taste with freshly ground pepper and salt and serve immediately.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here