SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caflowerluver

What can you do with Italian Sausage besides pasta?

caflowerluver
14 years ago

I bought some on sale on a whim. I have never cooked with it before. I did a search and all I come up with is pasta dishes. If that is all you do with it, OK that is what I will make with it. But I am not a big pasta fan, so was hoping there was something else.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Clare

Comments (56)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The only thing I use it for is pizza and calzones.

• obxgina
    14 years ago

Grill it with or with out peppers and onions, get a good Italian roll and have sandwiches.

• Related Discussions

Italian Sausage

Q

Comments (14)
    I've been using this recipe that someone posted to this forum in the last few months. Unfortunately, I didn't make a note of who posted it. Hopefully, they will pop in & lay claim to it! Homemade Italian Sausage 2 lb. well-marbled pork butt med ground 2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese 1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley, well packed 1/4 cup dry white wine or ice cold water 1 clove garlic (I use 3-4 cloves) minced 1/2 T. ground fennel seed 1 T. dried basil 1 t. red chili peppers, minced 1/2 t. salt 1/2 t. dried oregano 1/4 t. freshly ground black pepper 1/2 t. thyme Mix all ingred together in large bowl. Using sausage stuffer, fill casings, twisting off 8" links or freeze as patties or in bulk. That's the recipe. I've been making it with ground turkey, omitting the cheese & wine, using the 3-4 cloves of garlic & doubling the am't. of fennel. Cheese because I'm not crazy about cheese & the wine because I haven't had any on hand when I've made the recipe. And the salt because DH is on a salt-restricted diet. I've been using the frozen chubs of ground turkey from Aldi's. The mix is plenty wet w/o the wine or water. Also, I've freezing it in 1# bulk am'ts to use in spaghetti & lasagna. I've tried a couple of other recipes in the past & this one is my favorite by far. Last batch I made up w/ 6# of meat. And using the turkey from Aldi's (1.19 a lb.) it's really inexpensive to make & better tasting than the Ital sausage I can get at the market (Johnsonville, Jimmy Dean, etc.) Anyway, am really glad that you started this thread. I never thought about toasting the fennel OR adding tarragon. Tarragon & fennel are my next two favorite herbs...after cilantro, of course. :)
    ...See More

How do you remove pasta from a large pot?

Q

Comments (22)
    I don't heat the plates - I don't need to. My pasta is hotter than normal the way I do it and the sauce is simmering. Plus it wouldn't make much sense since my plates are thin (Corelle) and would lose the heat quickly anyway. So, for spaghetti for instance, if I'm making a large batch I'll use a colander in the sink or use the strainer lid on the pot and dump it unless I need the water for something. Smaller sizes I use a 3 quart saucepan and either the strainer lid or colander and dump it, then the pasta goes back into the pan and back on the stove to steam out excess moisture. This is when I salt the pasta. I do not salt pasta water. You don't have control over how salty it gets. Salting the pasta now gives you complete control (or at least gives *me* complete control) and I stir it until the excess water is out and of course this is heating the pasta more and completes the cooking so I pull it before al dente. Then a scoop of sauce (and I enjoy a thicker - not watery meat sauce), and add meat additions if necessary (meatballs if separate, sausages or whatever) and stir them in, again and this step additionally heating everything, then onto the plate and onto the table piping hot. Since doing it this way, I find I use less sauce, less seasoning and truly enjoy it more as the pasta is seasoned and the sauce absorbs into the pasta better so there's flavor from the sauce too. No need for preheated plates this way either. Then of course top with cheese if desired, grab the garlic bread (sometimes if it's cooled, set it on top of the pasta to warm it - yes it's that hot!) and enjoy a fine meal of pasta. No more drippy wet, plate full of water for me with pasta!
    ...See More

1 lb Italian Sausage...ideas for dinner?

Q

Comments (27)
    Lou, ROTFL!!!! Jim, thank you - I appreciate it! I am not surprised I couldn't read the bag. Overnight it seems I need reading glasses! I think I made a combo of everything on here - lol. Removed casings and browned the sausage with onion and garlic. Added carrot, crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, bay leaf - simmered - then at the end added frozen green beans and a box of orzo. I made a mistake - I think I was supposed to do 1/2 cup and I put the whole box in so it was more like a stoup! I have 2 quarts left for lunch during the week:D Soup in the fridge is a good thing. Maria, I made something similar that Lydia B. made - it also had peccorino. I forgot about it - thank you. Funny you mentioned the red wine! I mentioned earlier that I wasnt going out - it was snowing. Well, it turned out I had half a class left of wine - so while I wouldn't go out for heavy cream I put the boots on for Ruffino Chianti Classico:D
    ...See More

