SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sleevendog

nutty shopping spree

I avoid it, all shopping. This goes on for weeks. I even have a good list system finally so i can get it done quick...it has been at least 6 weeks. (dh does some easy stops for maybe eggs and greens once a week, but minor things)

Early sunday i did a speedy trip...two local nurseries looking for a decent pot for my new meyer lemon tree, (big love on that purchase!), Italian market nearby, zip-zoom, health food store, regular market, Lowes,(!?), even Costco, (what!)...no lines anywhere, no trouble.

The meyer lemon pot is all wrong. Looks like it has taken via*#^(a stimulant)...has to go back. (what was i thinking?). Bacon from a local farm, and a real treat for us, has a feb sell- by date...did not notice. A tube type package of powdered buttermilk i sorta like, not on my list, but like having it, the seal is broken, (!?). Says refridge after opening...grrr. Light bulbs, after all that mess a few years ago finding good home decent lighting, we finally found one last year...two of the 6 bulbs are not working...gotta go back. Costco i avoid like the plague, but forgot the two things i stock up on since i only swing by every three months. Oh well, haha.
Ah, and the new hose splitter at the outdoor link, to replace the broken leaky one, leaks. (its not the gasket)
...Maybe i should play the lottery, and pile onto the loosing streak.
Even produce looked dismal.
Did score some lovely fresh meaty spinach. Not bought that in a very long time. Often has a limp stinky slimy bit. We usually wait for our garden crop.
One small success. At least it is a healthy one.

Comments (15)

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh darn, where is the pic...that was the whole point...

Original Author
    9 years ago

and...double post

This post was edited by sleevendog on Tue, May 13, 14 at 17:29

• Related Discussions

Shopping spree

Q

Comments (5)
    Those are all so cute. I hope they all live for you this time. I used to have trouble with string of pearls, too, but now they thrive and grow thanks to moving them to the gritty mix. I think the "bear paws" is my favorite of the group. I love how the edges ("claws") turn red in the sun, so adorable. Please post updates so we can watch how they progress and grow. I admit to having trouble saying no to those tempting tiny pots of succulents at the garden centers. They are so promising and there are so very many varieties. We need a thread of 'Plants I Resisted'. ;-)
    ...See More

Did you see the Houzz Sweepstakes for a $10k Shopping Spree?

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi All, Wanted to make sure you saw this in case you haven't seen the any news about this yet. Houzz is currently running a sweepstakes open to US residents to win a $10,000 shopping spree on Houzz! To enter, you just review a designer, builder, plumber, painter, or basically any home pro you have worked with. You can also enter multiple times. :) Didn't want you all to miss out. You can see the full terms and enter here: http://bit.ly/1M64EaV Oh, and please spread the word and share with your friends!
    ...See More

Did you see the Houzz Sweepstakes for a $10k Shopping Spree?

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks for the info Emily.
    ...See More

$288 shopping spree

Q

Comments (28)
    Oh, you are killing me! I will be away for three weeks beginning on July 1, so I dare not add anything to the garden this year. The last time I showed my DH what to be sure to water while I was gone turned out to be an exercise in futility. The things I showed him were the only things that were pretty much left to fry. Sigh. I will live vicariously through you until fall when I buy up all the uglies and look foward to next spring. Oh, I do need a new Whee. Mine seems to have disappeared and I do like that one so much!
    ...See More
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

Is it difficult for you to go shopping? or just too expensive? I'm wondering why you don't go more often. I grocery shop several times a week, there is always something I am out of or want and produce alone makes me go often. But I also like shopping for nearly everything and it all is convenient.
    When I have certain cravings, then I have to have that food all the time. Lately, broccoli slaw.

Original Author
    9 years ago

: )...no, just busy wanting to do other things. Work, garden, general loving the home.
    Projects, my studio, a love of pruning...all the things spring brings.

We have a hoot shopping together. I just got up early to do undesirable tasks thinking i did so well but had some failures. I'm actually in good spirits once in a store. Helping others navigate.
    I left DH home to sleep in after a long work week.

I just lost a photo somehow of an easy shopping list system i thought i would share.

• plllog
    9 years ago

At least you can dwell on meyer lemon love. :)

• annie1992
    9 years ago

sleevendog, it's not funny, really, but it is. Doesn't that just seem to be the way it goes? Just when you think it's all going well, the bottom falls out, LOL.

I like to grocery shop in "fun" stores, like the Mediterranean Market or Russo's, but everyday shopping for laundry soap and such isn't fun at all. I avoid it. Plus, it's 100 miles round trip to a big town like Grand Rapids, so that's kind of a "special occasion" for us, we'll go to Penzey's, Russo's, Costco, the Mediterranean Market, perhaps the Asian place, have some lunch somewhere in there.

It's 60 miles just to a much smaller place but it does have a Meijer and an Aldi. I'm lucky that much of my "shopping" takes place in my freezer and my basement and that my local independent grocer has pretty good produce!

At least you didn't have to wait in line, that's a good thing given the results.

Annie

• grainlady_ks
    9 years ago

It's a shopping jungle out there (even here in the middle of nowhere), especially when you add in a lot of travel time and have a number of stops. I don't know how anyone can use shopping for "therapy" or "sport", and I've never been bored enough to think shopping will cure it.

I go to Wal-Mart 7 a.m. Sunday morning (or earlier) a couple times a month - and avoid it any other time of the day, or day of the week, to avoid crowds.

