Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canned lump crab meat - fav brands?

Posted by marys1000 (My Page) on
Wed, May 21, 08 at 16:43

I got an a teaser thing from CI recently and one of the teaser articles was on a test of different lump crab meats. They showed a picture of the winning can but I can't make out what it was and it probably isn't available around here anyway. I think I've only seen....Phillips? Is that the big name I always see?
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had actually made crab cakes from canned and if so how was it and what was your favorite brand of canned.
I'm not a big fan of seafood but fresh crab cakes when I'm in D.C. or Delaware, yes!

Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canned lump crab meat - fav brands?

I buy Flower brand crab meat in a 6-1/2 oz. jar. It's much better than anything I've had from a can. It comes from Thailand, however. I tend to buy frozen crab meat if I want to keep some on hand, however.

Lars

o

Costco carries the one-pound cans of Phillips, so that's what I buy. I think the can is $14.99/pound (?) It's pretty good and makes good crab cakes. It's also from Thailand. Lump crab meat from the Chesapeake Bay has become prohibitively expensive. Costco also sells frozen Phillips crab cakes that are pretty good, for frozen crab cakes, and the cost is comparable to buying crabmeat and making your own.

o

I'm all for fresh blue crab meat when I can get it but as virginia said, it is expensive (I live in Virginia). I will buy Jumbo Lump Crabmeat from Costco also which is Phillips but once again as Virginia said it is Thailand. Lots of people are fooled by the Phillips name because they (once upon a time) were an excellent Maryland Crab House that had ONLY Blue Crabs from the Chesapeake but not anymore. But I will say that it does taste very similar to blue crab and the cost you can't beat. What I buy at Costco is not in a can but in a 16 oz. plastic container and is Jumbo Lump and it costs $19.99 (jumped a $1.00 this past year). If I buy at Wegman's it is $28.99+.

o

Chesapeake blue crab can't be beat for flavor. I prefer it to lobster or any other crab I've eaten. It is expensive though if you pay someone else to pick the meat.

I haven't purchased any canned blue crab in ages, haven't even seen it for a long time in the stores I go to. It used to be packed in one pound cans which were pasteurized in a process gentler than regular canning, resulting in a product much like fresh crab meat which would keep well under refigeration. The back fin (lump)meat was packed separately and sold for a higher price.

I think this type of crab meat is not widely distributed, but if you can find it and if you can afford it, you will have a very good product, indistinguishable from fresh.

Most of the crab meat I have consumed was either blue crabs caught by me and the family (a fun sport for all ages) or live crabs bought by the bushel. Boil them up with Old Bay seasoning and dump them on a paper covered picnic table. Crack and pick at your own pace and wash them down with beer (lemonade for the kids). There's no better way to enjoy crabs. And catching them yourself is cheap entertainment.

Jim

o
Maryland style crab

Here is an article on blue crabs that you might find interesting..

Here is a link that might be useful: Thailand crabs vs. blue

o

Very interesting. Thanks.

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here