2 lbs of italian sausage..what to do..what to do

Q

Comments (29)
    Terri, I missed the fact that the sausage was already ground. AND I missed the fact that you aren't looking for a pasta recipe. I would hate it if Moe didn't like pasta. How about making a stuffing for chicken using some of the ground sausage. You could stuff boneless chicken breasts or bone out and stuff a whole chicken. Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table Chicken - Deboned Stuffed Chicken ================================== Source: Pat Davis Cooking School, Grand Rapids, Michigan 1979 Note: A Boned out Three pound chicken will feed 6 nicely. 1 3 pound chicken or 4 Whole Chicken Breasts (not singles 3 cups Fresh Bread - Crumbled 1 small onion 1 clove garlic 1/4 pound of Sausage (I usually use one Italian Sausage) 1/4 pound of mushrooms 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 2 teaspoons of fresh 1 egg Butter Chicken Broth Salt and pepper to taste Sauce 1/2 cup White Wine 1 cup Chicken Broth 1 onion 2 small tomatoes 1 garlic clove . Bone out whole chicken or if using just the breasts bone the breasts but leave them whole. DO NOT REMOVE SKIN Save bones. Saute onion, and garlic in butter. Add sausage, (if using link take meat out of casing), add sliced mushrooms and saute. Season with thyme,salt and pepper and mix in coarsely crumbled bread. Add chicken broth to moisten. Add egg. Stuff chicken,(or breasts) and sew up with unwaxed dental floss. Preheat oven to 375°. Place bones in shallow roasting pan and place chicken on bones. Roast for 30 minutes and then add one coarsely chopped onion, and two coarsely chopped tomatoes,and the garlic clove to the pan. Pour in 1/2 cup of white wine and 1/2 cup of chicken broth. Chicken should sit above liquid resting on the bones. Continue roasting for another 30 to 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked. (note: Breasts take the less time) When cooked remove chicken to board to rest and remove bones from pan. Skim excess fat from pan juices add the remaining 1/2 cup of chicken broth and pour contents into blender. Puree to make sauce. To serve,Remove dental floss (comes out easy with one little pull). Slice breasts into nice rounds and place 3 or 4 slices on each plate.If using the whole chicken, also slice in to 1/2 inch slices and place one to two on each plate. Drizzle with sauce.
    ...See More
  • caflowerluver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone. Good suggestions all. I was thinking main course. I am tired of the same-old same-old so thought I would try something different, then didn't know what to so with it. LOL

Lou - Sorry no Italian, just French and Irish. I like the hamburger idea. I think the rest of the crowd would like that too.

I found this recipe online. Anyone ever make anything like it? I have TONS of Swiss chard in the garden to sub for savoy cabbage.
    Clare

ITALIAN SAUSAGE WITH SAVOY CABBAGE
    This hearty Italian dish may be served as the main course and needs little else to provide a satisfying and tasty meal. In small portions it may be served as a soup or a side dish to enhance most any meal.

2 lbs. Italian sausage (6 to 8 links). Use the mild sausage without anise
    1/2 c. finely chopped Spanish onion
    2 tbsp. cooking oil (olive oil)
    2 tbsp. butter
    1 1/2 c. dry red wine (Italian red)
    1 toe garlic, mashed
    1 lg. savoy cabbage (curley leaf) with some dark green leaves, about 3 lbs. (or 2 sm. ones)
    2 tbsp. bacon, finely chopped
    1 (16 oz.) can stewed tomatoes
    Salt and pepper

Prick sausages in several places with a fork, place in a deep dish, cover with wine to which the mashed garlic has been added. Cover and set aside to marinate for 30 minutes or longer.
    Separate the cabbage leaves, wash thoroughly in salt water then rinse. Cut off the fibrous center core of the heavy leaves. Set aside to drain. Put the olive oil, butter and finely chopped bacon in a 6 quart kettle. Place over moderate heat, add onions and brown to transparency. Drain the sausage and save the wine marinade. Add sausage to kettle and saute until lightly browned. Add wine marinade. Simmer until partly absorbed. Add stewed tomatoes, cabbage and an additional 1/2 cup of wine. Cover and stir occasionally. Cabbage will wilt and form additional liquid.
    Cook on low heat until cabbage is tender, about 40 minutes. DO NOT OVERCOOK. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve in soup bowls with Italian hard bread.
    Serves 4.

