Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potato salad in aluminum pan?

Posted by diinohio (My Page) on
Sat, May 30, 09 at 17:00

I am making potato salad for a graduation party tomorrow, I used 10 lbs. of potatoes and don't have a bowl(s) big enough so I went and got 2 very deep aluminum toss away pans. Now my question, can I store the salad in these over night? Will it taste metallic?

Thanks,

Di

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potato salad in aluminum pan?

Hi Di!

I have no basis in fact for my opinion so will not be suprised if others disagree.

I would not store potato salad in a metallic pan overnight although I have no issue with serving it that way.

If it were me I would mix it and store in large plastic storage bags and refrigerate. Then turn into the foil pans when ready to serve.

As an aside, when I am making a large potato salad for the next day I under dress it and then add the rest of the dressing just before serving. Otherwise the potaoes seem to "suck up" all the dressing.

o

Chase-
I make potato salad all the time, just not this much! It's for my best friend's DD party. I didn't even think about it when I bought the pans, but I am so glad I asked! The bags are a great idea, and I will use the aluminum for serving.

Re-dressing is something I may try. Does it make the salad mushy?! I mean like break up the pieces of potato? The reason I ask is because I have had potato salad that was just basically mashed potatoes with all the other stuff, and I didn't like it as well.

Thanks alot

Di

o
RE: ///Potato salad in aluminum pan?

Di,

My potato salad is very chunky.

Not sure what type of dressing you use but I find that the potatoes tend to absorb a lot of the dressing when it's kept overnight. To offset that, I toss the salad , just before serving, with a bit more dressing that I have thinned out with a bit of a vinegar/mayo mix.

o
RE: ///Potato salad in aluminum pan?

Di,

My potato salad is very chunky.

Not sure what type of dressing you use but I find that the potatoes tend to absorb a lot of the dressing when it's kept overnight. To offset that, I toss the salad , just before serving, with a bit more dressing that I have thinned out with a bit of a vinegar/mayo mix.

o

Chase,

I forgot to tell you how much "I've" been enjoying your trip!

o

Di, glad you have been following the adventure.....but watch out we are headed towards Ohio!!!! LOL

Hope everything works well for tomorrow.

Sharon

o

In case you need another opinion, I agree with Sharon/Chase. I don't store acedic things in aluminum for any length of time
The potato salad will only be mushy if you over cooked your potatoes. I don't "under dress" my salad....I like the potatoes to absorb the dressing....but I always have extra dressing to add the next day.
Enjoy the party!
Linda C

o

Im always making this for friends and family parties and I always make it in aluminum trays unless its for my own home,,,never had a problem and I always make it a day ahead.

o

I've never stored food in those aluminum pans because I've never had refrigerator room to fit one in, LOL.

I store things as Chase suggested, in plastic bags, because they store more easily and take us so much less room.

I also make extra dressing to add to potato salad the next day, because my family likes lots of dressing.

Annie

o

Thanks guys

Photobucket

worked out perfectly!

Chase if your comming to southern Ohio I would love to meet you!

Di

o

Your potato salad looks delicious!
In the past when I have made potato salad for a large group I made it the day before and stored it in aluminum pans in the refrigerator and never thought a thing about it. It tasted fine.

A few years ago I started baking my potatoes for salad instead of boiling. The potato salad keeps better and doesn't get "watery." We like our potato salad chunky and the potatoes hold their shape better.

Chase, I enjoyed keeping up with your road trip also. I know you had alot of fun!

o

I have GOT to make some potato salad!

o

I have no real reason for this but I do not like to store things in aluminum pans especially anything with that might be acidic.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here