SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thatchairlady

it's 'shoot' season!?!

thatchairlady
11 years ago

MANY years ago, previous neighbor planted bamboo in a corner of his yard. It took several years, but it eventually "invaded" the 3 attached yards... mine included. Personally, wasn't concerned once I realized if ya snapped it off when it was short, it didn't regrow. At least not in that same spot... just ran someplace else. Current (crazy/good) neighbor would probably want a public execution of the guy. A few years ago, taught GED, ABE, and ESL students at a community college. In conversation, mentioned that the bamboo shoots were starting here in NJ. The season only lasts a few weeks but this stuff grows like CRAZY. Can be a 2-3 inches tall today and easily 6+inches tomorrow. WELL, my Asian students almost did cartwheels when I said I'd bring them in as much as I could. They fed me several different stir fry dishes... CHinese, Laotian, Viet Namese... all tasty! To me, tasted a little like asparagus?!?

Well... it's BACK!! At least for a few weeks. The fresh stuff has NO resemblance to the stuff in those little cans. Wondering if anyone here cooks with fresh bamboo shoots? What do you do with them? Had thought that maybe they'd make nice pickles??

Comments (5)