Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ensure ice cream

Posted by jojoco (My Page) on
Tue, May 25, 10 at 18:22

A family member has had health issues lately and his doctors have recommended Ensure. But if you have ever tried it, (and I did, out of solidarity), you might find as we did, that it is dreadful. Even more so, if you are under 85 years old. However, I did find a recipe for Ensure ice cream that is pretty good. My family member said it is a huge improvement. So, here it is for those of you who know someone who drinks Ensure by necessity and not choice:

Ensure Ice Cream
Ingredients:

1 envelope unflavored gelatin
2 Tbsp cold water
3 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp light corn syrup
1 cups of any flavor Ensure
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1) Soften gelatin in cold water.
2) Add sugar and corn syrup. Heat slowly to dissolve sugar and gelatin.
3) Combine Ensure, oil and gelatin-sugar mixture. Mix well and pour into blender. Blender capacity should be at least 5 cups. Blend for a few minutes on high.
4) Add vanilla extract, if desired, and mix well. Or add fruit to the blender at this point. Blend well.
5) Pour blended mix into an 8x8 square pan (or individual dishes. Freeze until very firm.

Make three cup servings.

Nutritional Information
Calories 120
Protein 2 g
Carbohydrate 15 g
Fat 6 g
Sodium 40 g
Potassium 60 g

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ensure ice cream

What a great idea! You should post this over on the Care Givers Forum. Some of the members there might find it very useful.

I've never tasted Ensure, but my mom's doctor wanted her to use it for a while. She never liked milk, malts, or shakes, so drinking Ensure was a problem. She didn't like it at all.

I know that elders usually still enjoy sweets, so making ice cream out of a medical necessity is a wonderful idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Care Givers Forum

o

Fantastic idea! Thanks for sharing.

DHs 93 yo grandfather has been told to drink this stuff and as you mentioned, he hates it. He does have a fierce sweet toothe though, so I am sending it along to MIL to see if she can get someone to make it for him.

Thanks!!!!

Alexa

o

You know, Carnation makes an Instant Breakfast that provides pretty much the same nutrition and it is actually drinkable and it's cheaper. When I was a home health nurse I recommended it to my patients because they couldn't afford Ensure.

o

I had to drink ensure for a while. I liked the chocolate one the best.

Wow momj47, I didnt know that. Good to learn that.

Thanks JO - nice picture.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here