Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Long Term Storage for Medium Grain Brown Rice

Posted by roseblush1 (My Page) on
Sat, May 12, 12 at 17:05

I am new to this forum and would appreciate any help you can provide about long term storage of brown rice.

Medium grain brown rice is no longer available at my local grocery stores and it is my favorite rice because it adds a nutty flavor to some dishes that is better than using long grain brown rice. I finally was able to order it from Amazon.com. I got 6 two pound bags of rice and need to store five of them.

Unfortunately, when I was able to just buy this kind of rice at the grocery story, I found it tends to attract moths, so storing it in the cupboard doesn't sound like a great idea.

Some cooking sites say to freeze it cooked .. that's a lot of cooking for storage. Other sites say to freeze the rice, but they do not say whether I should freeze it in it's original package in and then in a freezer bag or open the package and just store it in a freezer bag.

Can anyone tell me the best way to store the rice long term?

Smiles,
Lyn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Long Term Storage for Medium Grain Brown Rice

I always keep my raw brown rice in the freezer. In it's regular heavy plastic bag and in another container, just so I can find it! The bag of rice inside a freezer bag is a good idea.

I've never heard of cooking it first and is completely unnecessary IMO.

o

I agree with jasdip. Your frozen bags of rice will be just fine. I'm not sure you even need to put them in freezer bags unless you're leery of the original bags tearing.

o

I also suggest freezing, but vacuum-seal it first using a FoodSaver, OR, in Mylar bags and use oxygen absorbers to remove the oxygen from the bags. Unfortunately, there is really no true "long-term" storage for brown rice - only white rice, but oxygen-free storage AND in the freezer are the best and preferred over room-temperature storage.

Oxygen-free storage helps prevents the oils going rancid and the freezer slows the oils and nutrients from degrading. But it only slows it down - but doesn't completely prevent it. It will eventually go rancid even in the freezer.

You might consider growing your own medium-grain rice in buckets as outlined in the book "Homegrown Whole Grains" by Sara Pitzer (page 121) to assure you have a source for it. Check your local library for a copy.

Bob's Red Mill carries medium-grain brown rice, and I'm sure there are other resources for it on-line. I use short- or medium-grain brown rice for milling into rice flour. Long-grain brown (or white) rice is fine for milling if you want to use it as a thickener or breading, but for baked goods (rice flour is often an ingredient in gluten-free baked goods) short- and medium-grain rice are best.

-Grainlady

o

Thank you all for responding so quickly.

jasdip ... I am sooooo glad I don't have to cook the rice ! I almost gagged when I read that.

kathleenca ... Since I am guessing it is going to take a while to use that much rice, I will probably double bag it. I've noticed that if I don't double bag frozen veggies, they tend to get freezer burn ... yes, I do have a good freezer.

grainlady ... I really should get a FoodSaver since I only go grocery shopping once a month. What are "oxygen absorbers"? I've never heard of them. I'll probably use my old fashioned way of removing as much air as possible from the freezer bag using a straw for now. Also, how do you determine if the rice has gone rancid ... the hard way ... cook it and taste it ?

I'll check if I can get Sara Pizer's book on an inter-library loan. Our small library is totally inadequate for finding that kind of reference. It sounds like a good read.

Smiles,
Lyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here