Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whitefish filets How to?

Posted by ci_lantro (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 12 at 17:37

I picked up some whitefish filets and need some ideas on the best way to prepare them. Also, ideas for sides. Just made up Ina's Wild Rice Salad and need something else to go with?

Don't have much exposure to fish here...just the panfish that we catch & DH thinks all fish must be fried, BUT, I'm thinking something else for the whitefish? Or not?

Oh, fast and easy is good.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whitefish filets How to?

I usually do a light saute with just a dusting of seasoned flour, half butter and half oil in the pan.

Whitefish is so sweet and mild, you don't want to over power it.

I have also deep fried it, using a light batter.

A green vegetable would be good with it...green beans, broccoli or peas.

Nancy

o

We love this recipe from NY Seafood Council. I use less shrimp and cut up 3 scallops. I have also used frozen seafood mix from Trader Joes - a small amt I had leftover.

This heats up well the next day if you have any leftovers.

This would be delicious with Ina's rice. Any veggie, and you have.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nick's Stuffed Hake fillets

o
RE: Whitefish Roulade

Here's another idea for whitefish. I posted it on the Cookalong Wine thread... it's near the bottom of the thread.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong #40 ---- Wine

o

Well, DH announced that he has a bad belly so I'm not cooking fish tonight. DSII & I made spaghetti carbonara instead. (DS's favorite.) (Jello for DH.) So the fish will be for dinner tomorrow if DH is sufficiently recovered. Ina's salad will be better after an overnight in the refrig.

Thank you for the recipe ideas. A couple of them sound wonderful but a bit over the top for me. Don't have access to quality seafood here in central Wisconsin. Anyway, I'll probably try the light saute because it's easy and I won't have to make a grocery run.

I've eaten whitefish only one time and that was in a restaurant in Sault Ste Marie several years ago. I don't remember how it was prepared but I do remember that it was the most wonderful fish that I'd ever eaten. Being a restaurant, I imagine that it was either sauteed or broiled. Hope mine turns out half so good!

o

Whitefish sauteed in butter....dressed with a bit of lemon and chopped fresh parsley...
With asparagus....and maybe tiny boiled newpotatoes with more of that butter and parsley.
Delicate fish needs a gentle hand with the seasoning.
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here