• lindac
    14 years ago

You can do anything with Italian sausage that you can do with any other kind of sausage.
    Depending on how hot it is...with eggs for breakfast, in meatballs, in a meat loaf, in stuffing for chicken roast pork, mushrooms, artichokes, cabbage....whatever.
    Enjoy.
    Linda C

• sushipup1
    14 years ago

We grill them and serve with Newman's sauce. Yum! The local small market makes their own sausage.

• momto4kids
    14 years ago

red beans and rice in lieu of andouille

• becky_ca
    14 years ago

Our current favorite is French bread pizza: Cut a nice loaf of sourdough into quarters. Top with a couple of spoonfuls of pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese and whatever other toppings you like - we like pepperoni, cooked Italian sauasge, chopped mushrooms and caramelized onions. Top with another slice of cheese if you like and bake at 400F for 12-15 minutes. Yummy :-)

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Clare:
    Didn't you know French and Irish is Italian. If there was some German, it would be Southern Italy.

Maybe Calabrese, They are hardheads ?

How could I have forgotten the Sausage and Cabbage ?????
    It's one of my favorites but don't cook it too often ?

Try all of them . what the H3LL !!!

Lou

• shaun
    14 years ago

Oooooh I used to make this Italian Dish, Sausage and Rice Casserole, it had sausage, onions, mozzarella cheese, eggs and white rice...... then baked. If you realllllly want the recipe, let me know and I'll type it out.
    And now I hope I remember to come back here and check to see if you want the recipe!!

• jimster
    14 years ago

Sausage Cacciatore -- Like chicken cacciatore, with peppers, onions, tomatoes, etc. but made with sausage instead of chicken.

Greens and Beans with Sausage -- Cannellini or other white beans cooked with escarole, garlic, olive oil, chicken broth and cut up sausage. Serve over pasta. I like medium shells for this because the beans and shells are of a similar size and mingle nicely.

Gina has the most classic preparation IMO.

Clare's recipe with Savoy cabbage is a must try.

Jim

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Shaun:
    Are you OK ?????
    LOU

• jojoco
    14 years ago

Saute it with some spinach and garlic and then add it to risotto, with a handful of parm cheese.

jo

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

More good suggestions. Thanks again everyone.

Shaun - If you can find the recipe, please post. Sounds yummy.

Clare

• bunnyman
    14 years ago

Fry and stick it in a hotdog bun with some cheese on top. I get hot italian sausage and they are a favorite sandwich to pack for work... they reheat well. I just use plain american cheese slices.

: )
    lyra

• nancylouise5me
    14 years ago

When Wayne and I were first married we had a veggie garden. We both loved spinach so we grew that the most.
    One quickie recipe we loved was sliced Italian hot sausage, peppers and onions fried in a skillet. Mounded up with our home grown spinach. It would wilt down and then we would heap the mixture in sub rolls. Sometimes we would add a slice of cheese but mostly just the sausage mixture. Delish! NancyLouise

• shaun
    14 years ago

LOU!!!

I'm good. You good?

• ruthanna_gw
    14 years ago

When our girls were still at home, I used to slit and remove the skin from Italian sausage, fry it up like ground beef, and store it in the fridge for school morning breakfasts.

I would put scrambled eggs, sausage and cheese on flour tortillas, roll them up and microwave for breakfast burritos.

The sausage crumbles could be mixed in with scrambled eggs or rolled into crescent roll dough and baked.

I'd also put some of the sausage meat into a custard cup, top with a whole egg, add s&p and a little butter and/or cream and bake at 350 for about 10 minutes.

• woodie
    14 years ago

I haven't made this one yet, its been in my files for a few years, but its FYI -

Texas Meatloaf with Spicy Ketchup (based on Rachel Rays Texas Hold-Ums Burgers)
    1 ½# ground beef
    ½# sweet sausage
    1 medium onion, grated and divided in half
    ¼ C oatmeal
    ¼ C egg beater
    1T Worcestershire sauce
    2 finely chopped chipotles in adobo and 2 tablespoons of adobo sauce
    2 tsp grill seasoning
    Mix together and bake at 350 for 1 hour
    To make the ketchup:
    In a small saucepan, sauté
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped and
    the other ½ of the onion
    add in and cook for a couple more minutes
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    1/4 cup vinegar
    add in and allow to reduce for 5 or 6 minutes
    1 (15-ounce) can crushed fire roasted tomatoes, about 2 cups

THIS MEATLOAF, HOWEVER, IS TRIED AND TRUE AND ITS JUST DELICIOUS!
    Posted by: culpeper (My Page) on Wed, Aug 28, 02 at 1:11
    OK guys, here's the meatloaf with the wonderful sauce. Please note, the cooking time once the sauce is added is important - if cooked too long it separates - but still tastes good! I don't use wine the way I make it, sometimes I use onion, sometimes not. I always double to sauce ingredients, as I said above.

