SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ci_lantro

May 2013 New Recipe Review

ci_lantro
10 years ago

Had a butternut squash that I baked last week...wasn't a great squash so decided that I'd use it in baked goods. So I tried the following recipe, subbing squash for the sweet potato. This makes a nice moist cake.

Sweet Potato Spice Cake (Emeril Lagasse)

Ingredients

1 teaspoon unsalted butter at room temperature, plus 1/2 pound (2 sticks)
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds raw sweet potatoes) [Substituted cooked butternut squash]
4 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 cup chopped toasted walnuts (didn't use)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice, or slightly more as needed
1 teaspoon grated orange zest

Directions

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Butter a 12-cup bundt pan with 1 teaspoon of the butter and set aside. **

In a large bowl using an electric mixer, cream the butter, brown sugar, and sugar. Add the sweet potatoes and beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, and beat after each addition.

Into a bowl, sift together the flour, soda, powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and nutmeg. Add to the sweet potato mixture a third at a time. Fold in the nuts and vanilla. Pour into the prepared pan and bake until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes in the pan.

While the cake is resting in the pan, in a bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, orange juice, and orange zest. Stir well to combine and make a tight glaze, adding more orange juice 1/2 teaspoon at a time to achieve a pourable consistency.

Turn out onto a wire rack. While the cake is still warm, drizzle the orange-sugar glaze to evenly coat. Cool completely before cutting.

**I greased & floured the bundt pan, not trusting just butter. The cake released very nicely from the pan.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994