Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cheese bits - fondue? Mac/cheese? Cheese ball?

Posted by caliloo (My Page) on
Mon, May 6, 13 at 16:40

I need inspiration. I have a bunch of little cheese bits languishing in the fridge. All are small amounts, 1/4 lb or less (much less in some cases) and I am trying to figure out a way to use some or all of them up. I was thinking of tossing them all in the food processor with a little garlic and white wine and grinding them into a cheese spread/ball sort of thing but I am open to suggestions. They don't all need to be used at once, but what I have available is:

Chaumes
Regular Manchego
Rosemary Covered Manchego
Sharp Cheddar
Beemster Vlaskaas
Gruyere
Jarlsberg
Moody Blue (smoked blue cheese)

What would you do with leftovers of this sort?

Thanks
Alexa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cheese bits - fondue? Mac/cheese? Cheese ball?

I'd probably make a quiche out of whatever vegetables or other ingredients I had small amounts of on hand to use up too.

o

I make my own egg mc muffins by microwaving an egg in a bowl with some cheese chopped up in it, scramble as I go and serve on rye bread toast. Yum!

Can't think of gruyere and not think of onion soup....

Bleu cheese over salad with walnuts and dried cranberries with some raspberry vinaigrette....

o

This happened to me after the holidays. I had so many bits!
I make fritatas or quiche often on sundays. I'll tuck one variety along the crust edge with sauted spinach and onion, (squeezed of water) and try a different one in the middle with whatever veggies make sense...
With really firm hard ends, the whole thing dropped in a brothy veggie/chic soup. Via the Italians, Lydia and Marcella. If it is possible chop it into small cubes without the rind, i'll leave them in. If too hard, it can be fished out before serving...adds a nice rich flavor.
Softer cheeses i have no clue what to do with...i hope for early funkiness so i can toss it!
Last night i used up an end of manchego by getting off what i could, chopped fine(ish) and put it on some thin sliced bread rounds and broiled toasty, top side, for soup.
(bread was frozen, soup frozen from a batch i made after easter)
MoodyBlue? not had that, sounds delish. With the 'blues' i usually cut off a 1/4-1/2 inch all the way around all sides, if even possible, and see whats up. Probably would use that for pizza night...w/ caramelized onions, olives, proscuitto, arugula, and artichoke hearts. Homemade pizza fri nights about once a month and use up a ton of 'bits'.

o

Great ideas all! I bet my bits are gone before the week is out :-)

Thanks so much for the inspiration

Alexa

o

Yes, pizza! I love unusual cheeses on pizzas.

o

DD brings me free bags of cheese ends from the butcher shop where she works. I grated them up and freeze in 1 and 2 cup portions. I use the cheese for pizza topping, mac & cheese, omelets, quiche, to top burgers, in stuffing for stuff peppers or mushrooms and mixed with panko to bread chicken and pork.

o

I would do exactly what you said in your original post. Jacques Pepin calls it "Fromage Fort". It makes a delicious spread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jacques Pépin: Fromage Fort .

o

May, that was one fantastic video. I love him anyhow, so knowledgeable and so charming. Made me want to go see if I had any odds, ends, and rinds!

So do you make fromage fort? What do you do with it? They showed toasted baguette slices with it melted on top. Looked pretty good.

o

Thanks all!

Since I still haven't addressed the bits, I think I will use some of them for fromage fort and the rest on pizza, etc. May, I have done that before, I just didn't know there was an official name for it! LOL! Thanks!

Alexa

o

What a great idea! And you already were on that track.
I'm making that tonight and i only have fresh hunks. Gorgonzola, Irish chedar, Manchego...i'll have to use plain yogurt, maybe a splash of ac vinegar, scoop of
grainy mustard....don't have wine on hand. Not really 'stink' old cheese, but might be nice with a steak and tomato salad.
-thanks for the video link.

o

Fromage Fort is done - I can honestly say I love that I had the rosemary crusted Manchego to include, it lends a wonderful herby flavor to it. And I went with 1 clove of garlic, otherwise it gets really strong sitting in the fridge for a day or so.

The Moody Blue will probably go on pizzette with caramelized onions tomorrow. I am having a few friends over (they were supposed to come last night, life got in the way) and I am making Ruthannas olive and anchovy bites too. OMG we will all be stinking to high Heaven with all the garlic, olives, cheese, anchovies, etc but we will be in good company so I guess it is okay.

Thank you again for all the inspiration, I now have a trove of ideas what to do with left over cheeses!

Alexa

o

Love this idea!

o

I do make it, and often don't actually wait till I have extra pieces of cheese laying around. I just eat it with a good crusty bread or crackers. It makes a great appetizer when you have guests. And it's different every time since it depends on which cheeses you mix up. I used a chili pepper cheddar in the mix once and it gave it a wonderful kick which really melded well with the wine & garlic.

It's so easy to whip up and the best thing is that making it ahead a day or two just gives all the flavors a chance to blend.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here