SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mabeldingeldine_gw

Please help me perfect this lemon drop pizza

mabeldingeldine_gw
10 years ago

Last night I had some of my students over for pizza dinner (holy cow did they eat a lot of pizza!). For dessert, I made a lemon drop pizza (I'd never tried this before) to go along with a mixed berry crumble.

I found the recipe on the Forno Bravo Brick Oven Forum and had been wanting to try it. While it was delicious, it was a bit wet in the middle, so I'm looking for some solutions for that. The recipe is pasted below. I did par-bake my crust for just a few minutes as many of the commenter suggested, then spread the marscarpone. I don't think I used that much confectioner's sugar, which may have something to do with the wet center of the pizza, but it was plenty sweet.

Any suggestions? It was really delicious and I'm probably being too fussy, but I can't help myself!

Pizza Gypsy Lemon Drop Pizza

This recipe is reminiscent of a "lemon square" dessert. It's both sweet and tart.

Ingredients:

8 oz. dough ball
Mascarpone cheese - room temperature
2-3 whole lemons, completely zested of all rind, then sliced extremely thin
2 TBLS sweet butter
Approx 1.5-2 heaping cups of confectioners' sugar

Steps:

Prepare your dough ball into a 12"-14" pie.
Spread a thin layer of mascarpone cheese across the entire pie, leaving a thin edge of the pie exposed at the outer circumference (just like you make a traditional pie). You don't need much cheese; you're simply using it as a binding agent for the lemons.
Now layer your thinly sliced lemons. Starting at the center of the pie and, building outward, create a spiral and cover the mascarpone cheese. You'll likely need 2.5 lemons to cover the pie.
Cook your pie in your screaming hot oven. It should take 90-120 seconds.
Now brush a thin layer of butter onto the pie, covering all of the lemons.
Now for the insanity: Using a flour sifter, gently sift confectioners' sugar throughout the surface of the pie. Cover it with a good amount. Don't be shy, but don't "dump it on." Completely cover with a single layer, then wait. You'll notice that the sugar will appear to "melt." It will look like a liquid. That's good. Now repeat the process of covering the pie with another layer. Repeat this process - it will take at least 4 layers (perhaps more) - until the sugar no longer liquefies, but instead starts looking like powder. Slice and serve.

Comments (6)