BARBECUE MEATLOAF
    l lb. minced beef
    l lb. sausage mince
    1 cup breadcrumbs
    2 onions, diced
    1 tablespoon curry powder
    1/2 cup water
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
    1 egg, beaten
    1 garlic clove, crushed (optional)
    1/2 cup milk

Combine all meatloaf ingredients and mix until well combined. Shape into a loaf and put into greased baking pan. Bake 30 minutes at 350*.

Sauce:

1 onion, chopped very fine (optional)
    1/4 cup water
    1/2 cup tomato sauce
    1/4 cup dry red wine or beef stock
    1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
    2 tablespoons vinegar
    1 teaspoon instant coffee
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1 oz. butter
    2 teaspoons lemon juice

Saute onions until golden and add all other ingredients. Bring slowly to the boil, lower heat and simmer about 5 minutes. After loaf has cooked for 30 minutes, pour the sauce over the meat, return to oven and bake 45 minutes more, basting often. The sauce goes well with ribs or chicken.

• momto4kids
    14 years ago

There are some great ideas here! I'm going to have to start "idea" lists for ingredients. That's usually my problem...coming up with something different than the sane old thing. I know you said no pasta...but, for other folks, I sometimes crumble it up and toss it in fettucini alfredo....not the "usual" red sauce pasta you think of with sausage.

• jimster
    14 years ago

In my suggestion for Beans and Greens with Sausage, I should have mentioned that it can be served with or without pasta. I realize you are looking for alternatives to pasta. Beans and Greens are good by themselves or with sausage added, as well as with pasta.

Jim

• ruthanna_gw
    14 years ago

Here's an easy soup to make with it too.

CHARD AND SAUSAGE SOUP

1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed, crumbled
    1 Tbs. chopped garlic
    1 pound Swiss chard, trimmed and coarsely chopped
    4 to 5 cups chicken stock or 3 cans (14 1/2 oz. each) chicken broth
    1/2 cup broken (1 inch) pieces capellini or vermicelli pasta
    4 slices crusty French or Italian bread, 1/2 inch thick
    4 tsp. olive oil
    4 tsp. freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Heat a large saucepot or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, stirring and chopping to break up clumps, until browned, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Add chard and broth and bring to boiling. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, then bring back to a boil. Add pasta, cover and boil 2-4 minutes or until pasta is done.

Meanwhile, heat broiler. Broil bread slices on cookie sheet about 1 minute per side, until toasted. Drizzle each slice with 1 tsp. oil; sprinkle each with 1 tsp. grated Parmesan.

Divide soup among 4 large soup bowl and top each with prepared toast. Serves 4

• theresafic
    14 years ago

Bubble and Squeak
    Brown the sausage in a pan then remove. I then slice up a potato and onion fry it in the pan, add a LOT of cabbage after a few minutes add a small amount of chicken broth and then eat it.
    My husband is more of a tradionalist (We make this dish separately) He does not use potato or chicken broth and he cooks the cabbage a lot longer than I do until it is brown - I like mine more crunchy. He then puts a large amount of vinegar on his. One of our favorite meals.

• jazmynsmom
    14 years ago

I put two giant fry pans on med-low and add oil. When the oil is warm, fill one fry pan with thinly sliced bell peppers (red, orange & yellow), and the other with thinly sliced onions. (I don't have a single fry pan big enough for all the veg, and they do cook down considerably.) I let these simmer med-low-ish and slowly, stirring every few minutes until they're beautifully carmelized. I probably add dried thyme to both since I think it tastes so yummy in onions and peppers.

Then I heat up my griddle (a grill would also be fine) and cook the sausage. When they're cooked, I slice them on the bias into bite sized chunks (we're trying to eat less meat), and serve the pieces over the onions and peppers, (and maybe over bow-ties, or even mashed potatoes) with a bit of grated parm on top. This would also be yummy on a roll with some sort of melted white cheese.

Totally not fancy, but my husband loves it.

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Shaun - Thanks. I will copy and print it to try later.

Lots of great ideas. I will have to make sure I copy and paste all of them into my recipe file.

Thanks everyone.
    Clare

• deborah_ps
    14 years ago

My favorite is to make Italian Sausage Sandwiches

• mrsjack_gw
    14 years ago

We simmer them in beer and garlic on the grill side burner for a few minutes--then grill. We like them better than brats.

