Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can you unsalt a salted nut?

Posted by bbstx (My Page) on
Thu, May 3, 12 at 17:36

My recipe calls for unsalted pistachios. I can only find salted - either shelled or in the shells. Can I quickly blanch them to get the salt off?

Could I substitute pecans?

Here is a link that might be useful: Chow Mexican Wedding Cookies

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can you unsalt a salted nut?

I like these cookies better when they're a little "too salty" and usually add quite a bit of extra sea salt. Your linked recipe calls for salt, so I would think that if you used the salted nuts and didn't add the extra salt, you'd come out about even Steven.

o

You can rinse off the salt, dry well and very lightly toast them to give it that final dry. However, I would probably do what the above poster recommends and omit the salt in place of the salted nuts. There have been a lot of new sweet desserts that are topped with savoury seasonings like sea salt and even bacon!

o

I make that same cookie with pecans.....and call them "pecan snow balls"....carefully skirting any political issues...;P.
I'd use pecans until you can find unsalted pistachios. Trader Joe's carrys them...like ground as a coating for fish cillets to be baked.

Here is a link that might be useful: pistachios

o

I grew up knowing them as "snowballs" and when I found the similar recipe it was called "Mexican Wedding Cookies". (Interesting trivia tidbit about Russian Teacakes, if true). I don't put nuts in mine. Grew up without them and prefer the texture without the nuts.

If you want them in there, just omit the salt and they should be fine. You could always try a small batch first to see what you think of them.

o

I make mine with pecans, they are one of my most popular Christmas Cookies. Oddly my mother, who also made them as part of her Christmas cookie repertoire, called them "Swedish Wedding Cookies" :-)

o

These are 'nut butter balls' from a Good Housekeeping cookbook, ca., 1958, altho no zest and only extract is vanilla. One of my two fave cookies in the world. Pecans or walnuts, unsalted.

I do sometimes rinse salted nuts in my hand, under the faucet. Gotta be careful. Then close your fist and shake! Repeat, every 10 minutes!

o

Thanks, all! DD was able to find unsalted pistachios at her local Trader Joe's (which is also the closest Trader Joe's to me but the 4 hour drive for me, makes "local" relative). She is bringing them when she comes home this weekend!

If these cookies are good, I'll make again with pecans!

I don't know why I didn't think of using salted nuts and reducing other salt in the recipe!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here