Groceries - Wednesday - 8 a.m. - best meat bargains and the clearance shelves are loaded.

General shopping - Every other month - and when it's "shopping month", I only go out the first week and the last week of that month - and often only go out once because I'm a great list maker.

I agree with Annie - with home food storage you can "shop" at home.

These are some things I order in bulk and have delivered to my front step:

-Charlie's Soap (laundry - 1,250 loads per bucket - lasts 2.5 - 3 years)

-Grandma's Country Cream Non-fat Dry Milk Powder - 25# pail - lasts 1-year +

-Morning Moo's Whey-Based Milk Substitute - 37# pail (I order it from Sam's Club to save on shipping) - 1-yr. +

-Honeyville Grain ($4.49 shipping for entire order and I order about twice a year during a 20% sale) - freeze-dried fruit/vegetables/meats, almond and coconut flour (although I'm making more of both at home with almonds and unsweetened coconut purchased in bulk), hi-maize resistant starch....

-I order many of our staple food items on-line: coconut palm sugar, coconut oil, etc.

-Grainlady

Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm still freezer shopping. Still have lots of fish we caught. A couple bags of blueberries and raspberries. Corn, stocks. Low on garden harvest veggies.
    Early planted arugula and mesclun and greens i planted thick will be ready to pick this weekend.
    It is just all those returns i have on the list now. I'll just put it off a few days so i can 'piggy back' the trip for other things that pop up. The front porch bulbs are out and they are some odd size. The door knob is acting iffy and needs to be replaced...finally found one on-line but back ordered. (oh great, haha)

Just looked at that great bag of spinach...from Ontario. I've not had a spinach this good in a long time. Curious what variety it is. I made an asian slaw and chicken salad and we've been using the spinach as the roll-up bread. Thinking of a spinach frittata tonight...no need to shop. : )

• plllog
    9 years ago

Sport/therapy shopping is not about driving a long distance for household necessities. That's chores.

Sport shopping is usually about trolling stores for deals on high end merchandise and fashion items. A great deal on a flat screen. A designer suit at an outlet because it has an ugly makeup spot that you know you can get out.

Shopping therapy is something people who are sad do, usually buying things that they give themselves permission to spend money on that they would ordinarily be careful with on stuff they don't really need. It could be a new outfit that looks great on them, but they don't have an occasion to wear, some kind of decorative tchotchke for the house, new makeup... Anything that feels transformative, like life will be better if the art direction (as in the movies) is better, and has a good social element, either with a friend in tow, or chatting with the sales clerk about it. Chores shopping, even if it's a ball gown for a formal event, doesn't count. It's the power of spending unallocated money that creates the high, along with sharing the event with witnesses.

For sure, regular groceries don't count. :)

• bcskye
    9 years ago

Sympathize with you on the returns. Put some good $$$ into a carpet cleaner since the one I bought last year stopped sucking up. Guess what, the new one did a 5' by 20' area in the livingroom and stopped sucking up. Yes, we did vacumn really good beforehand. Took it back and got a full refund, but still, it was a hassle to go buy it, then within a day or two have to travel back to return it. Also, several days ago I bought a new electric alarm clock for my side of the bed. Smelled something strong the next night and it was the clock. It was even hot to the touch on top. Its still sitting in there, unplugged, until I have another reason to make a trip into town. I hate to have to buy anything because you never know if its going to be good or not.

Madonna

Original Author
    9 years ago

Rut roh.

I've never had a plant so tended and cared for. In just a month it has had baby lemons, flowered, new leaves, dropped a few leaves. Still has lemons growing fast. A hoot and a holler. An infant with colic. I'm about to drop it off at the fire station door in the wee hours...
    I removed the solo offending leaf. (it might be my water)
    So it needs fresh filtered water? Allergies?, haha

Original Author
    9 years ago

...or blame 'compost face' on the right of our screens for all ills.
    (we could make a nice meal out of the not-yet-ready-for compost veggies in that pic)

!?

• beachlily z9a
    9 years ago

Sleevendog, I have a Myers Lemon in my backyard. University of FL has a number of sites regarding Myers diseases. Here is a link, however, to a site that helps to id problems. It looks like your plant has "Greasy spot". Maybe not, but here is a link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Diseases of Myers Lemon trees

Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh great...acne. I've got a teenager tree now.
    (kidding)
    I'll look it up...did not see a solution on your link.
    Thanks for that!
    I did find a similar disease link with pics.

(i have a water softener that i need to shut off for yard plants and seedlings and any plants in the spring...but i totally forgot about it!)

• beachlily z9a
    9 years ago

Here's what I found in a data sheet from the University of Florida:

Greasy spot should be controlled regardless of the intended market for the fruit. The best time to assess disease severity is to observe canopy density and premature leaf drop during February and prior to the emergence of the spring flush. The previous grove history and variety will also affect severity.

In Florida, greasy spot is usually controlled with a single application of oil or oil and copper in mid-May to June or two spray applications which are timed to be applied in mid-May to June with the second application in late July. On more susceptible varieties, like grapefruit or tangelos, copper is usually required to be incorporated into the spray to achieve successful control. Petroleum oil reduces the penetration of the spores into the leaf, but does not reduce spore germination. Thus the main action of oil is to reduce greasy spot by preventing or delaying the development of symptoms, even when the pathogen is already established deeply in the leaf.

They are referring to horticulture oil when they refer to oil.

Hope this helps!!