Gloria

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

I was watching Lidia Basitainich's cooking show this Sat. and she made italian sausages with fennel and green olives. She just cooked the sausages in a little olive oil, then added a bulb of diced fennel and some pitted and sliced big green olives. I think she sauteed two cloves of garlic and a pinch of pepperoncini in there too. Very simple and looked yummy. Almost made me want to give up being a vegetarian!

I get fake italian sausages and use them in baked ziti and also minestrone and tuscan bean soup. And on pizza.

• ann_t
    14 years ago

Great appetizer/first course.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Roasted Peppers And Italian Sausage Antipasti
    =============================================
    Red pepper
    Green peppers
    yellow peppers

4 Italian Sausage (hot or sweet)

Kalamata olives

Olive oil

Garlic

Hot red pepper flakes (Optional)

Regianno Parmesan Cheese

Good Italian Bread or pita bread cut into wedges.

Roast peppers, peel and cut into 1/2 inch to 1 inch strips.

Grill Italian sausages. Mix olive oil with finely minced garlic (add red pepper flakes if using). Place roasted peppers strips decoratively on a nice platter. Slice sausages on the diagonal and place between the pepper strips. Decorate with olives. Drizzle olive oil and garlic over everything and shave some Parmesan cheese over top.

Serve as an appetizer with bread and a good Italian Red Wine.

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

All the pictures looks good! And the recipes sound even better. You all have opened up a new world for me. Makes me want to run out to the kitchen and cook one for lunch.
    Clare

• Lars
    14 years ago

I use Italian sausage when I made Jambalaya - I tend to use it instead of Andouille sausage because I can easily find turkey Italian sausage, but not so easily the Andouille always has pork, which DB won't eat.

I haven't written down my Jambalaya, but essentially, I sauté celery, onion, garlic, red bell pepper, Serrano (or Jalapeño) chili, and add one cup of rice, which I may or may not sauté as well. Then I add two cups of chicken stock and simmer until the rice is almost done - 15 minutes for white rice and 40 minutes for brown rice (if I use white rice, I use less chicken stock). I add thinly sliced cooked Italian sausage near the end and simmer 5 minutes more covered and turn off the heat to let it rest 5 or 10 minutes more before stirring everything together.

Lars

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Clare:
    How could I forget ???

Chile Con Carne !!!
    Half Beef and Half Sausage.
    There are so many recipes for this, if you think you would like it, I'll post one .
    It can be served over rice.

Lou

• lisazone6_ma
    14 years ago

Sausages with peppers and onions, dripping olive oil on a roll! Fuggedaboutit!!! lol!!

Sausages with potato & egg (especially vinegar peppers!)

Sausages in gravy (spaghetti sauce)

Sausage pizza, calzone.

Sausage crumbled in between the layers of your eggplant parm.

Same with lasagna.

Boiled in a little beer, then sauteed with lots of onion.

Cook them first, then add slices to chicken soup with escarole and cannelini beans.

They're great on the grill too, but that just takes us back to the peppers and onions on a roll!

Lisa

• obxgina
    14 years ago

I forgot about this family favorite when I posted earlier:
    Bowtie Pasta and Sausage

5 Johnsonville Italian sausage links
    1 16 ounce package farfalle (bow tie) pasta
    3 Tbsp. olive oil
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 onion, sliced into small wedges
    1 green, red and yellow pepper cut in strips
    15 cherry tomatoes, halved
    Salt & pepper to taste

Place five Johnsonville Italian links into a large skillet and cook according to the package directions. While sausage is cooking, start pasta. When sausage is done, remove links from the pan and cool until they can be handled, then slice into 1/2 inch coins. Keep remaining drippings from the sausage, and add the olive oil and minced garlic to the skillet. Heat on low until the garlic releases its flavor, but not browned. Add sliced vegetables and sauté for two minutes, or until tender. Mix the sliced sausage with the vegetables in the skillet, and cook until sausage is heated through. Add cooked and drained pasta to skillet and toss with the sausage and vegetables. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.

Optional Special Touches:
    * Add 1/2 cup of red wine to the vegetables while sautéing.
    * Add 1/4 cup chopped green onion.
    * Top with shredded Asiago cheese.
    * Substitute zucchini for one of the vegetable selections

• Bizzo
    14 years ago

So many great copy and paste recipes!
    Clare, thanks for asking the question!!

Lou, I am now inspired... the next weekend I'm home I'm taking those dry beans my sister-in-law gave me before she moved (that her mother brought from New Mexico) and the sausage in the freezer and making some bean soup with sausage. YUM!!!

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the great ideas, suggestions and recipes.

bizzo - You're welcome. And you're right, so many recipes that I am inspired too!

Lou - Thanks for the recipe and you can post it, but I have a chili recipe I have been making for 31 years that is a hit. I never thought about using half sausage. Good tip. It seems like any recipe that uses hamburger you can use half sausage.

Clare

• khandi
    14 years ago

Here are 3 recipes I have in my files. Have not tried any of them yet.

Sausage Not Quite en Brioche

(From French Food At Home on Food Network Canada)

4 pork sausages
    1/2 cup wine (or beer)
    Pizza dough
    4 teaspoons whole grain mustard
    1 egg, lightly beaten with a teaspoon of water (for egg-wash glaze)

Prick the sausages with the tines of a fork. Brown them in a frying pan, 2 minutes per side. Pour in the wine, cover, and cook the sausages until done, approx. 10 minutes longer. Remove the lid and continue cooking until the wine has evaporated.

Roll out 4 pieces of pizza dough, or stretch it with your fingers, into rectangles large enough to roll the sausages in. Smear the mustard over the pastry. Set the sausage on top, then roll up and seal. (You can hide the sausage completely in the pastry, or let the ends of the sausage poke out the sides, which looks even better.) Brush the pastry with egg wash, and bake on a baking sheet at 400°F/200ºC for 20 minutes until the dough is cooked.

Sausage Stuffed Bell Peppers

(Can't remember where I got this recipe.)

1/2 lb. ground pork sausage
    1 c. chopped onions
    1/2 c. chopped green bell peppers
    1/2 c. chopped celery
    salt
    freshly ground black pepper
    1-1/2 c. cooked long-grain rice
    1/4 c. chopped green onions, green part only
    4 medium bell peppers, sliced in half lengthwise, seed removed
    4 tbsp. dried fine bread crumbs
    4 tbsp. grated Parmesan Reggiano cheese
    Creole Seasoning

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In large skillet, over medium heat, brown sausage, about 3 minutes. Add onions, peppers, and celery. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté for 4 to 5 minutes, or until vegetables are soft. Add rice and mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 3 minutes.

Remove from heat and stir in green onions and parsley. Season bell peppers with salt and pepper. Spoon mixture into the bell peppers.

In mixing bowl, combine breadcrumbs and cheese. Season with Creole Seasoning and mix well. Sprinkle the crust over each pepper. Place peppers in shallow pan and add just enough water to cover bottom. Bake for 30 minutes, or until tops are crusty and brown. Serve hot.

Yield: 4 servings

Sausage, Peppers, and Onions

(Giada from Everyday Italian - see recipe reviews at end of recipe)

¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
    1 pound sweet Italian turkey sausage
    2 red bell peppers, sliced
    2 yellow onions, sliced
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    ½ teaspoon dried oregano
    ½ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
    4 garlic cloves, chopped
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    1 cup Marsala wine
    1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
    ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
    4 to 6 fresh Italian sandwich rolls, optional

Heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausages and cook until brown on both sides, about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and drain.
    Keeping the pan over medium heat, add the peppers, onions, salt, and pepper and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the oregano, basil, and garlic and cook 2 more minutes.

Add the tomato paste and stir. Add the Marsala wine, tomatoes, and chili flakes, if using. Stir to combine, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to release all the browned bits. Bring to a simmer.
    Cut the sausages into 4 to 6 pieces each, about 1-inch cubes. Add the sausage back to the pan and stir to combine. Cook until the sauce has thickened, about 20 minutes.

Serve in bowls. Or, if serving as a sandwich, split the rolls in half lengthwise. Hollow out the bread from the bottom side of each roll, being careful not to puncture the crust. Fill the bottom half of the roll with sausage mixture. Top and serve sandwiches immediately.

Reviews from people:

5 STARS Turkey sausage too dry. Used as a pizza topping with buffalo mozza cheese. Very delicious. Serve on bun with cheese. Can be served with pasta or over rice. Remember to reduce amount for DRIED basil. Must use Marsala wine (sweet).

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Bizzo:
    I just made some of that and put in some small
    Elbow Macaroni and
    some pieces of Picknic Ham . " Pasta Fasulli "

Clare:
    Thank You , I don't have an exact Chile recipe, Just wing it and add Spices to taste.

I assume everyone has their own, that they like.

You can give me your Recipe.

BEFORE I GO !!!

Here is one more tip for Swedish Style Meatballs in Brown Gravy.
    Add 1/2 and 1/2 Ground Beef and Sausage. A lot of Recipes call for Pork.

Lou

• gardengrl
    14 years ago

This recipe is in this month's Bon Appetit. Sounds delish!

Sausage, Fontina, and Bell Pepper Strata

6 large eggs
    2 1/2 cups whole milk
    2 cups sliced green onions
    1/2 cup whipping cream
    1/2 cup finely grate Romano cheese
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 lb hot Italian sausages, casings removed
    1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch wide strips (cleaned and deseeded)
    1 1-pound loaf of rustic French bread, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
    2 cups loosely packed coarsely grated Fontina cheese

Preheat oven to 350°. Butter a 13x9x2 inch ceramic or glass baking dish. Whisk first 7 ingredients in large bowl; sprinkle generously with pepper. Set aside.

Place sausage in a large nonstick skillet; push to 1 side. Add bell pepper to other side of skillet. Saute over high heat, breaking up sausage with fork, until sausage is cooked through and bell peppers are brown in spots, about 7 minutes.

Arrange half of bread slices in prepared dish. Pour half of egg mixture over. Sprinkle with half of cheese, then half of sausage-pepper mixture. Repeat layering. Let stand 20 minutes, occasionally pressing on bread to submerge. Bake strata until puffed and brown, about 1 hour. Cool slightly.

• kathleen_li
    14 years ago

Sausage Bread..

Recipe

• foodonastump
    14 years ago

Lots of great ideas here. I tried Shaun's rice and sausage casserole last night. Very easy, very nice simple dish. Thanks Shaun and Linda the Italian Lady!

One question - does anyone else find breaking up "de-casinged" sausage meat while sauteing to be a PITA? I always have. Seems to take two spatulas and more effort than would seem necessary. Any tips?

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Foodona:
    Sometimes Sausage has a lot of Grissle, which makes it hard to pull apart when Sauteeing.

I flatten it on a Cutting Board and slice it two ways,then put it into a hot Skillet to Saute.

Clare: I thought of another use for Italian Sausage.

Italian Easter Cheese Cake, made with Ricotta and Sausage

I don't have a Recipe handy but if anyone wants it,
    I'll Post it.
    Lou

• triciae
    14 years ago

foodona...

Yes, I have the same issue with breaking up sausage while sauteeing. I've quit struggling with it. Now, I just break it into pieces, cook until no longer pink & then remove it from the pan with a slotted spoon & put in the FP. Two or three quick pulses & it's perfect. Yes, I then have to put the FP in the D/W but the sausage is always uniform. Well worth the extra bowl in the D/W.

/tricia

• hawk307
    14 years ago

tricia:
    Another trick I learned.
    Everyone said when making Meat balls or Meatloaf don't mix the meat too much.
    I did this for 100 years.

Well, you know I'm sort of a Rebel.
    One time I mixed all the dry ingredients together and
    threw all the meat and
    Bread Crumb mix in the KA Mixer Bowl and used the Paddle
    Beater on it for about 2 minutes.

I said to myself this is going to make tough Meatballs.

The Gristle was all collected on the Paddle, it pulled it out of the meat.

The Meatballs were the best I ever made.
    Now,I use the KA to make Meatloaf, also.
    Lou

• annie1992
    14 years ago

I love chard and sausage soup similar to the one Ruthanna posted, I make it every year when the swiss chard is ready. Jim's Beans, Greens and Sausage sound really good to me too.

Elery and I make our own Italian sausage, because Elery used to work in a little Italian grocery in Monroe, owned by a guy named Castilicci or something similar, LOL. Our version has Moscato wine, Asiago cheese and lots of fennel, but it's mild and sweet, not at all spicy. My favorite use for it is to make lentil soup. I like this recipe, which originally called for broccoli rabe but can never find broccoli rabe so I substitute whatever greens are available.

Sausage and Lentil Stew
    (Eating Well)

Vegetable cooking spray
    1 pound sweet Italian pork sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
    2 large carrots, sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)
    1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    3 1/2 cups chicken broth
    2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
    1 bay leaf
    2 cups cubed red potatoes
    1/2 cup uncooked dry lentils
    2 cups coarsely chopped greens or broccoli rabe

Spray a 6-quart saucepot with the cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add the sausage and cook until it's well browned, stirring often. Pour off any fat.

Add the carrots, onion, and garlic to the saucepot and cook until the vegetables are tender.

Stir in the broth, oregano, bay leaf, potatoes and lentils and heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 40 minutes or until the lentils are tender.

Stir in the greens. Cook for 5 minutes or until the greens become tender. Discard the bay leaf.

Calories 197, Total Fat 8g, Saturated Fat 3g, Cholesterol 15mg, Sodium 769mg, Total Carbohydrate 21g, Dietary Fiber 7g, Protein 11g, Vitamin A 99%DV, Vitamin C 15%DV, Calcium 10%DV, Iron 17%DV

Annie

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

I cook the sausage in a very old, very seasoned cast iron skillet, using a slotted potato masher to squish it down, then scrape it with a wooden flat beveled spoon - spatula. I continue doing this while it cooks over med high heat. It breaks up nicely and you can easily get it to the size crumbles you want quickly with very little clean up.

This is a recipe I have cooked for years and adapted it to our ever changing tastes. It came from a magazine that adapted it from "The New Chili Cuisine" by Nancy S. Hughes. I am cooking this for dinner tonite as the rain, chill and gloom just won't seem to leave. ~* My changes (almost the entire recipe, but I do not want to take credit for the original ~ which I have included)

SAUSAGE, WHITE BEAN AND PASTA CHILI

1 lb mild Italian sausages, casings removed ~* Hot Italian
    2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes, undrained ~* Del Monte Petite diced tomatoes w/ jalapenos
    ~* Onion - coarsely chopped
    14 oz chicken broth ~*32 oz homemade chicken or turkey broth
    4 oz chopped green chilis, rinsed & grained ~* 1/2 c(?) chopped sliced jalenpoes from jar I always have - amt - to taste so not to spicy
    2 tsp paprika ~*omit
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper ~* Chipotle red pepper (McCormicks)
    2 T ground cumin
    ~* Chipotle Tabasco sauce to taste
    15 oz can Cannellie beans, rinsed & drained
    2/3 cup tiny pasta, cooked - makes 1 1/3 cups ~* omit often

Cook sausage breaking it into small chunks until lightly brown. * Remove sausage and blot excess grease
    Saute the chopped onion and chopped jalapenos in the same skillet until tender.
    In a small dutch oven or heavy saucepan, add the tomatoes and their liquid, chicken broth, green chilis, and spices. Add the sausage & onion. Stir well to combine.
    Bring to a boil, reduce heat & simmer, uncovered for 25 minutes.
    Remove from the heat, stir in beans & pasta ~ * I add the pasta to the individual bowls.
    Reheat & serve. ~ Top with fresh Parmesan.
    Serve with cornbread and or tortilla chips.

This is very quick and easy. I hope all my changes don't intimate you. You can make this as spicy as you want - or not! It also freezes very well!

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Annie:
    How come I forget the obvious and light bulbs keep lighting.
    We make the Lentil Soup often and the exact same recipe.
    My youngest Daughter loves it.
    I have some in the freezer now.
    Lou

• annie1992
    14 years ago

LOL, Lou, there's never enough left here to freeze, I love the stuff!

Annie

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for the added recipes. We could make a cookbook out of all these recipes.

Kathleen li - that Sausage Bread really looks good!

Annie 1992 - Your Lentil Stew sounds good too. I have made a vegetarian one for over 35 years. Maybe I will try it with sausage next time. Love it with homemade bread on a rainy winter's day.

magothyrivergirl - I will have to try your chili recipe sometime.

Lou - Italian Easter Cheese Cake, made with Ricotta and Sausage ??? Sounds very interesting. When I think cheese cake I think dessert.
    Here is my Chili recipe. I admit it, I use a mix that has a blend of spices. I will try it with the sausage next time. I have been using this blend since it came out.
    BTW - where are you going?
    Clare

Carroll Shelby's Original Texas Style Chili

Ingredients
    2 pounds ground beef
    1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
    2 cups water
    1 package Carroll Shelby's Chili Kit

Instructions
    Brown ground beef in large skillet. Drain fat. Add tomato sauce and water. Add Large Spice Packet and salt to taste. For spicier chili, add cayenne pepper (Small Red Packet). Cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve piping hot. Makes 5 servings.

The Chili spices are: chili peppers, garlic, cumin, oregano, onion and paprika. You can add the whole packet of cayenne pepper packet also if you like it really hot. The masa flour is used to thicken the chili. I don't use it because we like our chili on the thinner side. I do add a can of pinto beans and a can of red kidney beans.

• shaun
    14 years ago

Foodonastump........ so happy you tried that recipe and liked it!!

• m_kay
    12 years ago

OH WOW! this are so great ideas and thanks for posting the question !!! My fiance is allegric to pountry so i have to find different things to make and i love these. thanks everyone.